FatJerk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question 330lbs 6' 3" Male 1200 Cal/day safe?

What do you guys think, is this too low? I'm eating mostly protein and fruit some leafy greens, not a whole lot of exercise. Seems to be losing me between .5lbs to 1lbs a day. Been doing it for a week. Kinda sucks, I'm hungry all the time. Im very large framed (wide shoulders, huge wrists, big neck, and gigantic thighs). Want to get below 300lbs by July 1st. Really I just want to know what you guys think. Is this realistic to keep up? Or do you think I will fail? Any tips? B.T.W. I think 20mg of Eph every day is the only thing allowing me to do this.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It might be ok under the right conditions for the right person in the short term. But no - it's neither healthy nor sustainable.

Also not necessary at your weight. You'd probably lose weight eating double that for a while.

Try a moderate deficit. Going to one extreme will have you back at the other which got you to 330lb in the first place.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You spent many, many years putting on all of that fat and if you want to go about this the right way and learn how to keep it off then it is likely going to take at least 2-3 years to get rid of it.

Crash dieting never works in the long term. People who follow crazy diets to try to lose fat fast invariably end up just putting any fat that they managed to lose right back on again because dieting that way fails to address the issues that got the person fat in the first place. A lack of understanding proper nutrition, portion sizes and an overall poor relationship with food.

You need to fix all of that if you want to lose the fat and keep it off for the rest of your life.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is never too soon to start lifting weights. You don't have to go balls to the wall. If you'll start now, more of the weight you lose will be fat. You might even, add a little muscle at your size - if your deficit is not ridiculous. (Right now it is.)

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by FatJerk View Post
    What do you guys think, is this too low? I'm eating mostly protein and fruit some leafy greens, not a whole lot of exercise. Seems to be losing me between .5lbs to 1lbs a day. Been doing it for a week. Kinda sucks, I'm hungry all the time. Im very large framed (wide shoulders, huge wrists, big neck, and gigantic thighs). Want to get below 300lbs by July 1st. Really I just want to know what you guys think. Is this realistic to keep up? Or do you think I will fail? Any tips? B.T.W. I think 20mg of Eph every day is the only thing allowing me to do this.
    diet down on the largest deficit you can handle while getting in enough protein and good fat and basic nutrients to support your lean mass weight. Just don’t rebound after a few weeks and put your weight back on which can happen. It needs to be sustainable and that will be an individual matter. You have a lot of fat so you have a lot of usable energy. Eph?
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    It might be ok under the right conditions for the right person in the short term. But no - it's neither healthy nor sustainable.

Also not necessary at your weight. You'd probably lose weight eating double that for a while.

Try a moderate deficit. Going to one extreme will have you back at the other which got you to 330lb in the first place.
    Thanks for the advice. I might bump it up to 2000 cal a day. It's very addicting to see a pound a day fall off though. But I agree for the sake of sustainablility I should do a smaller deficit.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    You spent many, many years putting on all of that fat and if you want to go about this the right way and learn how to keep it off then it is likely going to take at least 2-3 years to get rid of it.

Crash dieting never works in the long term. People who follow crazy diets to try to lose fat fast invariably end up just putting any fat that they managed to lose right back on again because dieting that way fails to address the issues that got the person fat in the first place. A lack of understanding proper nutrition, portion sizes and an overall poor relationship with food.

You need to fix all of that if you want to lose the fat and keep it off for the rest of your life.
    I know the profile said 50, I'm actually 22 I made a mistake when making the profile. Just gaining the weight back is what I feared with such a large deficit. And I agree about the relationship with food. I used to binge eat and the results are my weight. I weighed 350 last Fall and my weight loss stopped at 330 around March. Now I'm trying to get going again.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    It is never too soon to start lifting weights. You don't have to go balls to the wall. If you'll start now, more of the weight you lose will be fat. You might even, add a little muscle at your size - if your deficit is not ridiculous. (Right now it is.)
    I was lifting about 3 years ago. Weighed 280, could bench 345, squat 415. I haven't done that kind of lifting in years due to not having access to the equipment. But I've ordered some dumbbells and a bench and I want to ease back into lifting. I agree with this deficit I don't even feel like going for a walk. I have zero energy. I'm thinking I'll bring it up to 2000 and start some lifting and cardio. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    diet down on the largest deficit you can handle while getting in enough protein and good fat and basic nutrients to support your lean mass weight. Just don’t rebound after a few weeks and put your weight back on which can happen. It needs to be sustainable and that will be an individual matter. You have a lot of fat so you have a lot of usable energy. Eph?
    Ephedrine, a non-perscription bronchial dilator. Supresses appetite as well in my experience. Often used in a ECA stack for weight loss. (Ephedrine, Caffeine, Asprin). I do not recommend or endorse it's use outside of a doctors prescription. Thanks for the advice. A rebound is definitely something I want to avoid. How do I know what the right amount of protein is? Is there a calculator available for your bodyweight or something or is it a set amount?

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ephedrine, a non-perscription bronchial dilator. Supresses appetite as well in my experience. Often used in a ECA stack for weight loss. (Ephedrine, Caffeine, Asprin). I do not recommend or endorse it's use outside of a doctors prescription. Thanks for the advice. A rebound is definitely something I want to avoid. How do I know what the right amount of protein is? Is there a calculator available for your bodyweight or something or is it a set amount?
    Stay away from that stuff. As far as protein 200 grams a day should be fine.

Protein is what will help you to not lose lean mass, the protein amount is based on lean bodyweight when you carry as mush fat as you do. If you were leaner you'd base it on your bodyweight.

Getting on a good weightlifting program will further assist with maintaining your existing muscle mass.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 05-22-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you talk to your doctor about it? It certainly does help suppress appetite but the combo with caffeine can also make your heart rate shoot up, when taken 2-3x/day that means your heart rate is elevated all day. Likely fine for relatively healthy people but at your size, no offense, you could be causing yourself some problems and potentially serious ones at that.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Did you talk to your doctor about it? It certainly does help suppress appetite but the combo with caffeine can also make your heart rate shoot up, when taken 2-3x/day that means your heart rate is elevated all day. Likely fine for relatively healthy people but at your size, no offense, you could be causing yourself some problems and potentially serious ones at that.
    20 mg is a very low dose and that's 1xs a day, and I understand the risk and do not combine with caffeine at all. Thanks for the concern though. Regardless Ill probably quit taking it because its expensive and I've gotten to the point where I don't need it anymore. My will power has improved and watching the weight fall off is motivation enough to keep going. If I could do 1200 cal a day with it, I can stay under 2000 without. Today and yesterday I took none. Yesterday I ate 1150 calories, today I ate 1325.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Stay away from that stuff. As far as protein 200 grams a day should be fine.

Protein is what will help you to not lose lean mass, the protein amount is based on lean bodyweight when you carry as mush fat as you do. If you were leaner you'd base it on your bodyweight.

Getting on a good weightlifting program will further assist with maintaining your existing muscle mass.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to get some dumbbells that I can press/curl/lunge/squat with but unfortunately it seems all stores and Amazon are out of stock or insanely marked up right now. Do you have any recommendations for measuring my body fat %? I heard the scales that do it are junk. Are the calipers any good or are tape measures accurate enough?

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the advice. I might bump it up to 2000 cal a day. It's very addicting to see a pound a day fall off though. But I agree for the sake of sustainablility I should do a smaller deficit.
    That’s largely water weight. You’re not losing a pound of fat each day, even at 1200 calories,. 1 pound is about 3500 calories, so your body would have to be burning 4700 calories each day to actually lose a pound of fat per day. A fairly active man burns somewhere between 2500 and 3000 per day, and as you said, you’re not doing a “whole lot of exercise”, so you’re likely lower than that.

I say this not to demotivate you, but to keep you from being demotivated when that pace inevitably decreases. It’s normal for weight loss to be high in the first week or two, but it will slow down, so don’t be surprised when it does.
    My Candito Linear log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177212011&p=1581528721#post1581528721

My Fierce 5 Novice log (deprecated): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Too low, youre going to screw up your metabolism. Don't go below 2200. Diet for the long term.

Originally Posted by Igmann View Post
    Too low, youre going to screw up your metabolism. Don't go below 2200. Diet for the long term.
    How did you cone up with that number

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to get some dumbbells that I can press/curl/lunge/squat with but unfortunately it seems all stores and Amazon are out of stock or insanely marked up right now. Do you have any recommendations for measuring my body fat %? I heard the scales that do it are junk. Are the calipers any good or are tape measures accurate enough?
    If you are 6'3" and 330 pounds then you are definitely at or over 50% at the moment and shouldn't bother with worrying about the specific percentage until you have dropped 130 or more pounds.

If you can't find dumbbells at a good price then go buy a couple of 14 or 20 pound containers of cat litter and lift those. They are cheap, have handles and you can adjust the weight in them just by pouring out some of the litter if needed.

(...and yes, I'm serious. )
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    If you are 6'3" and 330 pounds then you are definitely at or over 50% at the moment and shouldn't bother with worrying about the specific percentage until you have dropped 130 or more pounds.

If you can't find dumbbells at a good price then go buy a couple of 14 or 20 pound containers of cat litter and lift those. They are cheap, have handles and you can adjust the weight in them just by pouring out some of the litter if needed.

[/img]

(...and yes, I'm serious. )
    That's actually an awesome idea. Thanks.
    Goal Weight 250lbs
    Weight As of:
    Dec 2019 350lbs
    May 2020 330lbs