CKenny1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power vs Hypertrophy for Home Gym (Freeweights Only) / Am I squatting too often?

Hi guys.

Been following stronglifts for 2 months at home, except 4 days per week rather than the recommended 3 and am wondering if 4 days per week of heavy squats is going to be bad for my joints. Should I consider reducing my squat to 3 days per week?

Secondly, I'm eating like a horse and quite enjoying the weight gain as this is something I've previously struggled with (9kg in the past 2 months). I was considering making a different program based on Stronglifts following a 1 day on - 1 day off pattern, lifting 4 times per week in this order: Strength Workout 1: Rest: Hypertrophy Workout 2: Rest: Strength Workout 2: Rest: Hypertrophy Workout 1: Rest. On strength days I would follow only the recommended Stronglifts routines (Routine 1: Squat, Bench, BB Row; Routine 2: Squat, OHP, DL). For hypertrophy days I would lift 4 sets of 8-12 at 75/80% of my 5 rep maxes on each of those lifts + additional lifts such as Bicep Curl, Lateral Raise, Front Raise, Chest Flys, Dips (not really settled on which to include for each respective routine). Does this sound like a good program?

I know I'm asking two questions here but they are interconnected as I like lifting 4 times a week, I like gaining muscle mass and I like gaining strength but would not consider it the end of the world to go light on 2 days for the sake of longevity & perhaps a bit more hypertrophy for growth, although I am admittedly growing faster than I ever have before on stronglifts as it is.

Note: I have been lifting on and off since 2012 and have followed different programs, bro-splits / full-body, the only reason I settled on stronglifts this time round is that it was very good for the equipment I have available (Barbell, Squat Rack, Adjustable Dumbells (5-35kg))

Thank you for any, even if it's just a recommendation of a program which you think might be best suited to a home gym where freeweights are the only option.

All the best, Cal

--------
    My details:
    Sex: Male
    Weight: 60kg

Current lifts: Squat 73.5, DL 86, OHP 36, Bench 46, BB Row 49.5. (I know none of these are particularly heavy yet but I definitely feel it on the Bench & OHP at these weights).

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't see the need to break things down into strength and hypertrophy workouts.

A general program targeting both goals would be fine
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I don't see the need to break things down into strength and hypertrophy workouts.

A general program targeting both goals would be fine
    Thanks. Yeah I'm not absolutely destroyed at the end of the workout and I'd probably manage to do 3 or 4 more exercises at the end of each of these but I do worry that if I stuck with SL and just added stuff onto it that maybe I'd get too tired when the weight is significant. I'll have a look into some general programs like you've said though.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CKenny1993 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I'm not absolutely destroyed at the end of the workout and I'd probably manage to do 3 or 4 more exercises at the end of each of these but I do worry that if I stuck with SL and just added stuff onto it that maybe I'd get too tired when the weight is significant. I'll have a look into some general programs like you've said though.
    I'd suggest barbell medicine beginner template or the bridge, the latter is free.

Or Greyskull lp
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I'd suggest barbell medicine beginner template or the bridge, the latter is free.

Or Greyskull lp
    Thank you, I'll have a look at that. Really appreciate it!

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I clicked on this thread expecting to read something on the subject of power. Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but strength isn't power.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    I clicked on this thread expecting to read something on the subject of power. Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but strength isn't power.
    I'd put it down as short for "Powerlifting". I don't think it matters too much for the question I asked anyway.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CKenny1993 View Post
    I'd put it down as short for "Powerlifting". I don't think it matters too much for the question I asked anyway.
    I wouldn't have clicked on the thread if I'd known it was going to be just another 'strength versus hypertrophy' topic.

You could always investigate daily undulating periodization, too. Power is differentiated from strength and strength from hypertrophy in the programming.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000) Magomed1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are wanting a little extra "hypertrophy" work just do 1 back off set after the 5x5 sets.

For example

Squats 5x5, 1x10
    Bench/press 5x5, 1x10
    Deadlift/row 5x5, 1x10

So you'll be doing
    Squats 105 total weekly reps
    Bench/press 35/70 total weekly reps
    Deadlift/row 35/70 total weekly reps

But really its not needed at all in the beginner stages.
    Training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178299511

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you do Stronglifts, then do Stronglifts which is a 3 day a week program.

This gives you more rest than 4 days a week. The rest requirement will become painfully relevant when you get close to stalling, for most people the squats start taking ages and become a heart-sinking activity rather than something enjoyable you look forward to.

The only change or addition I suggest is to do some chin ups (elbows out in front, palms towards you) at the end of each session.

A lot of people here will grumble about Stronglifts, but IMHO when taken in its place as a novice initial introduction *not a medium or long term program choice* (with chinups added and some cardio conditioning) it's a very useful initial introduction program partly because it's so simple and well packaged

Again... IMHO when you start needing lots of assistance lifts, or any back off sets, then already you shouldn't be doing Stronglifts any more. Same with strength versus hypertrophy versus physique, when those distinctions become relevant you shouldn't still be doing Stronglifts
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    ... the squats start taking ages and become a heart-sinking activity rather than something enjoyable you look forward to...
    Therein lies the beauty of daily undulating periodization; each workout is a series of different poundages and reps (and sets, if you like). It's almost like a vacation.