Registered User GoldenEraPhysiq's Avatar
    GoldenEraPhysiq is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Half-Week Deloads

Anyone like just a quick half-week deload to be enough to get you refreshed and ready to progress again?

Say on my upper lower split...
    Where Im pushing progression hard for 3-4 weeks, then deloading and switching up rep ranges and exercise selection, then repeating that cycle pushing hard for 3-4 weeks, then deloading and switching, pushing, deloading and switching etc etc etc

W1 - Upper/Lower....Upper/Lower....
    W2 - Upper/Lower....Upper/Lower....
    W3 - Upper/Lower....Upper/Lower....
    W4 - Upper/Lower....Deload/Deload....
    W5/W1...

Or is it just not enough time to dissipate fatigue, and a full week is necesssary...?

I mean... I guess the answer will just be "it depends".... because if the training wasnt very strenuous then you might not need that deload at all....
    But since Im running with a rep range or a lift for just 3-4 weeks then switching, Im being pretty damn aggressive with progression when its there, and my volume isnt low.

Just a thought...

Thanks

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Deloading or taking a break from training altogether is entirely dependent upon an individual.

One pair of jeans that is snug on one person is too tight on another. What is right for person isn’t necessarily right for another.

I’m going on the 10-12 week mark without any deloads and I do higher volume training. I try to make a point to take some sort of recovery period around the 8-10 week mark either in the form of a deload or a couple days off altogether but my lifts are going up, progress has been consistent so I’m not ready right now. Listening to my body.

Here’s the question: do you actually feel you need that rest period at that point in your training cycle, and are you fatigued and progress is starting to slow down or is the opposite true and you’re making good and consistent progress, and you just feel that you have to deload for some reason? Figure out what works best for you with your program, recovery and progress and then go with it.
    Last edited by health4life24; 05-01-2020 at 01:55 AM.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

Originally Posted by health4life24 View Post
    Deloading or taking a break from training altogether is entirely dependent upon an individual.

One pair of jeans that is snug on one person is too tight on another. What is right for person isn’t necessarily right for another.

I’m going on the 10-12 week mark without any deloads. I try to make a point to take some sort of recovery period around the 8-10 week mark either in the form of a deload or a couple days off altogether but my lifts are going up, progress has been consistent so I’m waiting. Listening to my body.

Here’s the question: do you actually feel you need that rest period at that point in your training cycle, and are you fatigued and progress is starting to slow down or is the opposite true and you’re making good and consistent progress, and you just feel that you have to deload for some reason?
    Figure out what works best for you with your program, recovery and progress and then go with it.

Yeah I completely understand it going to be individual, I should have added that into my "it depends" bit at the end. Wow it almost makes this a pointless thread hahah, but i'll try give you some background....

I havent trialed this system long enough to answer your question completely relevant to this current setup, but from previous things of a similar style I know that I can usually push progression for about 4 weeks and then my lifts tank and regress and I need to drop fatigue and start over. Thats what has worked before. This time around since Im gonna change some lifts and change my rep ranges on my big lifts every 3-4 weeks, the goal is to avoid that tank and regression, and make a switch in anticipation before it happens. I thought maybe a half week deload in combination with that would help seperate the old from the new setup block to block but also not be so long aka a full week of no progression.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GoldenEraPhysiq View Post
    Yeah I completely understand it going to be individual, I should have added that into my "it depends" bit at the end. Wow it almost makes this a pointless thread hahah, but i'll try give you some background....

I havent trialed this system long enough to answer your question completely relevant to this current setup, but from previous things of a similar style I know that I can usually push progression for about 4 weeks and then my lifts tank and regress and I need to drop fatigue and start over. Thats what has worked before. This time around since Im gonna change some lifts and change my rep ranges on my big lifts every 3-4 weeks, the goal is to avoid that tank and regression, and make a switch in anticipation before it happens. I thought maybe a half week deload in combination with that would help seperate the old from the new setup block to block but also not be so long aka a full week of no progression.
    If you find you can only push hard and make consistent progress for 3-4 weeks then it sounds like at that mark is when you need to include a recovery period in there so you don't get burnt out. A couple ways to go about this here. You could do a regular deload or take a couple days off and then restart. You could also continue with your regular training plan but maybe back off the volume slightly and stick to higher rep range sets (like 10-12). Work with a weight that you normally would use for 10-12 rep sets or even 8-12 but don't do any real heavy lower rep sets. Give yourself a break from the heavy weight. Call that a deload if you want, everybody sets up their deloads differently. But essentially all you are doing is not pushing any heavy rep sets, but you're still following your regular training plan without real heavy sets. Not sure how heavy you actually go and what rep ranges you are working with.

You may find it changes overtime too. Right now you may need some sort of recovery break at the 3-4 week mark but down the road it could change and you may find you go longer before needing a break.
    Last edited by health4life24; 05-01-2020 at 05:52 AM.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP, as mentioned above - it depends. There's no one answer on when or how to deload, or whether to deload at all. Based on what you said, try the half-week deload (however you do it) for a couple of cycles, see how you feel - and if you feel it's not enough, do a full week.

I find half-week deloads tend to happen naturally every so often due to life, and don't need to be scheduled.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    OP, as mentioned above - it depends. There's no one answer on when or how to deload, or whether to deload at all. Based on what you said, try the half-week deload (however you do it) for a couple of cycles, see how you feel - and if you feel it's not enough, do a full week.

I find half-week deloads tend to happen naturally every so often due to life, and don't need to be scheduled.
    Thanks, I was just thinking more along the lines of.... is half a week long enough for fatigue to dissipate, vs a full week it seems better as its less time spent away from stimulating sets and progression, but then I guess it depends on how much fatigue there is... so its also a fairly pointless question and I already know the responsible answer to it... but never the less I thought id start a discussion.

Originally Posted by GoldenEraPhysiq View Post
    Thanks, I was just thinking more along the lines of.... is half a week long enough for fatigue to dissipate, vs a full week it seems better as its less time spent away from stimulating sets and progression, but then I guess it depends on how much fatigue there is... so its also a fairly pointless question and I already know the responsible answer to it... but never the less I thought id start a discussion.
    I know you probably realize this, but nobody really knows whether a half week is sufficient enough for your recovery. It largely depends on you figuring out what works for you and helps you recover and continue to make consistent progress.

Try things out. Figure out what works.