Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,315
    Rep Power: 16647
    safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    safcpaul is offline

    Cost effective way to make home gym in garden

    Hi all im currently working out at home obviously with coronavirus and im making use of the limited space in my house as its small. My wife is due to give birth end of may and im not really going to have room to continue working out in the house but i prefer working out at home as i can just get up early in the morning and do a workout. I do however have a big garden which i could utilise. Any ideas on a cost effective way to make a gym in the garden? Ive been thinking of getting a canopy and putting my equipment... Squat rack, bench and weights underneath but with living in england it would be freezing cold in the winter. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Greybird2's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Posts: 1,166
    Rep Power: 2820
    Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Greybird2 is offline
    Rent a heated storage unit?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 59
    Posts: 2,883
    Rep Power: 19224
    gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    Hi all im currently working out at home obviously with coronavirus and im making use of the limited space in my house as its small. My wife is due to give birth end of may and im not really going to have room to continue working out in the house but i prefer working out at home as i can just get up early in the morning and do a workout. I do however have a big garden which i could utilise. Any ideas on a cost effective way to make a gym in the garden? Ive been thinking of getting a canopy and putting my equipment... Squat rack, bench and weights underneath but with living in england it would be freezing cold in the winter. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    I also live in the UK, given our climate I don't think a simple canopy will cut the mustard, ideally you'd need to consider some form of enclosed structure.

    I don't know whether you're handy enough to build it yourself, but a large enough garden shed may suffice.

    I have a timber engineered building, my background is in construction, so I was able to do the vast majority of the work myself, I started out with a very modest building of just over 100 square feet, enough room for a rack, bench and lat/low row machine, my gym has now evolved into a much larger structure, 600 square feet, pretty much a mini commercial gym.

    For a rack and bench set up, 4mx2.5m should provide enough room, with a pre fabricated building, height may be the only issue.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,315
    Rep Power: 16647
    safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    safcpaul is offline
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I also live in the UK, given our climate I don't think a simple canopy will cut the mustard, ideally you'd need to consider some form of enclosed structure.

    I don't know whether you're handy enough to build it yourself, but a large enough garden shed may suffice.

    I have a timber engineered building, my background is in construction, so I was able to do the vast majority of the work myself, I started out with a very modest building of just over 100 square feet, enough room for a rack, bench and lat/low row machine, my gym has now evolved into a much larger structure, 600 square feet, pretty much a mini commercial gym.

    For a rack and bench set up, 4mx2.5m should provide enough room, with a pre fabricated building, height may be the only issue.
    I wish i took a trade like construction haha very handy trade to know. The guy who has done alot of work on my house will probably build a shed for me and do it fairly cheaply if i ask him... Do you have a rough estimate on the cost of the materials to build 4m x 2.5m shed that is about 7-8 feet tall?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,315
    Rep Power: 16647
    safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    safcpaul is offline
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Rent a heated storage unit?
    Can you rent them to put in your garden?
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User rpark's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: United States
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,670
    Rep Power: 8285
    rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    rpark is offline
    Saw this guy on the local news..... built his own log gym....

    https://www.facebook.com/10000923366...6693483648415/
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,315
    Rep Power: 16647
    safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    safcpaul is offline
    Originally Posted by rpark View Post
    Saw this guy on the local news..... built his own log gym....

    https://www.facebook.com/10000923366...6693483648415/
    That's crazy how he done that haha
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User urbanlifter's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,654
    Rep Power: 23482
    urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    urbanlifter is offline
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    Any ideas on a cost effective way to make a gym in the garden?
    Step #1: Tell the wife you need a shed more than a garden.

    Step #2: Pave over the garden, and build a shed (heated preferably).

    Step #3: Buy a power rack, 300lb weight set, and a bench.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 59
    Posts: 2,883
    Rep Power: 19224
    gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    I wish i took a trade like construction haha very handy trade to know. The guy who has done alot of work on my house will probably build a shed for me and do it fairly cheaply if i ask him... Do you have a rough estimate on the cost of the materials to build 4m x 2.5m shed that is about 7-8 feet tall?

    Well that's a difficult question, the building would need some form of base/floor, if you already have a level concrete area it may be good enough.

    These are very rough estimates, base either concrete or timber, £80, 100mmx50mm treated timber studding, you would need about 40 lengths @ 2.4m long, approximately 100 linear metres, £65, wall cladding 28 square metres, depending on the cladding material, between, £8-£20 per sq metre, door and frame, £150, roofing sheets/material and fixings £100.

    That's just for a very basic structure, on my gym I also used a vapour barrier under my cladding and have the wall and roof insulated, all the internal walls are lined with either Slat storage panels or plywood.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,315
    Rep Power: 16647
    safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    safcpaul is offline

    Wink

    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Step #1: Tell the wife you need a shed more than a garden.

    Step #2: Pave over the garden, and build a shed (heated preferably).

    Step #3: Buy a power rack, 300lb weight set, and a bench.
    I told her step 1 now i live in the garden haha
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1,315
    Rep Power: 16647
    safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) safcpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    safcpaul is offline

    Smile

    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Well that's a difficult question, the building would need some form of base/floor, if you already have a level concrete area it may be good enough.

    These are very rough estimates, base either concrete or timber, £80, 100mmx50mm treated timber studding, you would need about 40 lengths @ 2.4m long, approximately 100 linear metres, £65, wall cladding 28 square metres, depending on the cladding material, between, £8-£20 per sq metre, door and frame, £150, roofing sheets/material and fixings £100.

    That's just for a very basic structure, on my gym I also used a vapour barrier under my cladding and have the wall and roof insulated, all the internal walls are lined with either Slat storage panels or plywood.
    Ive got a level concrete area which i think would suffice. It sounds affordable and will give me what i want. Thanks for the advice and the detailed response, i appreciate it mate
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User Rottweiler59's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 31
    Posts: 242
    Rep Power: 662
    Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Rottweiler59 is offline
    I have a 15x10 shed summer house that a company in Birmingham UK fitted for me for 1200£
    I just had to do the base myself.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User Rottweiler59's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 31
    Posts: 242
    Rep Power: 662
    Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Rottweiler59 is offline
    I also agree with gym Richard about canopies etc. For a while I tried to use a fabric gazebo like a mRket stall type that I bought cheap. Ended up getting damaged due to rain build up. Just didn’t make it enjoyable to train at all. Get at least a shed. A 12x8 would work for a half rack barbell plates bench and some power block bells.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts