Athens2302 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Not Having Good Ab Workouts :(

Usually, when I do ab exercises, I don't have a set amount of reps per set, I just keep going until I can't anymore. However, I've been having this problem where my other muscle groups wear out before my abs do, mostly my legs, back, and neck, meaning that I don't ever feel a good ab burn. There are a few exercises I can do where I don't have this problem, but that range of exercises is very limited, and I feel trapped.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it common? How can I fix it?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Probably the issue is that the exercises you use hit the hip flexors and other adjacent muscles too much. Try ab wheel rollouts and dragon flags.

The wider issue is that (like many people) you probably focus too much on ab exercises. They are a relatively small muscle group - and if you are after ab definition, you should focus more on lower bodyfat than anything else. Plenty of people with sixpacks never even do ab isolations. Instead focus on your whole body including the major muscle groups like the legs, glutes, hamstrings etc.

Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Athens2302 View Post
    Usually, when I do ab exercises, I don't have a set amount of reps per set, I just keep going until I can't anymore. However, I've been having this problem where my other muscle groups wear out before my abs do, mostly my legs, back, and neck, meaning that I don't ever feel a good ab burn. There are a few exercises I can do where I don't have this problem, but that range of exercises is very limited, and I feel trapped.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it common? How can I fix it?
    I've never isolated abs, I just do lots of compounds and it worked them really well. Each to their own but for me, bench/squat/deadlift worked a treat for abs
    5'9 180lbs/82k

Bench - 70kg/154lb

Squat - 105kg/231lb

Deadlift - 145kg/320lb

Athens2302 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Probably the issue is that the exercises you use hit the hip flexors and other adjacent muscles too much. Try ab wheel rollouts and dragon flags.

The wider issue is that (like many people) you probably focus too much on ab exercises. They are a relatively small muscle group - and if you are after ab definition, you should focus more on lower bodyfat than anything else. Plenty of people with sixpacks never even do ab isolations. Instead focus on your whole body including the major muscle groups like the legs, glutes, hamstrings etc.
    Will do. Thanks.