gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Back Pain Every Time I Squat

Hi as I said above I get back Pain Every time, even sometimes doing a bodyweight squat just before I reach parallel there is little twinges, I am so stiff no matter what stretching I do EG I do the limber 11, plus the world's greatest stretch, then finish with squatting down with a 5kg or 10 kg weight just to loosen the hips etc.

I've also tried the not stretching approach and just done some warming up with the bar, all avenues lead to pain either the day of exercise or my rest day.

I'm now asking for replies from guys who have been in the same boat, and either made it it to the other side through persistence, or who just can't get there without pain and have just decided to scrub squats and train there legs other ways, I also tried the 45 degree angle leg press at my gym an that also aggravates my back.

I also think my form is not the issue either as I asked an instructor to watch me a while back and he was happy with my movement and technique.

Obviously I'm training in the house just now, and Monday was front squat and Wednesday was high bar, all I had on the bar was a measily 50kg and now on Thursday typing this I'm in pain lower back, having to bend over gingerly to wash my face, and don't know if I'll manage front squat on Friday or should even attempt it.

Is some people just not meant for the squat I'm not tall I'm only 5ft 7" so why is the squat such a painful tricky exercise for me, I have watched endless videos trying to pick up tips to see if I am just missing that something.

I do have niggles with my back on and off ever since I hurt it when I was 16, and I worked in a warehouse I was in packing, bending over taping boxes, and I felt something go next thing I couldn't straighten my back, went to the docs and had to lay flat on something hard for three days no inopropriate jokes lol please.

I don't think it's ever been the same since, but I don't want to make excuses cause you here of people in serious accidents and come back squating, last thing and it's probably stupid but I'm not using an Olympic bar just a standard one inch bar I've had for years, I was trying to get one during lockdown, but they're either out of stock or company's are ripping people off with rediculous prices, it probably doesn't matter but thought best to mention it thanks.

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Out of interest have you tried front squats?

I had a back injury and could feel pressure on my back when deadlifting and squatting.

I switched to front squats and because you can't learn forward, I've found them to be much more back friendly.

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you are hurting your back while squatting, it is probably due to butt wink:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/ho...about_buttwink

Also, do yourself a favor and buy Stuart McGill's book "Back Mechanic". You can heal your back to 100% if you follow the program in the book.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post

I had a back injury and could feel pressure on my back when deadlifting and squatting.

I switched to front squats and because you can't learn forward, I've found them to be much more back friendly.
    OP says he was trying them on Monday, but it's not clear if the pain came from them or the High Bar squat on Wednesday.

OP, have you been to a doctor about your back more recently? There may be something that can addressed with physical therapy. I'd look at my options before simply deciding to give up on squats. If you must you must, but you don't know that for sure yet, and they're too good an exercise to throw away if you can work out a way to do them without pain.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post

Thanks mate if you read my long thread lol I actually mention front squats, and them being on my routine for Friday, and not knowing if I can pull them off or not but your right it does put a little less stress on the back.

Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    If you are hurting your back while squatting, it is probably due to butt wink:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/ho...about_buttwink

Also, do yourself a favor and buy Stuart McGill's book "Back Mechanic". You can heal your back to 100% if you follow the program in the book.
    I definitely don't think it's but wink because I'm not below parrelell, and as I said even a simple bodyweight squat before I even reach parallel I feel a twinge in my back, but I'll look for that book thanks.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    OP says he was trying them on Monday, but it's not clear if the pain came from them or the High Bar squat on Wednesday.

OP, have you been to a doctor about your back more recently? There may be something that can addressed with physical therapy. I'd look at my options before simply deciding to give up on squats. If you must you must, but you don't know that for sure yet, and they're too good an exercise to throw away if you can work out a way to do them without pain.
    Honestly mate I know, I would love to do them and move up the weight as that was the plan small increments take it easy no ego, but I keep tweeking my back and back to square one.

To answer the doctor question, when I hurt my back when I was 16 the doc said I had a slight curvature in my spine, fast forward to maybe early thirties I was getting sciatica both sides, and way back then the doctor told me if you squat you could permanently damage your back EG paralysis.

And that scared me but I don't think he should have said that, but back then squats had kind of lost there popularity so I stopped them and train legs differently, but a few years ago I think there was a resurgence of people doing squats in gyms even though the die hards have always done them, so I thought I would give them a try again as you said they're a great exercise, lastly I have seen a few physios over the years and also had my back x rayed and they told me there was some wear and tear what ever that means but it seems to be the universal language for any injury lol, and what that doc told me all those years back has always kind of been in the back of my mind.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gibbsy08 View Post
    Honestly mate I know, I would love to do them and move up the weight as that was the plan small increments take it easy no ego, but I keep tweeking my back and back to square one.

To answer the doctor question, when I hurt my back when I was 16 the doc said I had a slight curvature in my spine, fast forward to maybe early thirties I was getting sciatica both sides, and way back then the doctor told me if you squat you could permanently damage your back EG paralysis.

And that scared me but I don't think he should have said that, but back then squats had kind of lost there popularity so I stopped them and train legs differently, but a few years ago I think there was a resurgence of people doing squats in gyms even though the die hards have always done them, so I thought I would give them a try again as you said they're a great exercise, lastly I have seen a few physios over the years and also had my back x rayed and they told me there was some wear and tear what ever that means but it seems to be the universal language for any injury lol, and what that doc told me all those years back has always kind of been in the back of my mind.
    Sciatica alone shouldn't be a show stopper, but even considering the possibility that the earlier doctor no-cebo'd you by telling you not to squat, there's also the possibility he may have been right. I would make it a high priority to get your back professionally examined by a doctor that is familiar with weight training. Yeah, I know you've gotten the x-rays and the wear and tear, but you need a doc who really understands weight lifting.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Sciatica alone shouldn't be a show stopper, but even considering the possibility that the earlier doctor no-cebo'd you by telling you not to squat, there's also the possibility he may have been right. I would make it a high priority to get your back professionally examined by a doctor that is familiar with weight training. Yeah, I know you've gotten the x-rays and the wear and tear, but you need a doc who really understands weight lifting.
    Thanks but how would I go about finding a doctor like that in the UK, we're not private it's NHS so you get what your given, but say I was to find one private for a one off check up what would you call a doctor like that and where could you find one thanks.

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Feel your pain

I get you %100

I have chronic lower back pain and squats make them worse. I have been to countless Chiropractors and 3 different doctors and like you I have tryed working with 2 different trainers to no avail.... like the other poster said - wear and tear. Been almost 2 years I have given them up all together, except for the occasional "try" just to see...

At the gym I can train around squats but now at home it's a problem

Wish things were different for me but they are not, and like you it's not from lack of trying.

I am NOT saying to give up, but to answer your question, yes I removed them from my training (at least for now at home).

Good luck !

Registered User Eternalstuden79's Avatar
    Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks but how would I go about finding a doctor like that in the UK, we're not private it's NHS so you get what your given, but say I was to find one private for a one off check up what would you call a doctor like that and where could you find one thanks.
    There are plenty 😉

But if you are serious about sorting the problem get a referral to a sports and exercise consultant.

Depending where you are in the UK depends on how many are available. Your gp or physio can refer to them. Yes you might have to pay, but if you want it sorted then that's the price.

boredmeathead is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't back squat heavy anymore either because of this. I can still do body weight box squats. I can still do belt squats. I have ultimately done enough back squats for one lifetime anyway.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I definitely don't think it's but wink because I'm not below parrelell, and as I said even a simple bodyweight squat before I even reach parallel I feel a twinge in my back, but I'll look for that book thanks.
    Don't *assume* get an empty bar and film yourself squatting with your phone from the side and slightly behind. Slowly sink down in a back squat (high or low bar, whatever you normally do) and go a bit deeper than usual. Watch the video and see if/when you wink. It might be before you feel you're doing it and especially if you have a narrow stance it might be higher than you assumed.

Your problem may or may not be related to wink? But you need to know for sure if it's relevant, or you might go off on wrong assumptions.

If you do film a squat with empty bar and also something heavy enough to be a real squat as a bar affects balance (not necessarily super heavy) you could also consider posting here for a form check. There are some posters here who are very experienced and even a couple qualified coaches in there (but they're not me, ignore my advice )

Originally Posted by MecGen View Post
    I get you %100

I have chronic lower back pain and squats make them worse. I have been to countless Chiropractors and 3 different doctors and like you I have tryed working with 2 different trainers to no avail.... like the other poster said - wear and tear. Been almost 2 years I have given them up all together, except for the occasional "try" just to see...

At the gym I can train around squats but now at home it's a problem

Wish things were different for me but they are not, and like you it's not from lack of trying.

I am NOT saying to give up, but to answer your question, yes I removed them from my training (at least for now at home).

Good luck !
    Yep I know mate, I'm the same chronic is the word some days it can be fine others just have to tread carefully, but it just doesn't like the squat and as I said in my original thread even the 45 degree leg press aggravates it.

Originally Posted by Eternalstuden79 View Post
    There are plenty 😉

But if you are serious about sorting the problem get a referral to a sports and exercise consultant.

Depending where you are in the UK depends on how many are available. Your gp or physio can refer to them. Yes you might have to pay, but if you want it sorted then that's the price.
    I'm in Scotland so I need to have a scout around and see, but can't do a thing just now we're still in lockdown cheers.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Don't *assume* get an empty bar and film yourself squatting with your phone from the side and slightly behind. Slowly sink down in a back squat (high or low bar, whatever you normally do) and go a bit deeper than usual. Watch the video and see if/when you wink. It might be before you feel you're doing it and especially if you have a narrow stance it might be higher than you assumed.

Your problem may or may not be related to wink? But you need to know for sure if it's relevant, or you might go off on wrong assumptions.

If you do film a squat with empty bar and also something heavy enough to be a real squat as a bar affects balance (not necessarily super heavy) you could also consider posting here for a form check. There are some posters here who are very experienced and even a couple qualified coaches in there (but they're not me, ignore my advice )
    Thanks if I posted a video like that where would I post it, would I start a new thread again with the video or is there a place specifically to post where experienced guys could look.

Also say for argument sake it was but wink how could you eradicate that from your squat thanks.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have off and on minor back issues. After a bit of break because of it this past 3-4 months I am just getting back in the gym.

It does not have as much to do with an injury per say, its just age, some of us start to wear out earlier than others, injuries make it worse.

The worst thing in my case is sitting for long periods on soft chairs, or laying flat down without support for the natural curve of the spine. When I walk around or do weight training (cleans, jerks and snatches), even running it does not bother me. I found that rolling up a towel and placing it under the small of my back, and placing a pillow under my knees helps with sleeping and has reduced soreness in the morning. I also do yoga stretches such as "childs pose" and "cobras", "cat cow" often when I can, and these help as well. Its a work in process.

Exercises that I feel will aggravate my problem are:Bent over rows and Kettlebell swings, and the leg press machine at the gym. I also dont squat much below parallel anymore.

When you get back into the gym look into finding a way to do the fewest number of compound movements that give you the biggest bang for your buck...doing 15 different things every visit may not be a good idea either too much wear and tear.

YMMV
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    I have off and on minor back issues. After a bit of break because of it this past 3-4 months I am just getting back in the gym.

It does not have as much to do with an injury per say, its just age, some of us start to wear out earlier than others, injuries make it worse.

The worst thing in my case is sitting for long periods on soft chairs, or laying flat down without support for the natural curve of the spine. When I walk around or do weight training (cleans, jerks and snatches), even running it does not bother me. I found that rolling up a towel and placing it under the small of my back, and placing a pillow under my knees helps with sleeping and has reduced soreness in the morning. I also do yoga stretches such as "childs pose" and "cobras", "cat cow" often when I can, and these help as well. Its a work in process.

Exercises that I feel will aggravate my problem are:Bent over rows and Kettlebell swings, and the leg press machine at the gym. I also dont squat much below parallel anymore.

When you get back into the gym look into finding a way to do the fewest number of compound movements that give you the biggest bang for your buck...doing 15 different things every visit may not be a good idea either too much wear and tear.

YMMV
    Thanks I'm on the feirce 5 the now and have been for a while, because the squat keeps halting my progress, but I like the program and just wish I could progress with the squat but it just ain't happening.

yes the leg press really annoys it as well, I can remember years ago at an old gym I used to go to the leg press they had was brilliant, it wasn't at a 45 degree angle it was lower down you pushed your legs nearly vertically up, but not quite and it was a comfortable angle and the pads were thick as well, I believe some of the old equipment was much better than they have in commercial gyms now.

Registered User Eternalstuden79's Avatar
    Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm in Scotland so I need to have a scout around and see, but can't do a thing just now we're still in lockdown cheers.
    DM me.

Depends where you are but I know a couple.

I'm currently in Wales so I'd have been more help for this end of the country as I refer to them.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Youtube search Mckenzie stretches

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    Youtube search Mckenzie stretches

Hi thanks had a look but this is mainly for sciatica, and bulging disk and I don't have sciatica just now not had it for a wee while, and my pain is already centralised it's in my lower back, sore when I bend over at sink etc, in fact any kind of bending over, it's starting to ease a little as I missed training today but I know as soon as I squat again it'll be back, no pun lol.

Originally Posted by Eternalstuden79 View Post
    DM me.

Depends where you are but I know a couple.

I'm currently in Wales so I'd have been more help for this end of the country as I refer to them.
    Hi mate I DM you like you said hope you get back to me cheers.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks if I posted a video like that where would I post it, would I start a new thread again with the video or is there a place specifically to post where experienced guys could look.

Also say for argument sake it was but wink how could you eradicate that from your squat thanks.
    You'd need to post it somewhere then share a link. YouTube is the most obvious one but there's alternatives too.

If, just if... It's butwink, a wider stance often allows someone to go deeper, but if you're close to parallel then maybe just stop there. If there's no form issue that fixed it then some physio would be the obvious step, although that's not quite as easy currently. If you are Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen you might be able to book via Nuffield (which will cost you ) as they have some physio based on gyms so can walk onto gym floor if needed for exercises, again... not this week If it turns out you're in Stromness or somewhere I've no ****** idea what you can do! (Although it's very picturesque up there)

Maybe, qualified medical advice will say you still need to avoid barbell squats, if so ask about 1 leg squats as there's no bar to put pressure on back but you still stress the legs

Good luck!

Edit: Iceman's suggestion may be good even though you don't have sciatica or bulge. Also take a look at this and other resources in this site in case it's of use https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/...ore-stability/
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 05-16-2020 at 01:25 PM.

anonymous
    if its not radiating pain it's likely not sciatica

get an MRI and try to find a good ART sports chiro. Sadly most of them are not 'good' by any definition

mobility every day will likely help. I spend 10 mins every day in a full squat to keep things loose