proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help improve my weekly routine

I just started lifting weights again 3 months ago and I am looking to improve my routine. Workouts are at home and due to financial constraints, I only have a rack, a barbell, ~250lbs. of weight plates, and an adjustable bench. I'm hoping to purchase adjustable dumbbells in the near future.

3 day split
    ----------------------

Mon (Push)

Overhead Press x 7 sets
    Incline Bench Press 5 sets
    [Pull-Ups x 3 sets
    One arm lateral raises x 3 sets (only on the left arm)]

Wed (Pull)

Barbell Row x 8 sets
    [Pull Ups x 4 sets
    One arm lateral raises x 3 sets (only on the left arm)]

Fri (Legs)

Deadlifts x 7 sets
    Squats x 5 sets

----------------------

I do light ab work for about 5-10min before every session.

Averaging around 2.5 minutes of rest per set although I am reducing that rest period to increase intensity.

I am mainly focusing on perfecting my form and increasing intensity and not so much on lifting heavy. Later when I get adjustable dumbbells, I will incorporate more variety into my sessions. Not including the one arm lateral raises, of which I am doing only on my left arm in order to improve symmetry and correct a strength deficiency, I am averaging around 13 sets per session. Are these enough sets or should I increase volume of my workouts as well?

I'm 5'10.75 and weigh around 170lbs with about 15-17% bodyfat. I am hoping to increase muscle mass and decrease bodyfat to around 10%. I would like to weight around 180lbs with that bodyfat percentage which means I need to build more muscle.
    Last edited by proxyfunction; 05-18-2020 at 03:15 PM.

TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can switch to Fierce 5 or AllPro or any other proven routine...

No need to reinvent the wheel bro - Should work for you cuz it seems to have worked for thousands others

Edit: do not reduce rest period between your heavy compounds. I made that mistake and had issues with CNS recovery.

That extra 7-10 minutes rest is so worth it. I found out the hard way by loosing at least a few months of progress

Edit: I edited my post cuz initial post sounded rude and retarded. lol
    Last edited by TryingBB; 05-18-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    **^^ Work hard AND more importantly, work smart ^^**

proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TryingBB View Post

No need to reinvent the wheel bro - Should work for you cuz it seems to have worked for thousands others

Edit: do not reduce rest period between your heavy compounds. I made that mistake and had issues with CNS recovery.

That extra 7-10 minutes rest is so worth it. I found out the hard way by loosing at least a few months of progress

Reps. I am sticking to the 4 conventional compound exercises with a set range that is fairly normal. I would try out those other workout programs but they require exercises that I can't do due to equipment limitations. What could I do to better my program? And what would be a good lower range of rest in between compound exercises? Is 1.5 minutes enough?

TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by proxyfunction View Post
    Reps. I am sticking to the 4 conventional compound exercises with a set range that is fairly normal. I would try out those other workout programs but they require exercises that I can't do due to equipment limitations. What could I do to better my program? And what would be a good lower range of rest in between compound exercises? Is 1.5 minutes enough?
    I workout in my garage gym with a rack and barbell/weights. No dumbbells even.

I follow fierce 5. Will switch to AllPro next time I stall on Fierce 5

You can do it. Don’t need anything else. Maybe you need a pulley but you can make your own for under $20 (youtube it) Or order online for $35 I think.

Rest 150 to 180 seconds between deadlift, squat, OHP, bench press. I used to rest 90 seconds and shot my CNS into the ground even though it didn’t feel too hard during the workouts. Rest that extra 1 minute. It’s worth it.

I don’t know enough about programming to make suggestions. I think you can look for beginner programs and choose one that you can do all exercises with what you got. All programs work as long as you stick with it

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    6 days or 3? i think push pull legs splits are ridiculous unless you train 6 days a week
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    6 days or 3? i think push pull legs splits are ridiculous unless you train 6 days a week
    Only 3. Why is it ridiculous?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Insufficient frequency. You seem to tacitly understand this by doing laterals and pull-ups twice a week.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lacks volume on everything, and very little variation, especially lower body

What you posted is barely maintenance work for quads hams glutes
    2018 Log

Can you recommend some more exercises that would help with my goals while considering the equipment I have? Do you recommend I gradually increase intensity so that with time, I can do the main compound lifts with only 1.5 min of rest in between sets?

TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do you recommend I gradually increase intensity so that with time, I can do the main compound lifts with only 1.5 min of rest in between sets?
    Certainly not.

Can you recommend some more exercises that would help with my goals while considering the equipment I have? Do you recommend I gradually increase intensity so that with time, I can do the main compound lifts with only 1.5 min of rest in between sets?
    Ermm no I wouldn't limit load by reducing rest unless you were extremely time limited.

You can Romanian deadlift, you can pause squat, bench, deadlift, you can pin squat, bench, deadlift.
    You can low bar squat if you usually high bar and vice versa, you can front squat.
    You can stiff leg deadlift, you can sumo deadlift.
    Bench variations gone on forever.

I would suggest at least 2 variations of each main lift a week, for 3 to 4 weeks, then subbing at least 1 of them.
    2018 Log

Considering that I am a beginner weight lifter, wouldn't it be wise to focus on the 5 standard compound movements in order to improve form before tackling new variations? Also, I agree with you that for a veteran weight lifter, my routine would be insufficient due to lack of variation and volume but since I am new, I think 45 sets per week is alright?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes, you can stick with a handful of basic lifts - obviously you can make things too simple. But the are several other issues with your routine that would all be solved simply by using one of the expert designed routines in the sticky threads. Why do you want to do what you have above rather than something like Fierce 5?

Realistically, you aren't going to do 7 sets of deadlifts - unless they are way lighter than they should be for effective training.

Considering that I am a beginner weight lifter, wouldn't it be wise to focus on the 5 standard compound movements in order to improve form before tackling new variations? Also, I agree with you that for a veteran weight lifter, my routine would be insufficient due to lack of variation and volume but since I am new, I think 45 sets per week is alright?
    it's lacking in variation and volume for anyone.

It doesn't focus on the compounds, you are doing them once a week, that is terrible frequency for skill acquisition
    2018 Log

it's lacking in variation and volume for anyone.

It doesn't focus on the compounds, you are doing them once a week, that is terrible frequency for skill acquisition
    I should have been more forthcoming. The constraints I currently have are plentiful. I have limited equipment and I am only able to lift 3 times a week for a maximum of an hour and a half per session. All the prepackaged routines I've seen so far require more exercises than what I can currently do or they demand more than just 3 times per week of work. I am adamant on learning the basic compound movements before diving into new variations. And if you've seen before and after pics of my progress when comparing my body now to how it was 3 months ago, you would also be tentative on making any drastic changes.

Plus, if I compare my routine to fierce 5, in terms of doing more reps when it comes to the main conventional lifts, I am doing significantly more with my routine then with that one. Again, one of my main focuses is to perfect (or get near to it as possible) my form when it comes to the main conventional lifts.

To sum it up, given the fact that I want to excel in the main conventional lifts (regular deadlift, back squat, overhead press, barbell row, incline bench press) before moving forward, how should I modify my routine to do just that? Simplicity is also a huge consideration in my book.

I appreciate all the feedback and I am using it to adjust my workout routine. Given a good enough reason, I am willing to change into a more effective, simple routine possible if the reason is good enough.
    Last edited by proxyfunction; 05-19-2020 at 07:01 AM.

To sum it up, given the fact that I want to excel in the main conventional lifts (regular deadlift, back squat, overhead press, barbell row, incline bench press) before moving forward, how should I modify my routine to do just that? Simplicity is also a huge consideration in my book.
    Subbing in flat bench for incline, I did all that in a workout 3x a week as a beginner.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Subbing in flat bench for incline, I did all that in a workout 3x a week as a beginner.
    Reps once again. I've considered regular bench press but since my chest is already overly developed from previous weight lifting ventures, I am trying to do more for shoulders and back than any other muscle group. Oh the constraints, I know! The reason I love the incline bench press is that it targets the upper chest but more importantly, if the incline is good enough, it targets the shoulders even more.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I assume you have a barbell? Why not just do All Pros or Stronglifts 5x5, both of those can be done with just a bar, bench and somewhere to rack the bar for squats.

I should have been more forthcoming. The constraints I currently have are plentiful. I have limited equipment and I am only able to lift 3 times a week for a maximum of an hour and a half per session. All the prepackaged routines I've seen so far require more exercises than what I can currently do or they demand more than just 3 times per week of work. I am adamant on learning the basic compound movements before diving into new variations. And if you've seen before and after pics of my progress when comparing my body now to how it was 3 months ago, you would also be tentative on making any drastic changes.

Plus, if I compare my routine to fierce 5, in terms of doing more reps when it comes to the main conventional lifts, I am doing significantly more with my routine then with that one. Again, one of my main focuses is to perfect (or get near to it as possible) my form when it comes to the main conventional lifts.

I appreciate all the feedback and I am using it to adjust my workout routine. Given a good enough reason, I am willing to change into a more effective, simple routine possible if the reason is good enough.

Squat
    Bench
    Row
    Incline bench

Front squat or paused squat
    Romanian deadlift
    Overhead press
    Chin ups if suitable, or an Australian pull up type movement.

Conv deadlift
    Paused bench
    Row different variation/angle from day 1
    Would Db press here if available, otherwise just press again in a different rep range.

Rep ranges.

I prefer top single for main lifts, however you could just work up to 4 to 6 reps on deadlift squats bench press, 3 work up sets then 2 to 3 back offs fatigue dependant.

For the Paused assistance I would work up to a moderately challenging (rpe 8, 2 to4 reps from failure) set of 6, then repeat this weight twice more or until you only have 1 rep in the tank.

For incline, chins, rows, Romanian deadlifts, and second Press I would use sets of 8 in a similar fashion as above

The 3rd and 4th movements of every session would be supersetted if time was a constraint
    2018 Log

NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000) NearlyBigAngus is a name known to all. (+5000)

To be honest this sounds like a lot of excuses - AllPro for example uses these lifts

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raise

All of which can be done with the equipment you have, are mostly compound exercises and 3 times a week for 1.5 hours per session is perfect. It may not be the case but you come over like you want to avoid changing what you are doing when it would in fact be incredibly easy to change to something better and proven.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You already have your own firm notions of what works best for you, and seem to be saying you've had great results the past 3 months, so it prob makes sense to do your routine as-is and adjust it later based on your results. I doubt anyone is going to try any harder than those above to convince you certain things may not be optimal (3-day PPL, progressively overloading only by reducing rest time, what works for beginners v. veterans, lateral raises for only 1 side, etc.).

my chest is already overly developed from previous weight lifting ventures
    I suggest taking the concepts you used in previous ventures to overdevelop your chest and applying them to exercises for other areas of your body.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Given a good enough reason, I am willing to change into a more effective, simple routine possible if the reason is good enough.
    If

- A more effective routine

is not enough reason to change your routine, you are just looking for people to tell you your way is 'great' and not really looking for good feedback.

Edit: here is the response you’re looking for but is not atall correct advice.

Wow man that’s an amazing routine you’ve got there. Only one suggestion, do this 7 days a week, one after waking up, once after lunch and once before dinner. You’ll have solid muscles on day 3!!!

I am also going to suggest this routine to all my friends and everyone on the internet. Oh yeah, who needs rest? Start the next exercise as soon as you hit rep 3 of the last set of the exercise. That way you will be doing two exercises at once and save precious time saving the world!! Profit!!

I wish Arnold and Dwayne knew about this routine

LMAO

Op, I am a newbie and I have made every mistake in the book as a newbie.

Go back to the first response (quoted here) you got on this post from me.

And well I’m a newbie what do I know...right? All these people who are responding to you have years of lifting experience and great knowledge.

Don’t listen to me - listen to them. They are the ones who hang out here and give serious solid advice. You are choosing to ignore all of them.

You do as you please but I have never seen a routine with 7 sets of deadlift. Lol

Listen to these people man. Good luck
    Last edited by TryingBB; 05-19-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Edit: here is the response you’re looking for but is not atall correct advice.

Wow man that’s an amazing routine you’ve got there. Only one suggestion, do this 7 days a week, one after waking up, once after lunch and once before dinner. You’ll have solid muscles on day 3!!!

I am also going to suggest this routine to all my friends and everyone on the internet. Oh yeah, who needs rest? Start the next exercise as soon as you hit rep 3 of the last set of the exercise. That way you will be doing two exercises at once and save precious time saving the world!! Profit!!

I wish Arnold and Dwayne knew about this routine

LMAO

Op, I am a newbie and I have made every mistake in the book as a newbie.

Go back to the first response (quoted here) you got on this post from me.

And well I’m a newbie what do I know...right? All these people who are responding to you have years of lifting experience and great knowledge.

Don’t listen to me - listen to them. They are the ones who hang out here and give serious solid advice. You are choosing to ignore all of them.

You do as you please but I have never seen a routine with 7 sets of deadlift. Lol

Listen to these people man. Good luck
    Mine has 6 to 8 sets of deads twice a week. One sumo one conv.
    Obviously intensity is not particularly high
    2018 Log

What would be a good lower range of rest between sets involving compound exercises? Ever since going from 3 to 2 minutes of rest in between sets, my pump has improved and I have gotten more sore.

What would be a good lower range of rest between sets involving compound exercises? Ever since going from 3 to 2 minutes of rest in between sets, my pump has improved and I have gotten more sore.
    well more soreness is bad and the pump doesnt mean much at all...

I wouldnt go below anything that would limit load or reps on the next set
    2018 Log

Pardon my newbieness but why is soreness bad and isn't the pump an indication on how much one has activated the muscles in question?

Pardon my newbieness but why is soreness bad and isn't the pump an indication on how much one has activated the muscles in question?
    Soreness is not necessarily bad - unless it prevents you being able to train properly. Nor is it an indication of muscle growth.

Same with pump - you can gain muscle without getting a pump - and you can get pumped without gaining muscle. It's a side effect not a cause.

Soreness can contribute to poorer sessions in future and in some individuals cases they even skip or delay sessions simply because of soreness.

The pump is simply irrelevant, if you train at high enough intensity or/and close enough to failure that has already "activated" the muscles as much as they are going to be.
    2018 Log

I am no expert - below is my experience (and i just added 30 to 60 seconds of rest to all my sets just three weeks ago)

Unless you have certain training related target or training needs and you know what you’re doing, reducing rest time between sets unnecessarily is a recipe for CNS overload. Extra 10 minutes of rest during your workout is definitely worth it. You won’t need to deload as often. Saving you weeks over your lifting career (if you may call it that)

Recovery between workouts will be also improved

But you do what you like

I am tempted to jump to my next set once 2 minutes are up cuz I feel ready but now I know better. I still wait those 30 more seconds before attempting the next set...I can feel it has positively affected me even during my day to day