proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Improving my barbell row form

My barbell row movement looks more like picture number 4 rather than 3. My elbows point back rather than remain above the bar. Aside from that though, my form looks decent. I've tried flaring my arms a bit more, but I can't seem to keep my elbows above the bar at all. What do I have to do to make that happen?
    Attached Images

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The important take away from pictures 3 and 4 is the angle of the forearms, not the flare of the elbows.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    The important take away from pictures 3 and 4 is the angle of the forearms, not the flare of the elbows.
    Why is it important to keep the forearms perpendicular to the floor? And how do you go about doing that?

Originally Posted by proxyfunction View Post
    Why is it important to keep the forearms perpendicular to the floor? And how do you go about doing that?
    bump in hopes of getting good advice

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So what area are you trying to target with your BB rows?
    With these arm position and where you pull the bar to will stress certain areas a bit more.
    Arms close to the sides and pull to the stomach hit lower area lats harder,pulling to the chest with elbows at a 45 degree angle or further out hit more upper back area(teres,rhomboids,some rear delts).
    Not that important to keep elbows over the bar but what your feeling when rowing.
    You need to feel the area your trying to make grow and get stronger.
    If you get a good feeling without feeling the arms pulling instead of the back(think upper arms pulling lower arms hands as hooks)then your on the right track.
    Stay hinged with the low back like the pics you posted so weight is on the hips,glutes,hamstrings and less on the low back.
    Dont jerk the weight up,row it with good technique.
    Good luck.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    So what area are you trying to target with your BB rows?
    With these arm position and where you pull the bar to will stress certain areas a bit more.
    Arms close to the sides and pull to the stomach hit lower area lats harder,pulling to the chest with elbows at a 45 degree angle or further out hit more upper back area(teres,rhomboids,some rear delts).
    Not that important to keep elbows over the bar but what your feeling when rowing.
    You need to feel the area your trying to make grow and get stronger.
    If you get a good feeling without feeling the arms pulling instead of the back(think upper arms pulling lower arms hands as hooks)then your on the right track.
    Stay hinged with the low back like the pics you posted so weight is on the hips,glutes,hamstrings and less on the low back.
    Dont jerk the weight up,row it with good technique.
    Good luck.
    Great post! I will upload videos of how I do my main compound movements in order to get my form checked. When I barbell row, it looks similar to picture 4 from the original pic I posted except that my torso is a little more upright and less perpendicular to the floor. My forearms are not over the bar rather angled back just like in the pic. I pull closer to the chest with elbows at a 45 degree angle in hopes of targeting my upper back and I do feel sore in that area the following day which is an indication that I am using my back muscles right? I not only pull while concentrating on lifting my elbows to the ceiling but I also focus on pinching my shoulders together while pushing my chest out as I finish the pull in order to really target the area.

I've seen many videos on people doing barbell rows and most of them have their forearms over the bar and I am wondering how they do that? When I do the pull, my elbows angle back and the only way I can somewhat fix that is to flare my elbows out.