sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting Strength questions

So I have been creating my own programs my entire life. I have basically borrowed from everyone and everything. But I am thinking about trying a program like staring strength. Something proven to work for thousands of people. No guesswork.

The Starting Strength program looks pretty easy to follow. Squat, bench, deadlift in one day. 3 times a week. Not a lot of set or reps. But... Weight. How much effort, or percentage of my max should be used for each lift?

For example.

Workout A
    5x3 Squat
    5x3 Bench
    5x1 Deadlift

5 sets with only 1 rep per set on deadlifts. Should I try to hit a max effort for each lift? Or start lower, and work to a 1 rep max? Or something else...?

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's my suggestion that you follow Fierce 5, All Pro, Coolcicada PPL or the PPLrULr program. I'm biased towards the PPLrULr. YMMV.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've never done SS but I'm pretty sure you've got it wrong. It should be:

WORKOUT A
    Squat 3 x 5 (as in 3 sets of 5 reps)
    Bench 3 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5

WORKOUT B
    Squat 3 x 5
    OHP 3 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5

Week 1 do ABA
    Week 2 do BAB

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you've got the sets and reps bvackwards somehow

I wouldnt suggest following starting strength, It's very poorly designed with no thought for longevity.
    It's the hit n run of programs, it will either get you to intermediate territory very quick, but with large weaknesses, or it will break you and put you off
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    you've got the sets and reps bvackwards somehow

I wouldnt suggest following starting strength, It's very poorly designed with no thought for longevity.
    It's the hit n run of programs, it will either get you to intermediate territory very quick, but with large weaknesses, or it will break you and put you off
    This. There are way better and more balanced programs out there.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Many options vastly superior to ss or sl.

Greyskull
    Gzclp
    Ptw novice
    The bridge
    Candito linear

Are my faves with better programming and lay better foundations for future lifting.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I don't always reply to threads. Cos I don't always remember I posted in the first place😅

philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It sounds like you are not a beginner lifter. Starting Strength has the word "starting" in it because its their beginners program. The Texas Method is the intermediate program.

Texas Method is something like for bench, squat, deadlift, and overhead press (the rep schemes are different for accessory work like pull-ups and barbell rows):

5 x 5 at 90% of your 5 rep max on Monday

2 x 5 at 80% of your 5 rep max on Wednesday

1 x 5 at 100% of your 5 rep max on Friday (you try to set a new 5 rep max every Friday)

The Starting Strength programing is similar for advanced lifters except they use like 4 week cycles rather than 1 week.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by philibusters View Post
    It sounds like you are not a beginner lifter. Starting Strength has the word "starting" in it because its their beginners program. The Texas Method is the intermediate program.

Texas Method is something like for bench, squat, deadlift, and overhead press (the rep schemes are different for accessory work like pull-ups and barbell rows):

5 x 5 at 90% of your 5 rep max on Monday

2 x 5 at 80% of your 5 rep max on Wednesday

1 x 5 at 100% of your 5 rep max on Friday (you try to set a new 5 rep max every Friday)

The Starting Strength programing is similar for advanced lifters except they use like 4 week cycles rather than 1 week.
    Vanilla TM is even worse than starting strength, it lacks pretty much everything someone whose past linear progression needs to progress consistently.

There's no autoregulation, very little variation, no concept of strategies to use when you regress, and a ridiculous light day.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The 'wiki' TM is essentially just another tweak to the phases of ss.

Its just a way to stretch out novice lp. As is, id rate it as I do ss. Sub par, missing elements, can do much better.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I don't always reply to threads. Cos I don't always remember I posted in the first place😅

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The biggest drawback to Starting Strength is you have to quit or you'll end up looking like Mark Rippetoe.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    The biggest drawback to Starting Strength is you have to quit or you'll end up looking like Mark Rippetoe.
    That's the absolute least likely thing to happen 😂

Especially if you actually follow his, all be it, limited nutrition advice as prescribed. Or any other half was sensible nutritional advice.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    So I have been creating my own programs my entire life. I have basically borrowed from everyone and everything. But I am thinking about trying a program like staring strength. Something proven to work for thousands of people. No guesswork.

The Starting Strength program looks pretty easy to follow. Squat, bench, deadlift in one day. 3 times a week. Not a lot of set or reps. But... Weight. How much effort, or percentage of my max should be used for each lift?

For example.

Workout A
    5x3 Squat
    5x3 Bench
    5x1 Deadlift

5 sets with only 1 rep per set on deadlifts. Should I try to hit a max effort for each lift? Or start lower, and work to a 1 rep max? Or something else...?
    Just a thought, https://physiqz.com/powerlifting-pro...w-5x5-workout/