newblifter420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What to look for when buying protein powders

Hi all, newish lifter looking to get into bodybuilding one day.

For maximal results, what should one look for when comparing protein brands? Ive been looking at some that have higher (to me) cholesterol content, sodium, sugars, and fats. Would these not be harmful to overall performance,'not to mention kidneys or something with all the minerals?

The main ones i'm refering to are BPN and 1st Phorm. I'm leaning towards 1UP nutrition because they have low sugar and fat but i'm not sure if cutting those out are the best move either.

Thanks!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Look for the total grams of protein per serving. And the cost per serving.

I would not concern myself with other ingredients unless I knew I had an intolerance to them. E.g. some people react badly to sugar alcohols that are used as sweetners. Everything else should comply to a high standard of food safety if made in a country like the US.

Be careful about some of the hysteria and nonsense concerning some additives you might read on the internet.

Sugar and fat are unlikely to be an issue unless you are on a very low calorie diet and trying to avoid as many non wholefood calories as possible. In which case I don't recommend protein shakes at all, eat meat and eggs instead.

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Look for the total grams of protein per serving. And the cost per serving.

I would not concern myself with other ingredients unless I knew I had an intolerance to them. E.g. some people react badly to sugar alcohols that are used as sweetners. Everything else should comply to a high standard of food safety if made in a country like the US.

Be careful about some of the hysteria and nonsense concerning some additives you might read on the internet.

Sugar and fat are unlikely to be an issue unless you are on a very low calorie diet and trying to avoid as many non wholefood calories as possible. In which case I don't recommend protein shakes at all, eat meat and eggs instead.
    Nailed it, especially with the sugar alcohols. Haven't seen that addressed enough

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Get things out of your head like, "Maximal results." It's just powdered food that you can use to help meet your macros should you need the help. It is not requisite and it is not magic muscle fertilizer.

Here are the criteria for choosing a protein powder:
    1) Is it collagen or beef iso of some sort? If not, cool, move on to step 2. If so, stop looking at those and find another source.
    2) Do you have an allergy? Well skip that type.
    3) Do you like the taste?
    4) Does it fit your budget?
    5) Does it fit your macros?

That's it. If you're not sure about taste, skip that step and find a few that meet the other criteria and buy the smallest tubs you can to try the taste out. Decide from there.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."