growordie2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting Started, Looking for Community

This was going to be the year that I got it all dialed in: diet, exercise, sleep, work.

In January I was a machine.

I've never been more productive at work, and never been more disciplined in the gym and with my diet. And then one morning in February, I rushed through my warm-up, excited to jump into heavy back squats. It was strength week! YAAAAA!

Do I even need to say it?

On the third rep, I wrenched my back. I dropped the weight and spent the next week in pain.

My back had just begin to recover and I was re-establishing the New Year level of focus when the virus hit.

Now my gym is closed, I'm working from home (not very productively) my kids are also home from school, and I'm eating like a slob. I thought I could do this alone but I can't.

I have some workout options at home (kettlebell, two 25 lb dumbbells, and a Peloton) but where I really need to regain focus is on diet and sleep. I also need to find a way to get back to work and build some strength. I'm not opposed to buying a home gym set, but figure there is much more I can do before I just plunk out $2k for stuff that maybe I don't need. Yet.

I've got a lot to figure out, but I have some time to do it, because my goals do come with a deadline. I've got just over three years until I hit 40, and I am quite serious when I say I will enter that decade of my life in top physical condition.

I am posting here because I want to know if anyone would care to join me.

I'm looking for a few fitness friends on this site to help an ex-jock who still eats like he is 19 transform into a lean, fit, 40 year old who will turn heads at the beach and enter the second half of life in top health.

Let me know if you want to join up. Until then, I'll see you all around the squat rack!

SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteadyFlexOnU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Exclamation

I miss threads and people like you. Reminds me of the internet of the early to mid 2000s before it was fully corrupted with scum.

Come to the misc where there is plenty of community! From incels to leftists to trannys and twinks theres something for everyone bro!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by growordie2020 View Post
    This was going to be the year that I got it all dialed in: diet, exercise, sleep, work.

In January I was a machine.

I've never been more productive at work, and never been more disciplined in the gym and with my diet. And then one morning in February, I rushed through my warm-up, excited to jump into heavy back squats. It was strength week! YAAAAA!

Do I even need to say it?

On the third rep, I wrenched my back. I dropped the weight and spent the next week in pain.

My back had just begin to recover and I was re-establishing the New Year level of focus when the virus hit.

Now my gym is closed, I'm working from home (not very productively) my kids are also home from school, and I'm eating like a slob. I thought I could do this alone but I can't.

I have some workout options at home (kettlebell, two 25 lb dumbbells, and a Peloton) but where I really need to regain focus is on diet and sleep. I also need to find a way to get back to work and build some strength. I'm not opposed to buying a home gym set, but figure there is much more I can do before I just plunk out $2k for stuff that maybe I don't need. Yet.

I've got a lot to figure out, but I have some time to do it, because my goals do come with a deadline. I've got just over three years until I hit 40, and I am quite serious when I say I will enter that decade of my life in top physical condition.

I am posting here because I want to know if anyone would care to join me.

I'm looking for a few fitness friends on this site to help an ex-jock who still eats like he is 19 transform into a lean, fit, 40 year old who will turn heads at the beach and enter the second half of life in top health.

Let me know if you want to join up. Until then, I'll see you all around the squat rack!
    The home gym is not for everyone, but for some, yours truly included, it can be a game changer. First ask yourself, "would I continue to use the home gym even after the quarantine is over?

If Yes, then you night consider building a basic rack and bench out of lumber, there are plenty of plans and instructional videos on the internet. You could save yourself around $700 that way. Bar and plates might require a bit of searching.

As for us joining up, we already have. We're all members here -- you've joined us! Explore around, post a journal, ask and answer questions. There's a lot of mutual support here for our fellow lifters.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by SteadyFlexOnU View Post
    I miss threads and people like you. Reminds me of the internet of the early to mid 2000s before it was fully corrupted with scum.

Come to the misc where there is plenty of community! From incels to leftists to trannys and twinks theres something for everyone bro!
    That's very kind.

I certainly appreciate the modern form of ****-posting that dominates new mediums, and yes, most old ones, but my preferred internet aesthetic is still early 00s.

When I moved my family into the suburbs, I joked to my wife that we would enjoy the neighborhood, because here, it is still 1998.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    The home gym is not for everyone, but for some, yours truly included, it can be a game changer. First ask yourself, "would I continue to use the home gym even after the quarantine is over?

If Yes, then you night consider building a basic rack and bench out of lumber, there are plenty of plans and instructional videos on the internet. You could save yourself around $700 that way. Bar and plates might require a bit of searching.

As for us joining up, we already have. We're all members here -- you've joined us! Explore around, post a journal, ask and answer questions. There's a lot of mutual support here for our fellow lifters.
    Thanks, ElrondHubbard!

shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100) shawn2020 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I turned 37 in april. Joined the gym in january.

I tried really really hard to get into shape two years ago and just kept getting injured. One of the more serious times was from a foul during a basketball game.. i thought playing basketball at la fitness would encourage me to push harder since i hate treadmills.

ive been really focused now for two weeks

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well I've been hard at work in the last month or so, transforming my physique from that of an average middle aged guy into a fat middle aged guy, my progress has been beyond my expectations. Give me another couple of weeks and I'll be in perfect shape to start a physique transformation

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post

Solid advice ^^^^^

I built two home gyms over the years, they never got the use they were built for. I prefer a commercial gym. Others are opposite.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Well I've been hard at work in the last month or so, transforming my physique from that of an average middle aged guy into a fat middle aged guy, my progress has been beyond my expectations. Give me another couple of weeks and I'll be in perfect shape to start a physique transformation
    LMAO! You aren't alone Tom, expect stiff competition once this is over
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    LMAO! You aren't alone Tom, expect stiff competition once this is over
    https://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/p...tTom/104962179

OK here goes, this may be the first and only pic of me on the internet? So it's my best photo. Anyways... Fat gut starting point.
    Let's see what 1,500 cals a day does, plus a few ab exercises in the hope the fat will thin enough to see anything under it. My Achilles may be healed enough (5 weeks no exercise) to restart short gentle jogging. Unfortunately I no longer have gym access.

Not trying to hijack OP thread, rather giving him something to compete against. Growordie2020, come on let's see your gut as starting point! Upload a pic as starting point to your bodyspace.

Edit: weird.. makes me look like I've waxed/shaved my gut, how does the camera or lighting do that? (Won't complain, I need all the photoshopping I can get)

Originally Posted by shawn2020 View Post
    I turned 37 in april. Joined the gym in january.

I tried really really hard to get into shape two years ago and just kept getting injured. One of the more serious times was from a foul during a basketball game.. i thought playing basketball at la fitness would encourage me to push harder since i hate treadmills.

ive been really focused now for two weeks
    That's great, Shawn! Are you finding ways to work out at home?

Sometimes I joke that I've been working on my "before" picture for about 17 years. It's just about ready . . .

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Are you stronger from the convict conditioning?

Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Are you stronger from the convict conditioning?
    probably not due to poor consistency and compliance. Also my lack of mobility and coordination is preventing my progression (shoulders for table top bridging, ankles also because I can't deep air squat feet and knees together without falling over backwards unless I put something under heels. And I still all this time later can't hold crow stand/frog stand for more than 2 seconds). My aim was to reduce the speed I'm weakening.

That all said it's hard to tell because firstly: I can't measure against my old strength in terms of OHP or DL etc, secondly it's a different type of strength and training that I'm unskilled at and naturally inept.

There is some progress though. I feel like I'm currently filling in gaps in my foundations rather than getting stronger as such. Hopefully in the long game this'll enable more strength later. One example is diamond pushups. For whatever reason I used to find them weirdly difficult, just something about them I didn't like. But now they're just push-ups, more difficult than ordinary but nothing remarkable about them.

I really want to get that frog stand, handstand and deep knees-together squat fixed, as that unlocks future progress.

I'll only really know how it worked out when one day I return to the gym and see how quickly I get back to it. I respect calisthenics but I enjoy barbell more.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My advise right now is to learn how to use the kettlebells you have.
    There are many things you can do with them a whole system in itself.
    The draw back are some of the movements(ballistics,swings,cleans and snatches) have a learning curve and are best leaned from a KB instructor.
    Im not saying these are an end all tool but it's what you have and you should take advantage of that.
    Most things you can do with two KB's can be done with one also.
    If your serious about your goal have a training and diet journal and record exactly what you eat and how much.
    It's the only way to be accurate.
    This is to much to do for some people but it's a discipline that needs to be done.
    Same goes with training knowing what is working for you and what is not.
    This is a place to start.
    I won't be joining you as I'm doing my own thing and am satisfied where I'm at.
    Good luck to you.

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sometimes I joke that I've been working on my "before" picture for about 17 years. It's just about ready . . .
    Yeah, I used to be proud of my 12-pack abs.
    -Voltaire

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You're in good company, plenty of people here who are either on the same journey or have been there in the past. Some advice:

1) No one can force you to do this, the motivation has to come from you. On the flip side, if you decide to improve no one can stop you. You have full responsibility and full control.
    2) Work with the tools you have on hand or can easily build / acquire. Don't go out and drop a bunch of money until you're sure you're going to stick with it. Example: You could build a home pulley system for less than $50 from parts commonly available at the local hardware store (or Amazon). It's also pretty easy to make various kinds of weights with sand or concrete. You've got more than enough already to get started.
    3) Exercise is necessary but it's diet that is going to make or break you, get started on that right away.
    4) Don't be afraid to ask for advice, lots of knowledgable people on the forums. If you ask for advice and multiple people say the same thing, you should really think hard about following it.
    5) Don't give up, success is merely a matter of time and effort so stick with it.

Bluesteel advice is good.

I was reading some article by Jim Wendler where he'd made his own dumbbell using a 1" diameter metal rod and cheap plates with 1" holes (and spring clips to keep weights on). The grip was a BMX rubber handlebar grip which apparently fits a 1" rod very nicely and makes for a great dumbbell grip.

In his case it was so he could go heavier than commercially available dumbbells (not a problem for mortals like me). But it does show that home-made equipment can be as good or better than what's in gyms

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've got to admit, I could never be a regular at gym at 59. I've got a rack, bench, and the bars. I also can row every morning on a lake or at home.
    I've had memberships in gyms before, but I could get it done under my gym my rules much quicker. I can do things like use chalk, and wear whatever I want or don't want.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    I could get it done under my gym my rules much quicker. I can do things like use chalk, and wear whatever I want or don't want.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I’d hate to ever have to wear shorts again while training.

Err, shirt! I meant a shirt!
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

GuyInNYC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey. I'm just getting back into fitness. I live in nyc and usually we move around a lot to at least get some exercise. But we are still on lockdown here.

Originally Posted by GuyInNYC View Post
    Hey. I'm just getting back into fitness. I live in nyc and usually we move around a lot to at least get some exercise. But we are still on lockdown here.
    You've come to the right place. Until things open up, you could at least lift the pigeons.
    -Voltaire