alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I put in more ab/core days?

Rn I'm on a basic Push/Pull split (I can't work my legs atm):
    Push
    Pull
    Abs
    Push
    Pull
    Abs
    Rest

I'm treating abs/core like any normal muscle (2x/week), but I've seen a lot of people say you can and should train them more often. Should I replace my rest day with more abs? Should I fit it in on another days too? I'm a bit confused whether they actually recover faster than other muscles or not.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Why would you spend 1/3 of your time on a muscle which is probably about 5% of your total muscle mass?

Just put ab exercises on one of your days (say push) and then do lower back exercises on the pull day.

Then do more push/pull days... Push, pull, rest, repeat

Split is set up the way it is to avoid more than 4 push/pull per week

Abs are really where leg day should be but I have an injury

So you think abs 2x lower back 2x per week?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Still seem like a nothing day. I would aim to spread out the exercises you can do more evenly across the days you want to train. Agonising over what is a "pull" and what is a "push" exercise isn't necessary. I frequently do pullups one day and row the next. Or bench press one day and overhead the press - not problem.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by alec935 View Post
    Split is set up the way it is to avoid more than 4 push/pull per week

Abs are really where leg day should be but I have an injury

So you think abs 2x lower back 2x per week?
    You don't need to change how much abs/core you do and make a whole day for them just because you can't do legs, but up to you. Depends on exactly what you do on pull day and for lower back, but lower back is prob better to do on pull day rather than the day after.

Regarding times/week, a lot of that is just volume allocation so depends on the details. But 2x/week generally is a good amount. You sound like a PPL may not be the most optimal split for yourself, but your choice.

Atm PPL feels the most manageable, and my legs should be good to go soon, but I'll consider changing it.

Pull day is mostly pullups for my upper back because my heaviest dumbells are only enough to rep out with for rows, so that should be hitting my abs somewhat

Idk, I just see some people saying like "train abs everyday for a bulging six pack" and I was wondering if treating them like a normal muscle group was a mistake. Thanks for the advice

There is nothing special about the muscle tissue in the rectus abdominus. Perhaps most ab exercises are low resistance stuff so they need a lot of volume to produce any effect.

Try standing ab wheel rollouts or dragon flags if you want something that's going to work inside a few sets...

Also, ab definition mostly comes from bodyfat % - you see guys with great abs who don't actually do any ab isolations.

Registered User jamesrobert1997's Avatar
    jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000) jamesrobert1997 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    You should increase your abs workout gradually. Replacing rest day with workout is not a good idea, especially for your health, as muscles take time to get healed after workout.