Thread: Booze and shred

Balbertt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Booze and shred

Curious what everyone's alcohol consumption is like. I have never tried to do a real cut before so I am a noob at this. The first month of my cut I decided to go alcohol free, saw great results so far. The weather is getting nicer and frankly I miss beer. I was in a frat and a lot of my brothers were shredded but still binge drank so I know its possible. What did they know that I didnt? Is it as simple as including alcohol into your daily calorie allotment? stick to vodka sodas? white claws? tons of cardio before/ after?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    They didn't "know" anything special. Being young and having the genetics and sporting background to be lean despite (not because) of their behaviour.

In terms of what YOU can do - factor in alcohol calories to your daily macros. That's it.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    They didn't "know" anything special. Being young and having the genetics and sporting background to be lean despite (not because) of their behaviour.

In terms of what YOU can do - factor in alcohol calories to your daily macros. That's it.
    Thanks for the advice, ill factor it into my macros. Figure ill fast in the morning and have a large protein/ carb packed dinner
    Last edited by Balbertt; 05-07-2020 at 04:47 AM.

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I go through wine like a middle aged housewife.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Alcohol doesn't make cutting impossible, but it sure makes it a lot harder. Always comes down to calories in/calories out - and alcohol is a bunch of empty calories that don't count towards your macro goals.

Your best bet is to stick to the lowest calorie options, like light beer and spirit/soda mixes. A couple drinks here and there is usually not a big deal - but any serious drinking makes cutting successfully more or less impossible - the math doesn't work out with calories/macros etc and still being in a deficit.

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Balbertt View Post
    Thanks for the advice, ill factor it into my macros. Figure ill fast in the morning and have a large protein/ carb packed dinner
    if you’re choosing which macro group to take out of and replace with alcohol, carbs are your best option, just remember alcohol has more calories per gram than carbs
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Another thing to be aware of, yet varies as far as controlling it from person to person is how alcohol effects you decision-making around the rest of your diet. If it lowers your inhibition enough to give in to cravings, etc. You'd be replacing more nutritional calories with alcoholic calories and THEN say "screw it" and overeat from there. You can have both, but like said above, makes things a lot more difficult for most people.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Another thing to be aware of, yet varies as far as controlling it from person to person is how alcohol effects you decision-making around the rest of your diet. If it lowers your inhibition enough to give in to cravings, etc. You'd be replacing more nutritional calories with alcoholic calories and THEN say "screw it" and overeat from there. You can have both, but like said above, makes things a lot more difficult for most people.
    That's a good point, usually I can control my thought process when drinking so I don't think it will be much of a issue to me. I limit most of my "heavier" drinking to weekends and even then it is spotty. It is mostly social other than a few scotches here and there. Going to factor it into my calorie intake/ try and burn a lot of the calories I plan on drinking that day. I did not have a drop of alcohol the last month of my cut, I am very happy with my results so far so that will be a good control. I am going to easy into it a bit this month as a experiment. I will let you guys know what happens, thank you all.

superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100) superyids85 is not very well liked. (-100)
    you mention 'frat'. are u at university.

I drank like a fish and was skinny until I was around the age of 21 and then I started to get bigger. it could just be age and genetics.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It’s a calorie issue. The lower the calories required to lose fat the harder it is to fit all ol into your diet
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
    I go through wine like a middle aged housewife.
    A guy I trained in 1980 got really serious and started competing in ‘83 and and lived on protein powder, wine, pot and special vitamins and looked incredible

I’m a 2 glass a night guy except when I need to lose then it has to go otherwise it really prolongs the dieting down phase

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    A guy I trained in 1980 got really serious and started competing in ‘83 and and lived on protein powder, wine, pot and special vitamins and looked incredible

I’m a 2 glass a night guy except when I need to lose then it has to go otherwise it really prolongs the dieting down phase
    I'm not really too bothered with looking shredded. I rarely go swimming for the hell of it. I drink hard alcohol but you can't enjoy it like a nice chilled white with cheese and bread. You know you've had too much wine when you eat some sour, unripe fruit or candy and think back to a specific wine you've had recently.

A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) A4min is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Keeping the negatives of alcohol consumption whilst training aside, i always try to avoid "drinking" my calories on a cut.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As someone else said, for me its more about the self control around snacking. When I drink beer i’ll eat every chip I see, especially if guac is involved. Otherwise yeah just count it similar to carbs and its all good.
    Superbus est, qui loquitur in prouerbiis Latinis.

Really the bottom line is the more you’re focused on fitness the Less you’ll drink.

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    As someone else said, for me its more about the self control around snacking. When I drink beer i’ll eat every chip I see, especially if guac is involved. Otherwise yeah just count it similar to carbs and its all good.
    No love for harder and crunchier snacks?

EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliKoehn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I realize that drinking in any sizable amount is unhealthy to begin with, but to those of you saying you need to add it into your macros, what if you simply drink on an empty stomach and choose drinks that have fewer non-alcoholic calories? AFAIK, alcohol itself cannot be stored as fat when metabolized, but rather, accelerates fat storage with existing digestion. So what if you just drink on an empty stomach and then go to bed? Again, that's not a great choice anyway for a number of reasons, but if you want to binge without totally going overboard, is that not a relatively clean way to do it?

I drink at least a few beers most nights of the week. I'd be leaner if I didn't, no doubt. Decided not to drink anything in January while generally cutting and lost over ten pounds in a month, which I have regained.
    I am actually 23

Stats:
    6'2" 240lbs (18" arms)

Bench: 300
    Squat: 275 (make fun of me, I deserve it!)
    Deadlift: 445

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I realize that drinking in any sizable amount is unhealthy to begin with, but to those of you saying you need to add it into your macros, what if you simply drink on an empty stomach and choose drinks that have fewer non-alcoholic calories? AFAIK, alcohol itself cannot be stored as fat when metabolized, but rather, accelerates fat storage with existing digestion. So what if you just drink on an empty stomach and then go to bed? Again, that's not a great choice anyway for a number of reasons, but if you want to binge without totally going overboard, is that not a relatively clean way to do it?

I drink at least a few beers most nights of the week. I'd be leaner if I didn't, no doubt. Decided not to drink anything in January while generally cutting and lost over ten pounds in a month, which I have regained.
    You aren't gaining any sort of magical benefits by drinking alcohol on an empty stomach, you are still consuming the same amount of calories had you drank the beers on a full stomach lol. That's not how nutrition works. Quit trying to game the system as you are making it more difficult than it needs to be.

If you want to have some beers, account for them. Simple as that.

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post

It's prioritized for energy so other things waiting to be used for energy are put on hold till alcohol wears off so it still comes down to weekly calories.

ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’m 40 and had five margaritas over the weekend and some barbecue and literally put on 3 pounds no bs

I counted every bit of it in myfitnesspal and only went over my 1700 daily calorie goal by 30 cal one day and 230 cal the other

I’m trying to drop about 8/9 pounds in the next five weeks for an upcoming liveaboard trip in the Gulf of Mexico so I can fit into a particular 7 mm wetsuit I own and chit is not working out for me currently

Feelsfukkinbadman
    * Lift & Misc *

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ReadyToLift2019 View Post
    I’m 40 and had five margaritas over the weekend and some barbecue and literally put on 3 pounds no bs

I counted every bit of it in myfitnesspal and only went over my 1700 daily calorie goal by 30 cal one day and 230 cal the other

I’m trying to drop about 8/9 pounds in the next five weeks for an upcoming liveaboard trip in the Gulf of Mexico so I can fit into a particular 7 mm wetsuit I own and chit is not working out for me currently

Feelsfukkinbadman
    It was probably the barbeque. That always makes me bloat up - it's just water though.

That 3lbs can only be fat if you sneaked in about 10000 extra calories somehow.

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It was probably the barbeque. That always makes me bloat up - it's just water though.

That 3lbs can only be fat if you sneaked in about 10000 extra calories somehow.
    This. If you were barbecuing and drinkin margs over the weekend and didn't gain 3 pounds (of mostly water weight) then you were bbq'in wrong. Hope you had a good time and enjoyed yourself

Feelsfukkinbadman
    that was water, and a 7mm wetsuit? Why?

ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ReadyToLift2019 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    This. If you were barbecuing and drinkin margs over the weekend and didn't gain 3 pounds (of mostly water weight) then you were bbq'in wrong. Hope you had a good time and enjoyed yourself
    It was ok enough but I knew this was coming and it made it hard to enjoy because of this ongoing cycle:

I work and workout like a slave for 5 straight days, obsess and absolutely suffer over every single calorie for the same 5 days and then when the weekend arrives I indulge (in what I consider) responsibly/moderately but come the following Monday morning it’s like everything I did for the previous week was all for nothing.

It then takes me until that Wednesday to get back to the weight that I was on the previous Friday and if I dare deviate again when the next weekend arrives I’m in even worst shape the following Monday afterwards...

Absolutely depressing af.
    * Lift & Misc *

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    that was water, and a 7mm wetsuit? Why?
    Scuba diving oil rigs and open ocean up to 5x/day (you get cold quickly doing repetitive dives per day and need the thermal protection)
    * Lift & Misc *

It was ok enough but I knew this was coming and it made it hard to enjoy because of this ongoing cycle:

I work and workout like a slave for 5 straight days, obsess and absolutely suffer over every single calorie for the same 5 days and then when the weekend arrives I indulge (in what I consider) responsibly/moderately but come the following Monday morning it’s like everything I did for the previous week was all for nothing.

It then takes me until that Wednesday to get back to the weight that I was on the previous Friday and if I dare deviate again when the next weekend arrives I’m in even worst shape the following Monday afterwards...

Absolutely depressing af.
    Weigh once a week on Friday morning after getting up and peeing. This will be your weight during the week with the least water retention. Use this for your barometer. Weighing several times a week will just screw with your head unless you know how to do a daily average.

As long as there is a downward trend Friday to Friday you're losing fat. If a couple Fridays go by and no loss you aren't in a deficit and need to lower weekly calories.