Lizzie2day is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Starting over after my life was hacked..

Hi I'm Liz, 60 y/o woman 5'4" and 120kg. (264 lb's) When I was 54 I was at the gym 5 days a week; my bod (69 kg/152 lbs) was on its way to greatness, then I was raped and the bottom fell out of my boat. It's 6 yrs on, I'm 60 now and want my life and bod back.

Am I too old to start over? Is this the right space for me?

I can still bend and touch the back of my ankles which I'm proud of. Last night though I raised my coffee table to shift it and realised it felt too heavy. Yep, muscles deteriorating.

I'm not great with crowds of people as I'm still getting over what happened, so going to the gym's out for now, but I'd like to build muscle/stamina to feel strong and confident again.

Seeking support, motivation and advice.
    Kind regards;
    Liz

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This lady didn't start training until she was 56, now at age 81 she's going strong

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/clip/...1-55c3151324b0

I used to know someone who was a coach, one client asked him to train his elderly mother. She had a stairlift because she couldn't get up and down the stairs and was now struggling to get in and out of ordinary height chairs and needed booster cushions.

After a few months she was so improved she didn't even need the stairlift any more. With appropriate training even many people who are infirm can benefit. So what's too old to start? If someone is getting old then it's the other way round, someone is too old Not to start!

The key is starting unbelievably easy and unbelievably light and gentle. So light and easy that the next day you don't feel any aches or tiredness whatsoever. So light it has no obvious effect that you did anything.

It's like that thing about dropping a frog in boiling water it will jump out, but add it to cold and slowly warm it. You need to start at ice cold and warm it painstakingly slowly over the months. But after a few months you'll suddenly realise how much progress you made.

To do that effectively you need to follow a planned program that has sensible balanced exercises appropriate to match your training goals. Please don't get an inexperienced gym trainer who makes it up as they go along and trains according to the "random shouty - no pain no gain" school of thought.

Very sorry to hear about the situation that happened, but I can't see any argument where getting back into training and a healthy diet isn't going to help you both physically and mentally
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 05-12-2020 at 12:59 AM.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

I want to thank you for your kind and informative response Tom. You make valid points along with the link content which amazed me! One hot (Grand) momma!

Yes, a program and goals are a good start. Those on this site are far too advanced, so drawing one up myself isn't a problem to begin. Equipment I have include barbells, bands, a lge punching bag I'm sewing together, (great form of cardio and emotional release) a long back deck for laps and a firm bed for floor exercises and stretches.

Not a huge array of stuff, but for now it's about motivation; getting my bum off the chair right?

Again, I'm grateful for your attention and support. If it's ok, when I've drawn up my program, could you take a look to add/subtract anything that might help? I'd really appreciate that.

Liz

shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think if you just stay in the older people section youll have a better experience here.
    the rest of the site is a cesspool

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Lizzie2day View Post
    Hi I'm Liz, 60 y/o woman 5'4" and 120kg. (264 lb's) When I was 54 I was at the gym 5 days a week; my bod (69 kg/152 lbs) was on its way to greatness, then I was raped and the bottom fell out of my boat. It's 6 yrs on, I'm 60 now and want my life and bod back.

I can still bend and touch the back of my ankles which I'm proud of. Last night though I raised my coffee table to shift it and realised it felt too heavy. Yep, muscles deteriorating.

I'm not great with crowds of people as I'm still getting over what happened, so going to the gym's out for now, but I'd like to build muscle/stamina to feel strong and confident again.

Kind regards;
    Liz
    I tell people I'm not too old to train, I'm too old to NOT train!

I started at age 59 after a hiatus of about 23 years. In that 5 year period I've had to stop a couple of times due to two unrelated cancer diagnoses, the first time I was out for 8 months the second time out for 2 months. I'm 21 weeks out from my most recent re-start, and I'm well on track to exceeding the abilities I had then. I'm stronger than I was in my twenties, and I feel younger than I did in my forties.

Not only are you not too old to start over, now is the best time. It's time to take your life back. Don't let that bastard win. There's no reason not to start. Not only can you get back to where you were before this setback, you can exceed it.

And it won't require 5 days a week if you do it right.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by shawn2020 View Post
    I think if you just stay in the older people section youll have a better experience here.
    Not all of it, the Workout Programs, Nutrition, and Exercises section has good content. There's also the Female bodybuilding section, although I can't say I'm real cognizant of what goes on in there.

But the Misc... Stay away from the Misc at all costs, unless you be the bravest of the brave -- "if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further! For death awaits you all with nasty big pointy teeth.

64 and still a newbie.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's not a cesspool, but those of us with more life experience tend to reply with more tact and more responsibility. Except the Misc., it's a jungle in there.

Liz, any exercise you do will improve your physique, mood, and health. A good feature of any program is some kind of *goal* for your workouts. Even if you're lifting with limited equipment or just punching the bag, set some goals and try to reach those goals every workout. Write them down and add to them every time you reach them. If you have a day where you're tired or you don't reach your goal, don't worry! Everyone has that kind of day at all levels of their experience. Feeling weak is part of getting stronger, and getting weak on purpose (from a tough workout) is built into every program. Overall, you will get stronger and feel better.
    Currently running Candito-Nuckols hybrid:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1609096311#post1609096311

startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    L2D, seems like your mind is getting in the right place, so your body can follow

Of course you are not too old to start over ..... if you want it then do it, and don't be negatively influenced by anyone

the past is in the past
    you can't forget it
    don't dwell on it
    move forward with some degree of selfishness

make goals .... achieve them .... and change them purposefully when you have to

there are some great people in OV35
    the board may not move that fast but they're around

give yourself a little bit of time each day to read threads on diet, exercise, and things of interest. It's a lot like learning to play chess ... difficult at first but after a while you develop your own strategy.

good luck on your long term journey
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The "older people" section lol.

But yeah, the misc is like an alternate reality where everyone is earning $400k a year, having sex 3 times a day and benching 300 pounds with one hand.

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    The "older people" section lol.

But yeah, the misc is like an alternate reality where everyone is earning $400k a year, having sex 3 times a day and benching 300 pounds with one hand.
    Those were the good old days!

64 and still a newbie.

@ElrondHubbard; @startingat56; @MrCarrot; @ECGordyn; @Shawn2020;

I found myself getting a bit emotional reading through your supportive comments, yet felt more motivated than I have in a long time. Thankyou all...

I'm heading off to the coast to help my sis out who's in a jam. She works out every other day at the gym and walks a few Km's each morning, so I'll be in good company.

I'll be sure to stay clear of the Misc. section, start slow and build to a crescendo as time passes. The first step of many on my journey...

Again, thank you all for your wonderful words;

Liz

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    I tell people I'm not too old to train, I'm too old to NOT train!

I started at age 59 after a hiatus of about 23 years. In that 5 year period I've had to stop a couple of times due to two unrelated cancer diagnoses, the first time I was out for 8 months the second time out for 2 months. I'm 21 weeks out from my most recent re-start, and I'm well on track to exceeding the abilities I had then. I'm stronger than I was in my twenties, and I feel younger than I did in my forties.

Not only are you not too old to start over, now is the best time. It's time to take your life back. Don't let that bastard win. There's no reason not to start. Not only can you get back to where you were before this setback, you can exceed it.

And it won't require 5 days a week if you do it right.
    You're a legend El-H!!
    How brave and stoic are you? I know we shouldn't compare war wounds, but my story seems to pale in comparison to your journey of setbacks. I'm very sorry you've had to endure such things.

On the plus side though, you've thrived and are a glowing inspiration for me.
    Keep on keeping on...
    Liz

You're a legend El-H!!
    How brave and stoic are you? I know we shouldn't compare war wounds, but my story seems to pale in comparison to your journey of setbacks. I'm very sorry you've had to endure such things.

On the plus side though, you've thrived and are a glowing inspiration for me.
    Keep on keeping on...
    Liz
    No, Liz, your story does not pale with anything.

I've had my challenges, but I've also had a loving and supportive wife through all of them (also very supportive towards my workouts), great doctors, and an accommodating workplace. I never felt sick from the cancers, although there were periods after the treatments that were tough. But that was physical, and they passed. I've never had to go through the emotional trauma you have, and I would never minimize such a thing.

BUT, you can do it, you can get through it, and you can triumph, and if my story helps convince you of that and encourage you, then it's worth telling.

Keep us updated, there are a lot of us that take great pride in seeing the growth and accomplishments of our fellow travellers!

64 and still a newbie.

You're right of course ElH; we've both had our battles and come through it. Having a supportive wife is great. I'm glad for you there as I've been recovering alone; sucks but life's like that I guess.

I'm heading off tomorrow to my sister's and taking my equipment with me. Yes, will keep you in the loop with my progress. Thankyou...
    Kind thoughts;
    Liz

gridsmart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kind regards;
    Liz
    Hi Liz...you are a hero for being here, taking the decision to take your body back. I applaud you and wanna just shout out, "NO IT's NOT TOO LATE" Look ahead to the wonderful years of good health and flexibility that you'll have, and make every day count.
    Gridsmart2004

startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    GS & L2D, you guys should start a thread and report in on each others progress. There are many who will offer support. Maybe you can attract others who want to begin as well

take the leap
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nubgains is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just wanted to say, I wish you all the best in your journey. I'm only 33, so I can't speak from experience, but I can speak from observation. You're never too old.

My mother got very sick as she aged and it forced a very sedentary life style on a once very active person. It only made things worse. So if you're able to be active, you damn well should be, for your own sake. It will make your life so much more valuable and enjoyable.

Live your life!
    Good Luck!

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can, and should, absolutely start working out. Obviously you will need to adapt it your own abilities and circumstances, but whatever you do, no matter how little, can only be a good thing.