Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Cable rows replace bent over rows. Glute bridges/hip thrust replace deadlifts. You could also do RDLs with dumbbells. RDLs and hip thrust follow the 4x8/9/10 rep scheme, and glute bridges are done for 3x30 second holds where you contract the hell out of your glutes, back and hamstrings.

Experiment with each, learn how to do them properly and pick the one you like the best. Truth is, the deadlift is overrated for muscle building and strength. Hence why deadlift numbers improve consistently without actually deadlifting for 90% of the people out there.

I will say this, the reverse planks is the hardest exercise I’ve ever done for my posterior, this coming from someone who did sets of 10 good mornings with 225 and sets of 3 deadlifts with 405 on the bar. If you can work up to doing reverse planks, you’re good.
    Very cool. Thanks for the excellent guidance.
    I will update you. I don't have much hope from my body, but will see ...

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WillHappen View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for the excellent guidance.
    I will update you. I don't have much hope from my body, but will see ...
    OP, we're all a work in progress and started somewhere. Be consistent, make sure your diet/nutrition is aligned with your goals, and keep improving your lifts over time and you'll see results.

WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    OP, we're all a work in progress and started somewhere. Be consistent, make sure your diet/nutrition is aligned with your goals, and keep improving your lifts over time and you'll see results.
    Thanks for encouraging, I appreciate that

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Alan Thrall and Eric Helms both have good RDL videos.
    Any suggestion for video for regular Deadlift - for correct form and technique.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any suggestion for video for regular Deadlift - for correct form and technique.
    Alan Thrall has a good one for deadlifts as well.

He has a great explanation, very similar to the video by Rippetoe.
    Alan clarified a great confusion for me, I used to wonder about hip height. But according to his explanation that shouldn't be a factor to focus on directly - as it would automatically vary based on anatomy.

I want to clarify something about keeping the lower back straight. In his 5 step method your back is rounded at the end of step 3:

Step 1. Bar over mid-foot
    Step 2. Bend to grip bar (he specifically says not to worry about back yet)
    Step 3. Bend knees so shins touch bar (this will put hips at correct height)
    ... so far the back is rounded in video ...
    Step 4. Lift chest and this will flatten back.

How much do you tighten the lower back in step 4? When I lift my chest in step 4, my back is no longer rounded (it automatically flattens) ... but there is not much tension in my hamstrings.

If I want, I can tighten my hamstring a bit and arch (pivot) my pelvis a bit ... like rotating my hip upward in a small arc. With this I feel tension in my hamstring.
    Is this part of the back setup in deadlift? Or am I over-arching (or over-straightning) my lower back.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He has a great explanation, very similar to the video by Rippetoe.
    Alan clarified a great confusion for me, I used to wonder about hip height. But according to his explanation that shouldn't be a factor to focus on directly - as it would automatically vary based on anatomy.

I want to clarify something about keeping the lower back straight. In his 5 step method your back is rounded at the end of step 3:

Step 1. Bar over mid-foot
    Step 2. Bend to grip bar (he specifically says not to worry about back yet)
    Step 3. Bend knees so shins touch bar (this will put hips at correct height)
    ... so far the back is rounded in video ...
    Step 4. Lift chest and this will flatten back.

How much do you tighten the lower back in step 4? When I lift my chest in step 4, my back is no longer rounded (it automatically flattens) ... but there is not much tension in my hamstrings.

If I want, I can tighten my hamstring a bit and arch (pivot) my pelvis a bit ... like rotating my hip upward in a small arc. With this I feel tension in my hamstring.
    Is this part of the back setup in deadlift? Or am I over-arching (or over-straightning) my lower back.
    When you pull your chest up, you’re pulling your scapula back together and down. At that point, your back should be set. Then take your breath, and hold it to brace. Remember, the purpose of the core is stability. Don’t think of the deadlift as a push or pull, but what it is: a hip extension.

When you pull your chest up, you’re pulling your scapula back together and down. At that point, your back should be set. Then take your breath, and hold it to brace. Remember, the purpose of the core is stability. Don’t think of the deadlift as a push or pull, but what it is: a hip extension.
    Here's a video related to what I was describing. It's from SS:
    www .youtube.com/watch?v=CTBiC_tnjOc

At 1:33 he lifts chest (step 4 of Alan). But at 1:42 he's instructed to do an additional step that is not covered by Alan.
    I'm not clear what he is doing at 1:42.

At 2:44 the instructor talks about the pelvic tilt ... it sounds similar to what I described in post #36
    Last edited by WillHappen; 06-02-2020 at 05:02 PM.

At 1:33 he lifts chest (step 4 of Alan). But at 1:42 he's instructed to do an additional step that is not covered by Alan.

At 2:44 the instructor talks about the pelvic tilt ... it sounds similar to what I described in post #36
    I still say you’re over thinking it. If you have access to a barbell, why not take a side video and post it here so we can look at it?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I wouldn't worry about anything after 2:44, it's just going to confuse you. If you understand the high level points, a lot of it will come naturally from the simple act of lifting a dead weight off the floor.

It's easier to have someone take a look at your form and tell you the (hopefully) few things you need to improve rather than to try to proactively think of every little nuance you need to do in each section of the movement.

More importantly, I thought you said at PF you can't do DLs anyway.

I still say you’re over thinking it. If you have access to a barbell, why not take a side video and post it here so we can look at it?
    I wouldn't worry about anything after 2:44, it's just going to confuse you. If you understand the high level points, a lot of it will come naturally from the simple act of lifting a dead weight off the floor.

It's easier to have someone take a look at your form and tell you the (hopefully) few things you need to improve rather than to try to proactively think of every little nuance you need to do in each section of the movement.

More importantly, I thought you said at PF you can't do DLs anyway.
    I actually joined another gym that was closer to me and similar looking to Planet Fitness. When I went for my first workout, I saw that they had squat racks and power racks, and people were doing those exercises. I was pleasantly surprised. So now I want to attempt those lifts again.

I agree, video might be best. I was already thinking of making a video of some of the movements and posting here. I've also reached out to a SS trainer to see if they'll work with me on correcting Deadlift, Squat and OHP form. So let's see ...

You are right I might be overthinking it but honestly Deadlift appears most confusing (at least to me).
    Alan Thrall uses the cue "chest up", while this channel says chest down
    www .youtube.com/watch?v=8ReeYSLgZT8

I just shared this as an interesting item.

You are right I might be overthinking it but honestly Deadlift appears most confusing (at least to me).
    Alan Thrall uses the cue "chest up", while this channel says chest down
    www .youtube.com/watch?v=8ReeYSLgZT8

I just shared this as an interesting item.
    Think you watched that wrong, it says to puff your chest up. It does say to keep your ribcage down, which I don't find that useful. If you have a couple of videos that you like and are recommended, use those for instruction. Don't watch every single one on YT since each one will teach it slightly differently.

LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LtGoose has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you download the planet fitness app they have tons of videos and articles of different work outs you can watch.
    Disclaimer: All posts made by [LtGoose] are works of satire. By reading this you agree to absolve the author of any and all liability.

Think you watched that wrong, it says to puff your chest up. It does say to keep your ribcage down, which I don't find that useful. If you have a couple of videos that you like and are recommended, use those for instruction. Don't watch every single one on YT since each one will teach it slightly differently.
    Cool. I just have the old Mark Rippetoe SS videos as a reference, will go back to those now that I'm starting again.
    These are the long videos, about 30 min for each lift. Interestingly I no longer see them online anywhere, and can't seem to remember where I got them from.

Cool. I just have the old Mark Rippetoe SS videos as a reference, will go back to those now that I'm starting again.
    These are the long videos, about 30 min for each lift. Interestingly I no longer see them online anywhere, and can't seem to remember where I got them from.
    I'd guess the Alan Thrall one recommended above would be sufficient, and can't imagine it's 30 minutes long. That's like an hour long drama without the commercials.

I'd guess the Alan Thrall one recommended above would be sufficient, and can't imagine it's 30 minutes long. That's like an hour long drama without the commercials.
    Watching more of Alan Thrall videos, really liking his teaching tips - respect to this guy!

Is Brian Alsruhe form/technique video also recommended?

Overall, what are a few Youtube channels besides Alan that I can rely as a reference on correct movements?