kltzyxM is on a distinguished road. (+10)

working out at 16, a recipe for disaster?

hi everybody,

first of all, quick disclaimer: I'm new to this site so if this is out of place or if it's complete nonsence, don't shoot me (and please tell me what I did wrong).
    also sorry for bad grammar or typos, english is not my first language.

so, since I turned 15 I've been working out almost daily, and as stated in the title I am 16 now. and I'm happy with the improvement . however I've stopped seeing improvement, so I want to progress further. I am hesitant to start heavier/more advanced workouts because I fear that it may cause injury in the long run.

some info that might be helpful:
    my height is 1.90m or 6,4' and I weigh is 85 kg or 187 lbs(I believe, don't know exactly how much lbs go in a kilogram)
    I workout daily, although I split between different muscle groups so every muscle has a week to recover, except for my legs, because I go for a run three times a week.

is it a good Idea to start doing heavier workouts at my age? should I get someone to help to prevent injury? And if it is possible to start a new routine, should I look out for specific signs?
    if you have advice, please tell me
    Last edited by kltzyxM; 05-17-2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: mistake with kg to lbs

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's fine to be working out hard at your age.

Better not to try making your own routine though. Head over to Workout Programs and look at the routines which we recommend in the sticky threads at the top of the page.

BTW: You should train your legs with weights, people won't take you seriously otherwise. Everyone who has good results realised this is essential sooner or later. Running is NOT a substitute.

Originally Posted by kltzyxM View Post
    hi everybody,

first of all, quick disclaimer: I'm new to this site so if this is out of place or if it's complete nonsence, don't shoot me (and please tell me what I did wrong).
    also sorry for bad grammar or typos, english is not my first language.

so, since I turned 15 I've been working out almost daily, and as stated in the title I am 16 now. and I'm happy with the improvement . however I've stopped seeing improvement, so I want to progress further. I am hesitant to start heavier/more advanced workouts because I fear that it may cause injury in the long run.

some info that might be helpful:
    my height is 1.90m or 6,4' and I weigh is 85 kg or 170 lbs(I believe, don't know exactly how much lbs go in a kilogram)
    EDIT: I see I messed up with converting kilograms to pounds it's not 170, it's 187
    I workout daily, although I split between different muscle groups so every muscle has a week to recover, except for my legs, because I go for a run three times a week.

is it a good Idea to start doing heavier workouts at my age? should I get someone to help to prevent injury? And if it is possible to start a new routine, should I look out for specific signs?
    if you have advice, please tell me
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's fine to be working out hard at your age.

Better not to try making your own routine though. Head over to Workout Programs and look at the routines which we recommend in the sticky threads at the top of the page.

BTW: You should train your legs with weights, people won't take you seriously otherwise. Everyone who has good results realised this is essential sooner or later. Running is NOT a substitute.
    thanks for the advice!

I know it's not I do pistol squats calve raises and jump exercises, but running weekly does affect the rest time for my legs.
    Last edited by kltzyxM; 05-16-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: i made a mistake with my weight

vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are just fine lifting at your age... in fact 6'4" and 170lbs... I would suggest some 'bulking', lol.

What is it you are training for? sports, general fitness, ???
    Let that guide what kind of training program you use.

Do you have a trainer, to help with form and program development?
    Jason
    First USAPL meet Feb 17th, 2017. Results S/B/D - 350/303/419
    Building a garage gym...

My advice is from personal experience only, use at your own risk, lol

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    train like an athlete, check out Joe Defranco's Westside For Skinny Bastards program (WS4SB) version 3. It's well balanced and is geared towards developing American Football and Track Athletes. Following a decent program will keep you from making silly statements like "but running weekly does affect the rest time for my legs"

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Read some of the programs in the stickies in the workout forum. Pick one YOU like and follow it. Fierce 5, All Pro, there is also Coolcicada PPL but you have to google it. Carry on.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kltzyxM View Post
    thanks for the advice!

I know it's not I do pistol squats calve raises and jump exercises, but running weekly does affect the rest time for my legs.
    It might feel hard at first but you will adapt to training lower body regularly with weights. I'm pushing 50 and do some kind of lower body training almost every day.

Originally Posted by vristang View Post
    You are just fine lifting at your age... in fact 6'4" and 170lbs... I would suggest some 'bulking', lol.

What is it you are training for? sports, general fitness, ???
    Let that guide what kind of training program you use.

Do you have a trainer, to help with form and program development?
    oops... I made a mistake in converting kilograms to pounds. I changed it in the post.
    I am training for general fitness and for basketball, I want to dunk sometime soon but I have no idea how to achieve it. I don't have a trainer, so that's why I've been avoiding very weight focused workouts. I did apply for the local gym in my town but covid happened so that's going to take some time :/

I suggest you post a thread in the workout programs forum asking for a program for basketball - of course it will also help improve the look of your body - but you have to focus on something. You'll get a better answer if you are particular about what you ask for.