The Bringer of rain thebigzakbowski's Avatar
    thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Mount Saint Helens

On the news here they mentioned that it had been fourty years. I was only a few months old at the time. Anyone remember what it was like (if it even impacted you at all)?
    https://youtu.be/RGHV67vZ0MM 435lb Bench SS 7/8/17
    https://youtu.be/NG0J4SFPjm0 395lb Bench Raw 12/25/17
    my log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174243471&p=1508621311#post1508621311

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wasn't there, but I knew some people in Seattle and he said that after it blew, there was a few inches of ash everywhere - everywhere.

A good friend of mine went in the late 80s, maybe 5 years after it blew and he said it was like ground zero of a hydrogen bomb. Miles of trees laid down, ash that was 4 and 5 feet deep, evidence of the tsunami of mud, whole trees and debris that raced down the mountain, lake full of timber, some yearlings growing. Devastation.

YouTube videos are crazy.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 05-20-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by thebigzakbowski View Post
    On the news here they mentioned that it had been fourty years. I was only a few months old at the time. Anyone remember what it was like (if it even impacted you at all)?
    I was in the Navy at the time, stationed in South Carolina. I'd been interested in it, and following it nearly every day in the newspapers. It seemed like every few days since March of that year there was a headline saying "Mount St. Helens Explodes", which was technically true for every little steam explosion from the summit crater, but always less dramatic than it was being made out to be.

On May 19, the headline was "Mount St. Helens Explodes!" I thought, "Oh yeah, another one, and went on about my day. Only later did I find out the enormity of the event. It was actually a large factor in my decision to go into geology when I got out of the Navy and had the GI bill available to me.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I remember it. I was at my best friend's house and we were playing outside. We noticed that "dirt" kept getting in our eyes, so we ran back in the house to put on some swimming goggles so that we could continue playing. He lived out in the woods so we just thought that an unusual amount of dust was being kicked up from the nearby dirt road. It was only later that we discovered it was volcanic ash.

Ultimately, our town ended up being covered in a few inches of ash. I remember watching a news report in which "experts" were speculating about the long term effects on the lungs. I'd breathed in quite a bit of it, so I remember being pretty freaked out about that.

My dad went outside and scooped some of the ash off of his Ford Pinto and put it in a jar. That jar is still sitting in my mom's house somewhere.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I lived in the Crowsnest Pass Alberta , which was just north of it . It’s a 3 hour drive to Spokane from there .
    Anyways it was horrible , like a nuclear winter would be I suspect. An inch of dust everywhere, and the skies went dark for a few weeks.
    Felt like it would never end at the time , and it seemed very eerie
    Make Misc great again

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I recall it, ash made it all the way to the east coast
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow, this thread is a blast from the past (pun intended) remember it on the news, but although I was thousands of miles away (London) I remember bad weather being blamed on it
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 05-21-2020 at 04:25 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Was painting a house 150 miles to the northwest and watched it from the roof. The weirdest thing was because of the wind direction at the time, we barely saw any ash at all where we were. Like a cigarette was flicked here and there, but no accumulation anywhere. Not complaining even a little, but people in the midwest saw more than we did and we were looking at it happen.
    Last edited by sumolgi; 05-21-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: direction impaired

thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) thebigzakbowski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    thanks all. I'm not near Helens but if rainier blew.....I just was curious since I wasn't old enough to remember and it's been all over the news. I should go check out the crater once this stuff is all over

Thanks again
    my log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174243471&p=1508621311#post1508621311

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    thanks all. I'm not near Helens but if rainier blew.....I just was curious since I wasn't old enough to remember and it's been all over the news. I should go check out the crater once this stuff is all over

Thanks again
    I hope you do. It's ironic that it had such a big effect on my career, and yet I've never gone to see it up close.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by sumolgi View Post
    Was painting a house 150 miles to the northwest and watched it from the roof. The weirdest thing was because of the wind direction at the time, we barely saw any ash at all where we were. Like a cigarette was flicked here and there, but no accumulation anywhere. Not complaining even a little, but people in the midwest saw more than we did and we were looking at it happen.
    That would really have ruined the paintwork...

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    thanks all. I'm not near Helens but if rainier blew.....
    I hear the normal route on Mount Rainer is s particularly good alpine "walk" (albeit very touristy). I expressly forbid Rainer to erupt and ruin a great route!

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    I was in Portland having a cup of coffee at Sambo's on East Burnside. A guy walked in and said, "Mount Saint Helens is blowing up!"

We all laughed.

"No, I'm serious," he said. "Come look!"

We all got up and went out and looked. It was awesome!

I had a '64 Dodge Polara at the time, one of the power windows was broken, but stuck rolled down about two inches. I was never able to get that gritty ash completely out of the interior. It was like a very hard, fine glass crystal powder. Extremely abrasive, like diamond grit.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wasn't old enough to remember
    I am, but oddly enough I don't have any memories of it. For 9/11 and the Space Shuttle disaster I remember those days vividly.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I am, but oddly enough I don't have any memories of it. For 9/11 and the Space Shuttle disaster I remember those days vividly.
    I remember challenger very hazy, just my teacher talking about it but columbia and 9/11 man yeah I could tell you exactly what I was doing