PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lockdown program for stubborn fat?

Hello all.

I'm a 31 year old guy, 5' 9" tall, 73.3 kg this morning (fasted).

I started working out in March 2019, when I had hit 100 kgs. A regular gym schedule (6x weekly, bro split mostly) and a consistent calorific deficit helped me drop down to 79 kgs by March 2020, when lockdown kicked in here.

Through lockdown, I've been working with an antagonistic split, 6x weekly, with a pair of 10 kg dumbbells, a 25 kg eqv resistance band, and of course, basic bodyweight moves. I've also added an interval running session on a daily basis to make up for the reduced intensity of my workouts, and stuck to the calorific deficit. It helped me shed down to my current weight quite rapidly - which I guess is cardio induced?

I'm now looking to shake things up a bit. Considering my body type - check out the attachment - an ideal result would be the magical disappearance of the loose fat around my outer chest, sides, and belly, and their replacement with respectable pecs and a flat stomach (to start with, at least). What workout programs would you point me at? While I think I should lose a few more kgs still, feel free to counsel.

Just FYI, trialling a little more intense routine this week. An HIIT + compound move + planks circuit for the mornings, and a 5k interval run + 2.5k walk in the evenings. Definitely boosted the weight loss a bit, but I suppose that's a temporary kick...
    Attached Images

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I wouldn't worry about trying to lose the last few pounds of fat. Instead I'd try to pack on more muscle. Try one of the programs in the stickies up there ^^^. Fierce 5, All Pro. They have dumb bell versions of the programs.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You started at about 100Kg

"...a consistent calorific deficit helped me drop down to 79 kgs by March 2020, when lockdown kicked in here..."

Then on April 29th you weigh 73.3, and you're doing lots of exercise.

I think I need to read Your post to remind me to be more careful with my diet. What advice do you need from us? You're making fantastic progress. Keep on doing what you're doing!

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Given the weight loss and looking at your pics, I think much of your 'stubborn fat' is actually loose skin. Great job with the weight loss! I think focusing on building muscle now would probably be the best course of action.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181179323&p=1658333353#post1658333353

Height: 185cm (6'1")
    Weight: 79.3kg (175lb)

Personal best lifts
    Bench - 6 x 65kg (143lb), 8 x 62.5kg (138lb)
    Bent Over Row - 10 x 70kg (154lb)
    Front squat - 5 x 67.5kg (149lb)
    Back squat - 1 x 95kg (209lb), 8 x 77.5kg (171lb)
    RDL - 9 x 87.5kg (193lb)
    Deadlift - 6 x 107.5kg (237lb)
    Overhead Press - 6 x 40kg (88lb)
    Chin Ups - 7 x bodyweight + 12.5kg (27.5lb), 14 x b.weight

PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    You started at about 100Kg

"...a consistent calorific deficit helped me drop down to 79 kgs by March 2020, when lockdown kicked in here..."

Then on April 29th you weigh 73.3, and you're doing lots of exercise.

I think I need to read Your post to remind me to be more careful with my diet. What advice do you need from us? You're making fantastic progress. Keep on doing what you're doing!
    Thanks man - you made me feel a whole lot better about what I'm trying to do here.

Just struggling with my impatience toward not having a more toned appearance yet. In due time, I hope!

Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    Given the weight loss and looking at your pics, I think much of your 'stubborn fat' is actually loose skin. Great job with the weight loss! I think focusing on building muscle now would probably be the best course of action.
    Thanks!

Will building muscle over a leaner frame be better though? The loose bits are pretty substantial, and feel more fat than skin, IMO. But I have no frame of reference, and I'm no expert...

I had thought of working toward a 65ish kilo mark before considering a bulking, earlier, but that's just me thinking.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PG89 View Post
    Thanks!

Will building muscle over a leaner frame be better though? The loose bits are pretty substantial, and feel more fat than skin, IMO. But I have no frame of reference, and I'm no expert...

I had thought of working toward a 65ish kilo mark before considering a bulking, earlier, but that's just me thinking.
    I'm no expert either and I've never had to deal with loose skin. I'm sure you're right and you have some fat to loose too, but it doesn't look like much to me. I expect you will be happier with your physique with some more muscle mass that will help to fill out any loose skin. You could certainly try to get a bit leaner first, but if you aren't getting sufficient protein, you're likely to loose muscle and look worse for it.

Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    I'm no expert either and I've never had to deal with loose skin. I'm sure you're right and you have some fat to loose too, but it doesn't look like much to me. I expect you will be happier with your physique with some more muscle mass that will help to fill out any loose skin. You could certainly try to get a bit leaner first, but if you aren't getting sufficient protein, you're likely to loose muscle and look worse for it.
    Makes sense. I can probably start trialling a transitional routine and see how that works out. Thanks!

Checking in again after a month, folks!

So I hit 69.8 kgs last week. I eventually scaled back on running and maintained 6x weekly full body dumbbell workouts + daily 10k step walks + calorific deficit. Waist went down 3 cms, hips by 2 cms, chest by 1 cm, and biceps by 0.5 cms. Strength did pick up for sure - I can now manage short arm balances. Taking everyone's advice, I transitioned to a new routine beginning 1 June.

For workouts, I'm now doing a 5x weekly dumbbell workout I dug out online. Attaching the PDF here. Have upped the rep counts across the board to match my abilities better, and it seems to be triggering healthy levels of soreness. Still sticking to the 10k step walk. Also procured a kitchen scale to measure my food, and so far sticking to the 1800-2000 calories a day level, with 1.5g+ per kg of bodyweight of protein, and also started creatine. Weight has picked up a bit over the week - i'm hovering at the 71.5kg mark now, but maybe that's also a temporary creatine spike.

Currently looking like the attached picture.

Follow up questions:

1. Do you notice any recomp, superficially?

2. Any suggestions on the new routine? Do keep in mind that my current goal is to simply look good naked.

Gyms are still shut here, but I am trying to order some more weights, in the meanwhile.

Cheers!
    Attached Images
    Attached Files