almaCycle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Help! | Shredded wo calorie restriction? |(Noob)

Hi guys, i'm a noob here. I really need someone to tell me whether i'm doing everything right or not. My journey into fitness is almost 2 years long and i'm losing my patient. I wanna be shredded, now.
    I feel like i keep doing mistakes because i don't ask for help. Now i'm done, HELP!

So, to make a long story short, I'm 18, 6' 3" and went from 210lbs to 176lbs in months just by eating less and cycling more. I then got to 167lbs by doing some hard-core calorie restriction. This was my first year. Great results.
    Last summer i got to my lowest, 160lbs 17%, yet by just moving more.
    This winter i did my first proper bulk/cut cycle. I gained 22 lbs and lost it back with keto+omad+calorie restriction (3 months of hell). Was it muscle or fat? Dunno. I'm now 10 days back to carbs and I weight 4/5lbs more. Is it glycogen or fat? Dunno.
    I'm not satisfied with my results. I still look fatty; i wanna look shredded, LEAN, single digit body fat.

I wanna CUT more!

It's summer again and it's no more time to lift weights: on summer i do cycling. I'd like to cycle A LOT and keep loosing weight while maintaining my muscle...and eating normal.
    Yet i'd be pissed to see my muscles vanish after 1 month.
    I wanna lose the fat, can i do it just like i once did it 2 years ago? By eating less and moving more? No tracking the calories on a HCLF diet (85% carbs/ 60g proteins)? Does it work also to drop from 17% body fat?

Can't waste any more time. Need results. Now. Yet i don't want to starve.

I have the discipline, i need advice. I could eat at a deficit for a whole year if i knew it was a good idea. I don't wanna lose that little muscle i got. I trained real hard for it. Like, WTF! Took me months just to learn the basic movements, even got injured twice.
    Yep, I injured trying to do 1 set of deadlifts to failure. Supposedly it was the best strategy to preserve muscle while doing a lot of cardio. Got me lying in bed for 3 days. Still feel it, in the gluteus medius.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by almaCycle View Post

So, to make a long story short, I'm 18, 6' 3"
    Last summer i got to my lowest, 160lbs 17%,

It's summer again and it's no more time to lift weights:

Can't waste any more time. Need results. Now.
    Highlighted the relevant parts.

You're 6'3 and were 160lb at, by your estimation, 17% body fat. Even if that % is ballpark, that means you were still carrying considerable fat at that weight. Huge red flag.

The answer is building muscle. On top of it all, you're 18. You without doubt need to prioritize lifting weights and building muscle, don't even think about cutting right now. At 6'3 you should be closer to 200lb lean, not 150. Muscle doesn't take the summer off - so if you stop lifting while you cut calories you WILL lose muscle, so even when you're cutting you need to keep lifting.

Re: the "now" part - I remember being 18 and wanting abs but you have to understand fitness is a long game. Results don't happen in the short term, either fat loss or muscle gain. Fix your mindset and think of progress in years not months or weeks.

To get the body you see in your head, you need muscle, not just fat loss. That's the long and short of it.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You'll lose muscle if you don't lift weights while dieting.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Take it slow maintain the gains

Hi guys, i'm a noob here. I really need someone to tell me whether i'm doing everything right or not. My journey into fitness is almost 2 years long and i'm losing my patient. I wanna be shredded, now.
    I feel like i keep doing mistakes because i don't ask for help. Now i'm done, HELP!

So, to make a long story short, I'm 18, 6' 3" and went from 210lbs to 176lbs in months just by eating less and cycling more. I then got to 167lbs by doing some hard-core calorie restriction. This was my first year. Great results.
    This winter i did my first proper bulk/cut cycle. I gained 22 lbs and lost it back with keto+omad+calorie restriction (3 months of hell). Was it muscle or fat? Dunno. I'm now 10 days back to carbs and I weight 4/5lbs more. Is it glycogen or fat? Dunno.
    I'm not satisfied with my results. I still look fatty; i wanna look shredded, LEAN, single digit body fat.

I wanna CUT more!

It's summer again and it's no more time to lift weights: on summer i do cycling. I'd like to cycle A LOT and keep loosing weight while maintaining my muscle...and eating normal.
    I wanna lose the fat, can i do it just like i once did it 2 years ago? By eating less and moving more? No tracking the calories on a HCLF diet (85% carbs/ 60g proteins)? Does it work also to drop from 17% body fat?

I have the discipline, i need advice. I could eat at a deficit for a whole year if i knew it was a good idea. I don't wanna lose that little muscle i got. I trained real hard for it. Like, WTF! Took me months just to learn the basic movements, even got injured twice.
    Yep, I injured trying to do 1 set of deadlifts to failure. Supposedly it was the best strategy to preserve muscle while doing a lot of cardio. Got me lying in bed for 3 days. Still feel it, in the gluteus medius.
    My advice is to get on a good workout routine and focus on maintaining strength on a cut or even gaining strength. CUT SLOW is the best advice I can give you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This winter i did my first proper bulk/cut cycle. I gained 22 lbs and lost it back with keto+omad+calorie restriction (3 months of hell). Was it muscle or fat? Dunno. I'm now 10 days back to carbs ...
    What was your time frame for gaining the 22 lbs and what lifting program were you following? On top of the other issues already mentioned (getting over the ab obsession and looking at the long game, continuing to lift even while cutting, etc.) you need to be sure that whatever program you do is a good one.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    6' 3", 160# and 17% BF means that you had basically zero developed muscle on your frame and if you gained 22 pounds and then lost 22 pounds to put you back at the same weight then frankly most of what you "gained" bulking was fat.

Your description of your weight training deadlifts to failure as a complete noob (and injuring yourself doing it) indicates that you have no idea what you are doing at all in the gym.

If you are still fatty then don't expect to look good now or probably even this summer.

Take up a proper beginner's weight training program like 5x5, get your calorie macros sorted (by grams not percentages) and work on building yourself up to at least look decent by summer 2021.
    Last edited by Luclin999; 05-21-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I wanna CUT more!

You need about 3 more years of training to be single digit shredded for 6'3"
    Currently: traveling

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Netherlands + Croatia - 2020

CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    You need about 3 more years of training to be single digit shredded for 6'3"
    For ref, what would the minimum be at that height - 160lbs LBM and 177lbs total weight?

I guess in my mind I've been thinking 168lbs LBM and 186lbs total weight for 6ft 5 in order to single digit bf%.
    A.L.L. Leukemia 2009-2012
    Brain haemorrhage 2009
    Hip replacements 2010 & 2011
    Eating Disorder 2016-2020

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CBRIT89 View Post
    For ref, what would the minimum be at that height - 160lbs LBM and 177lbs total weight?

I guess in my mind I've been thinking 168lbs LBM and 186lbs total weight for 6ft 5 in order to single digit bf%.
    Depends on how much muscle you want on your frame. And if you're wanting to compete or just look good. And if you're natty or not.. which is likely the most important factor.
    Currently: traveling

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Netherlands + Croatia - 2020

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CBRIT89 View Post

You can be single digit body fat at any weight, it just depends how you want to look at that low body fat. The more muscle you have, the 'better' your physique will be from a bodybuilding standpoint. So you will look bigger at 200lb 10% than 180lb 10% etc.

What is your goal physique? Generally someone who is 6'3 and bodybuilding will want to be closer to 200lb to look muscular but it all depends on your goals.

CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000) CBRIT89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    You can be single digit body fat at any weight, it just depends how you want to look at that low body fat. The more muscle you have, the 'better' your physique will be from a bodybuilding standpoint. So you will look bigger at 200lb 10% than 180lb 10% etc.

What is your goal physique? Generally someone who is 6'3 and bodybuilding will want to be closer to 200lb to look muscular but it all depends on your goals.
    For me it's about two things. Looking good, and being strong at triathlon. The latter means being on the slimmer side but with a good amount of muscle mass for the swim strength.

I figured 190lbs w/ 170lbm would be about the right balance at 6'4.5

Will that look good from the point of view that if I am walking around with a standard tight t on, will I look strong, or will I still have that DYEL vibe?
    A.L.L. Leukemia 2009-2012
    Brain haemorrhage 2009
    Hip replacements 2010 & 2011
    Eating Disorder 2016-2020

almaCycle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok. Firstly thank you. You've convinced me to keep lifting weights even while cycling to maintain my gains!
    But you left the top question unanswered.
    Has anyone here had experience of dropping from 17%bf wo counting calories on high carb/low fat with lots of cardio?
    I did it when i first started but i was at a much higher body fat %.

Also i got an unrealated question about my injury. I think I've actually strained my right gluteus medius/minimus. The onset was 2 days after i'd trained with weights (4th May), upon getting up from a chair. The first days I could not even walk nor sit, just lay in bed or on the sofa.
    As of today i can still slightly feel it in my right butt. At first i tried to keep my training regime, but i've now realized i have to rest until it's healed. Any thoughts? Has anyone had a similar experience?
    The deadlift form is proper, i've been followed by a trainer for months. Might really just be an overuse injury : this is the first time i've been consistenly doing physical activity in my whole life.
    Last edited by almaCycle; 05-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok. Firstly thank you. You've convinced me to keep lifting weights even while cycling to maintain my gains!
    But you left the top question unanswered.
    Has anyone here had experience of dropping from 17%bf wo counting calories on high carb/low fat with lots of cardio?
    I did it when i first started but i was at a much higher body fat %.
    Some people get lucky, yes.

It’s unlikely to be you, so if you really want to get skinny (which will not look good) count your calories. But seriously, spend a couple years putting on muscle first or you’re just going to spin your wheels. I normally advise the opposite, but based on what I read above, you need to focus on the muscle.
    My Candito Linear log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177212011&p=1581528721#post1581528721

My Fierce 5 Novice log (deprecated): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113