Thread: Need a change!

Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johntheboy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need a change!

Hi all,

So I’m looking to make a change for the long term now. I’m going to be a dad in July so I’m thinking a lot more now about how I want to be around for much longer, not have my family worry about any health issues I could have prevented further down the line and overall just have better fitness and movement.

The reason for me suddenly starting to lose sleep over this is that last week I developed Gout in my big toe overnight... at only 35! My diet’s not very red meat or fish heavy, so I can only put it down to too much beer during lockdown.

As you can imagine, I’ve had a bit of a wake up call. I’m by no means totally out of shape, prior to the pandemic, I was in the gym at 6am going through some HIIT training to try and slim down and tone up which ultimately, would be my main goal.

I’ve done the usual going through ups and down with training, there’s been many times I’ve been so happy with how I look and feel, and then after a good holiday and busy month or two at work that drastically changes.

Diet wise, I know what I need to do, it’s just a case of sticking to it and laying off my two vices.... beer and chocolate. Not a huge takeaway or junk food person. Always prefer to cook from scratch.

My biggest issue always comes from some random injuries that crop up and leave me feeling unable to train.... usually when I’ve just got back to a good level of fitness. This gout is an example, pulled calf muscles are regular and overall I just feel a bit fragile.

I’d really like to hear experiences from people who have had a bit of a wake up call (especially from soon to be dads) on what changes you found worked well for you. Also, any reccomendations for what people have done in the past to make themselves feel a little less fragile/brittle. Was this a totally different way of training, yoga, stretching, more rest?

Sorry for the long post but any insight would be much appreciated!

NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I got gout too - it didn't help that people kept telling me I couldn't have that because it's an old man's illness.
    I was overweight but didn't really drink or eat anything to excess. The Doc was making noises about using meds to control it but I wasn't happy at the prospect of being on anything for the rest of my life... even though a lot of people around me basically said just take the pills and carry on as before.

I spent 18 months carefully working through an exclusion diet figuring out what my trigger foods were - it was very, very boring but has allowed me to control my gout myself for several years now because I understand how my body reacts to various foods. During that time I also ate in a calorie deficit and lost the excessive weight.

One thing you can do right away which will make a difference is DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. I don't mean lots of tea/coffee/soft drinks - I do mean water and lots of it. Other drinks don't help nearly as much. If you're like me, I found that I had been carrying gouty pain for a long time without realising it in my elbows, lower back and knees particularly. Getting my nutrition sorted lifted all that and it was an amazing sensation not to be carrying all that pain the whole time.

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Johntheboy84 View Post
    I’d really like to hear experiences from people who have had a bit of a wake up call (especially from soon to be dads) on what changes you found worked well for you. Also, any reccomendations for what people have done in the past to make themselves feel a little less fragile/brittle. Was this a totally different way of training, yoga, stretching, more rest?
    I had to make a lot of adjustments over time, though I never really had a wake up call. Some humbling-down experiences, yes, those I keep finding plenty. What worked well for me is totally different way of training, yes. This was mostly to get out of vicious cycle of growth-injury-rollback. Higher reps in general seem to work much much better. Mad cow 5x5 and alike, as well as generally accepted idea of lifting heavy to get stronger (I don't know where did it come from), coupled with an idea of "progression" appear to be the chief reason for injuries. Long story.

Yoga - no. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it just something I consider girly and for lazy people who keep saying that they are "different" and can't accept that they are simply weak. I am sure I am wrong about it, but I like poking at yoga folks.

Stretching - yes. I find it harder to re-gain the range of motion after it has been neglected for long. Much easier to stay on top of it.

More rest - no. 8-7 hours, even 6 hours of sleep is enough. Quality rest doesn't mean spending evenings in LAzBoy recliner. I also found that it is better to rotate muscle groups more often, allowing less time to recover. Sounds counter-intuitive, but this is what I discovered through years experimentation.

I also became very sceptical about any kind of wake up calls. I appears that major change of lifestyle, and becoming different in general, are only for exceptional people to begin with (Like I am Lol). Seriously though, I keep seeing weak people who remain weak, fat people continued their fondu chocholate journey. With rare and pathetic attempts at some change. Sorry, sounds not nice, but you need to know this.

Now, about kids. You will see it soon, how your son walks behind you trying to mimic the way you walk. He will talk with your words, good or bad everything you say will be repeated. So. You are not training to become better you at this point. You are also showing your future kid how it is done, your self discipline, hard work, continuous learning etc. Sorry for long post, but yours wasn't a simple question.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Funnily enough I actually gave up working out and going to the gym when I became a dad, because I just didn't have the time or the motivation any longer.

Fast forward 10 years and I was just starting to get the dad bod - a throw back to bulking ten years earlier followed by a 10 year diet of takeaways and chocolate.

Now, after almost 2 years I'm in the best shape of my life at 40 years of age.

I have had lots of niggling injuries which I didn't get when I was younger. Lower back injury, shoulder injury, aching knee and various other things. I've found warming up thoroughly is a must and lots and lots of stretching helps. In fact I think proactive stretching even on days off helps.

When you get an injury and you research it, the advice is often "have 4 weeks off." The problem is if I had 4 weeks off from the gym I wouldn't go back. I've also found some injuries are no different after resting for several weeks. What I think has worked for me is sensibly working around injuries, rather than taking time off. So I'll continue to lift and continue to exercise the affected part, but I won't do anything to aggravate it or make it worse.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My wake up call was a skipping heart beat at 48 years old. Had blood tests and an ekg done and my doctor said it wasn’t a big deal and was fairly common but losing some weight was a good idea.

I had been thinking about losing weight and getting in shape for years before this but it was then that I finally decided to do it. I lost 65 pounds over almost 2 years and now 3 1/2 years later I have gained some weight back on purpose and am in the best shape of my life at 52.

So for me anyone in you situation just has to decide if they REALLY want to make a change and improve their health. Either decide to do it or admit to yourself that you don’t have the willpower to do it and accept the health consequences. Once I made that decision I will say it has been fairly easy because I enjoy exercise and challenging myself. But getting to the point to make that decision was definitely not easy but it’s worth it for those that do.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008