waynelucky4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

back press and front press. Full biomechanics

Hi all,

Please if your not sure, or just thing, please no.

I am interested in the muscles used in the back press and front press. Full biomechanics of when heads of the shoulder, upper back, and triceps come into play of the concentric and eccentric of these two lift. As in which muscles play the major parts in these two lifts.

Which is best for the shoulders and triceps ???

Thank you in advance.

Wayne

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is cute.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Hi all,

Well, I thought there would be several answers, but not one ???

Originally Posted by waynelucky4 View Post
    Hi all,

Please if your not sure, or just think you know, please no.

I am interested in the muscles used in the back press and front press. Full biomechanics of when heads of the shoulder, upper back, and triceps come into play of the concentric and eccentric of these two lift. As in which muscles play the major parts in these two lifts.

Thank you in advance.

Wayne

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi all,

Well, I thought there would be several answers, but not one ???
    I didn't think I could live up to the self-entitled tone of the original post, nor this one.

Hi there,

Odd thing to say ??? I just asked a civil, polite question. Or are you talking about something else ???

Wayne

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I didn't think I could live up to the self-entitled tone of the original post, nor this one.

Hi there,

I dont get you, I just asked a civil polite question ??? Or are you talking about something else, and posted in the wrong thread ???

Wayne

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi all,

Please if your not sure, or just thing, please no.

Thank you in advance.

Wayne
    You could post a video of the exact exercises you mean, but I think you mean overhead press, so I'll have a go at answering.

Triceps work to extend the elbow (straighten the arm), so triceps will be most active during the second half of the movement, and especially near the end of the movement when you're locking out the rep.

The lateral head of the deltoid (side shoulder) works when you press overhead. The anterior delt (front shoulder) works a bit less, and the posterior delt (rear shoulder) is the least active but it does contribute some. The deltoid is one muscle that covers the whole shoulder, don't think of it as front, side, and back.

The rotator cuff is also involved, especially in the lower part of the movement when the elbow is below the shoulder. There are 4 rotator cuff muscles: supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis, and teres minor. All connect the scapula (shoulder blade) to the humerus (upper arm bone).

The traps are also active for moving and stabilizing the scapula. The erector spinae (muscle up and down the spine and neck) stabilize the spine. The abs stabilize the torso.

People debate over which overhead press is better, behind the neck or in front. Years ago, behind the neck was the go-to movement, but it's gone out of fashion now.

I hope I didn't just waste my time, Wayne.
    Currently running Calgary Barbell 8 Week:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1603141691&viewfull=1#post1603141691

Hi there,

No you did not waste your time, "but", what I wanted was the difference between the front and back shoulder press, the way each muscle comes into play and how much involved thought each movment. As we all know the quads are more involved the the front squat.

BB.com, I thought this was the biggest forum on Earth, and there would have been more answers.

Wayne

TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As we all know the quads are more involved the the front squat.
    Please explain how and what you know about this. Why are the quads more involved.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Please explain how and what you know about this. Why are the quads more involved.
    I believe OP would like you to prepare a biomechanical comparison of the effects of shifting the center of mass from in front-of-the-head to behind-the-neck when overhead pressing, specifically the effects on muscle activation in terms of percentages, and possibly the stresses on the shoulder joint and spine as well. If you would be so kind, please.

Hi there,

Yes that would be nice if someone could o that.

Wayne

I believe OP would like you to prepare a biomechanical comparison of the effects of shifting the center of mass from in front-of-the-head to behind-the-neck when overhead pressing, specifically the effects on muscle activation in terms of percentages, and possibly the stresses on the shoulder joint and spine as well. If you would be so kind, please.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi there,

Wayne
    Press emphasises front delts, moderate side, some upper chest and some trap usage.
    Behind the neck press will emphasize side delts more, front a little less, take out upper chest and possibly use a bit more trap and upper back
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Hi there,

Wayne
    As you move from an open-pack position to a more close-pack position, the emphasis of the thoracohumeral muscles decrease with a corresponding increase in emphasis to the scapulohumeral. The percentages will vary based on which type acromiom process you have.