homersheineken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Way to Squat with Low Weight

My knees can't do heavy weight anymore. According to the Dr I can max @ 135lb (140 to be precise).

Since I can't max out squat weights, what would be the best way to approach squatting? Multiple times a week?

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Regardless of what you do (volume, reps, tempo, 1.5 reps, frequency etc) you're going to hit diminishing returns quickly, depending on your current level with that load

jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100) jonnywar is not very well liked. (-100)
    And if you hold the squat for a while? This will increase the load on the legs.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good answer from jk202 above^^^.
    Yes either high rep sets or controlled tempo(slow reps up and down).
    Sets of 10-20 can be an ass kicker and maybe even higher once you get use to them.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by homersheineken View Post
    My knees can't do heavy weight anymore. According to the Dr I can max @ 135lb (140 to be precise).

Since I can't max out squat weights, what would be the best way to approach squatting? Multiple times a week?
    Clean the weight and do front squats with 3-5 second negatives and 3-5 second isometric holds in the stretched (not collasped) position while breathing. Don't forget to breath in the hole.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Clean the weight and do front squats with 3-5 second negatives and 3-5 second isometric holds in the stretched (not collasped) position while breathing. Don't forget to breath in the hole.
    Thanks for the tip. What does "clean the weight" mean?

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by homersheineken View Post
    Thanks for the tip. What does "clean the weight" mean?

I should have said 'power clean', but if you don't know what a clean is, I suspect that 140 lbs might be too heavy, anyways. Basically, it's picking up the barbell and bringing it to the rack position. I won't try to explain the technique, but I think Mark Rippetoes' instruction is probably the simplest and most effective way to do it. Use a power cage, but do eventually try power cleans. It's a phenomenal exercise.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you know how your doc calculated the exact squat max of 140 lbs that your knees can handle? I would think if you start doing high volume/reps and long holds your knees may experience similar issues that they would have at higher weights and low reps.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Do you know how your doc calculated the exact squat max of 140 lbs that your knees can handle? I would think if you start doing high volume/reps and long holds your knees may experience similar issues that they would have at higher weights and low reps.
    There's no such thing as high volume/high reps with slow eccentrics and long isometric holds. Slow eccentrics and long holds virtually eliminate the risk of injury.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's no such thing as high volume/high reps with slow eccentrics and long isometric holds. Slow eccentrics and long holds virtually eliminate the risk of injury.
    Actually wasn't referring to your specific posts, didn't even see them. Need to get my eyes checked.

I should have said 'power clean', but if you don't know what a clean is, I suspect that 140 lbs might be too heavy, anyways. Basically, it's picking up the barbell and bringing it to the rack position. I won't try to explain the technique, but I think Mark Rippetoes' instruction is probably the simplest and most effective way to do it. Use a power cage, but do eventually try power cleans. It's a phenomenal exercise.
    Power clean I know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Based on my height and weight and the condition of my knees.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    "bad knees" might just be down to a muscular imbalance. This can be fixed by the right balance of exercise. No need to go through life with a fixable issue like this.

Or did you have some kind of scan which showed an actual deterioration in the joint surface?

I've had partial removal of cartilage in one knee but can still squat heavy.