Reply
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline

    Diet critique and weight loss stall

    Hi guys, hope you are all well.

    I’ve currently been cutting for 5 weeks.

    Weighing myself every 2 weeks.

    All was going good until today where I have lost no weight ( on the scale ) in the last 2 weeks.

    I have started taking creatine and have read it could be water weight from that.

    I’m hoping I can keep my diet as it as as I don’t have any trouble at all sticking with it and never fee hungry.

    Please let me know what you think.

    Currently 198lbs looking to get down to 180 for now and will then re-evaluate.

    Breakfast
    30g oats - 250 cals , 10g protein
    Protein shake 1 scoop - approx 105 - 21g prot

    Lunch
    Tuna - approx 100 cals , 23g protein
    2 whole eggs - approx 150 Cals - 12g protein

    3 scoops protein - 315 cals - 63g protein


    Tea
    Meat - 200g
    ( 200g chicken breast = 340 cals - 60g pro )
    Veg - 100g - 100 cals
    Potato 200g - 150 cals

    Total cals - approx 1510 cals
    Total protein - approx 190g

    I know my protein shake intake is quite high which I’ll be looking at changing but it’s a start.

    Work out 3 days a week, and do cardio the other 4 days ( rowing machine )

    Thanks very much guys, have a good day !
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Lets say your weight can vary but 1-2 lbs a day due to water weight shifts.

    What if your weight was 2lbs below where it should be 2 weeks ago when you weighed yourself...

    And your weight was 2lbs above where it should be today when you weighed yourself...

    Can you see the issue here? It's better to weigh yourself every day. Yes, there will be variation but you should be able to see a trend in the 'noise' over a long enough period of time. Unfortunately we can't do that with so little data now. Ask any statistician, they will always prefer more data not less.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    SuffolkPunch, thanks very much for that info mate. I will take that into consideration going forward.

    I was just a bit surprised this morning when jumping on the scales as after sticking exactly to the diet I hadn’t budged at all from 2 weeks ago.

    I thought maybe it’s my diet, but I really can’t see it been that as if anything I’m probably a little on the low side for my size I’m guessing ?

    Thanks again for the information and advice


    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Lets say your weight can vary but 1-2 lbs a day due to water weight shifts.

    What if your weight was 2lbs below where it should be 2 weeks ago when you weighed yourself...

    And your weight was 2lbs above where it should be today when you weighed yourself...

    Can you see the issue here? It's better to weigh yourself every day. Yes, there will be variation but you should be able to see a trend in the 'noise' over a long enough period of time. Unfortunately we can't do that with so little data now. Ask any statistician, they will always prefer more data not less.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    If you weigh yourself every day from here on, hopefully you'll see a drop in weight soon - this will tell us if it's just retained water weight or not.

    if that doesn't happen then we'll need to look at the accuracy of your calorie counting. It's a very common issue but you really should be losing weight at a genuine 1500 calories a day.

    Have you felt hungry most of the time over the last 2 weeks?
    Do you think you look visibly leaner in the mirror?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Thanks again for the quick reply mate.

    I will start weighing myself every morning and see how it fluctuates.

    I am very rarely hungry to be honest. I’m not a big eater anyway, the reason I put on a lot of weight in the first place was lifestyle and work.

    Eating fast food for convenience, going to the pub After work etc....

    I’ve stuck to the above diet for 5 weeks consistently, no cheat meals or cheat days, exactly as above for a full 5 weeks.

    Started at over 210lbs, now down to 198

    I’m definitely leaner, I can tell a huge difference to be honest, but I’m still nowhere near where I want to be. I’d say probably 20-25% bf at the moment from looking at photos on this site.

    Do I need to change my diet up or is it a myth that my body will get used to what I’m eating ?

    I’m hoping I can keep it as it is as I find it quite easy to stick to and have got into a good routine with it.

    My lifts are also going up in the gym which I’m happy with.

    I also drink between 2-3L of water a day

    Thanks again 👍

    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    If you weigh yourself every day from here on, hopefully you'll see a drop in weight soon - this will tell us if it's just retained water weight or not.

    if that doesn't happen then we'll need to look at the accuracy of your calorie counting. It's a very common issue but you really should be losing weight at a genuine 1500 calories a day.

    Have you felt hungry most of the time over the last 2 weeks?
    Do you think you look visibly leaner in the mirror?
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    It sounds like it's going fine. No need to change anything. It might get a little harder in terms of appetite as you get leaner but based on everything you've said, I am pretty sure the weighing issue is just water weight.

    You will burn slightly less as you get lighter but it's not a profound difference and it won't make fat loss stop abruptly when it was going fine before.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Thanks again Suffolk.

    I’ll update in a weeks time and see how I’m progressing.


    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It sounds like it's going fine. No need to change anything. It might get a little harder in terms of appetite as you get leaner but based on everything you've said, I am pretty sure the weighing issue is just water weight.

    You will burn slightly less as you get lighter but it's not a profound difference and it won't make fat loss stop abruptly when it was going fine before.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Just another quick one if you don’t mind.

    As said above, I’m drinking 2L of water a day.

    Should I be drinking More ? Could that amount of water be making my body hold water ?

    Should I be drinking more with been on creatine ?

    Reading other topics it looks like people are consuming a gallon or more a day.

    Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated 👍
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    No need to drink lots of water, doesn't do anything beyond a certain point - and too much can actually be harmful.

    The most up to date guidelines are to have 1 glass with each meal - and then again when you feel thirsty. The only thing I would add to that is that if you sweat a lot during training, aim to replace lost weight.

    Retaining water weight is not because of drinking too much or too little, it's usually related to stress or salt/carb consumption. But don't worry about that, it's only temporary so don't alter your behaviour just to try to manage water weight.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Well guys all is good at the minute.

    Not budged from the diet for the past 6 weeks now and having no problems with craving etc....

    I have uploaded a picture to my profile.

    Could somebody estimate what bf% I am roughly at the minute please ?

    My aim is to get down to 15%, currently 190lbs

    As you can see from my stomach with the bad stretch marks I put on weight really quick after heavy drinking and binge eating for years.

    Feels good to start getting back into some sort of shape

    Thanks guys, have a good weekend !
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User mdwilson2011's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 31
    Posts: 36
    Rep Power: 0
    mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500) mdwilson2011 is not very helpful. (-500)
    mdwilson2011 is offline
    Originally Posted by matt1386 View Post
    Well guys all is good at the minute.

    Not budged from the diet for the past 6 weeks now and having no problems with craving etc....

    I have uploaded a picture to my profile.

    Could somebody estimate what bf% I am roughly at the minute please ?

    My aim is to get down to 15%, currently 190lbs

    As you can see from my stomach with the bad stretch marks I put on weight really quick after heavy drinking and binge eating for years.

    Feels good to start getting back into some sort of shape

    Thanks guys, have a good weekend !
    Hey man, congrats on the weight loss. As others have said, you're right on track as far as weight loss. It's a slow game, and the internet and TV shows like "biggest loser" have really skewed people's expectations on how fast you lose weight. Just keep going.

    As for your body fat %, I'd estimate about 30% assuming you're not unusually tall or short. If we do the math, this seems to be a pretty fair estimation. Current: 190lbs @30% bf == ~60lbs fat mass. So to get to 15%, you need to lose ~25-30lbs of fat mass, putting you around 160-165lbs. This is only an estimation, and due to the fact that you might lose a decent amount of muscle in the cutting process, you might even be in the 150s before you reach that goal.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Originally Posted by mdwilson2011 View Post
    Hey man, congrats on the weight loss. As others have said, you're right on track as far as weight loss. It's a slow game, and the internet and TV shows like "biggest loser" have really skewed people's expectations on how fast you lose weight. Just keep going.

    As for your body fat %, I'd estimate about 30% assuming you're not unusually tall or short. If we do the math, this seems to be a pretty fair estimation. Current: 190lbs @30% bf == ~60lbs fat mass. So to get to 15%, you need to lose ~25-30lbs of fat mass, putting you around 160-165lbs. This is only an estimation, and due to the fact that you might lose a decent amount of muscle in the cutting process, you might even be in the 150s before you reach that goal.

    Thanks mate. I didn’t realise how much fat I was carrying around with me !

    Small steps so I’ll aim for 180lbs now in the next month or so.

    I have a question actually about diet.

    I eat the same food day in day out, only thing I change really is having either chicken or turkey for tea. I’ve been doing this now from day 1 with no cheat meals at all.

    Would it be beneficial to have cheat meals when I’ve been in the same food for so long ?

    Does your body sort of get lazy if the food I’m eating is always the same for months or can I carry on as I am ?

    Thanks for the help bro !
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    I don't advocate 'cheat meals' when dieting. Instead just encorporate more variety - but with the same calorie content. I personally prefer to go cold turkey on treat foods which are high in calories and do not fill you up. You can never eat as much as you want to if you stay in calorie limits. And if you don't, you can easily undo 2 or 3 days of effort.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Well today was my target day which I’d set myself to get down to 180 from around 210 when I started.

    Just weighed in at 188 so missed the target but still happy with losing around 22lbs in around 8 weeks

    Next target is to get under 182 ( 13 stone ) in the next few weeks.

    Once I hit that I’ll be aiming to get down to 170 where hopefully I’ll be in a position to finish the cut and start a bulk

    Thanks for your help so far guys, it’s been very much appreciated
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User colontos's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2017
    Age: 50
    Posts: 238
    Rep Power: 3074
    colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    colontos is offline
    22 pounds in eight weeks is great progress. I would not want to go any faster than that. Sounds like you got it figured, keep it up and you'll reach your goals. You might find that, having found a rhythm, you can get leaner than you initially planned without much trouble. Keep it up bro, nice work.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Well guys I’m still here and still going.

    I’d set myself a target to be at 180 by today.

    Just weighed in at 179 so happy with that and a take out for tea tonight :-) !

    I’ve added a couple of pictures to my profile if you guys would be kind enough to take a look and give me some advice ?

    You will see my first pic on there which is from 4 weeks ago.

    What bf % would you guys estimate I’m down to now ? And how many more lbs would you estimate I need to lose to start getting rid of that belly / muffin top ?

    I’m hoping now that I’ve lost quite a bit, the more I lose from now on will be more Noticeable and will help with motivation.

    I’m going to keep going anyway, maybe aim to get under 175lbs ow by the end of the month !

    Thanks for your help guys

    All the best
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Sounds like you are doing fine. Keep going.

    I couldn't really say what your BF% is but you still have a way to go to get definition. A mistake many people make is that they think the diet phase is all there is to it - but they continue to get lighter and just look smaller without their shape changing a whole lot... This is because having enough underlying muscle in order to have a lean defined physique involves a LOT of muscle gain - and that is the part which takes the longest to achieve.

    In reality what you will need to do is
    - continue to diet but set some limit such as about 170lbs. At this point you will probably look slimmer but not the finished article.
    - do a lengthy mass gain phase, starting at maintenance but using tactical increases in calories when progress start to slow. Gain no more than 2lbs a month. This comes to an end if you start to feel uncomfortable with how 'fluffy' you are getting.
    - repeat the above 2 stages as many times as it takes...
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Morning Suffolk, thanks for your reply mate.

    Yes I’ve never really lifted before I started this cut so I had a feeling I wouldn’t look great, but I suppose fat loss at the time was my main concern and I suppose just to look healthier and in better shape with a t shirt on. Rather than a load of belly fat hanging over the pants haha !

    Ok, so I’ll aim for 170, then hopefully I’ll be back asking how to bulk as I don’t have a clue where to start with that to be honest.

    I’d just love to get rid of the belly fat area but I’m guessing I’d have to get really low in weight as I can’t see another 10lbs making that much of a difference with the amount I’m still carrying

    Thanks again for the advice 👍



    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Sounds like you are doing fine. Keep going.

    I couldn't really say what your BF% is but you still have a way to go to get definition. A mistake many people make is that they think the diet phase is all there is to it - but they continue to get lighter and just look smaller without their shape changing a whole lot... This is because having enough underlying muscle in order to have a lean defined physique involves a LOT of muscle gain - and that is the part which takes the longest to achieve.

    In reality what you will need to do is
    - continue to diet but set some limit such as about 170lbs. At this point you will probably look slimmer but not the finished article.
    - do a lengthy mass gain phase, starting at maintenance but using tactical increases in calories when progress start to slow. Gain no more than 2lbs a month. This comes to an end if you start to feel uncomfortable with how 'fluffy' you are getting.
    - repeat the above 2 stages as many times as it takes...
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 50,270
    Rep Power: 1293090
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    No problem. Just as a preview, mass gain is no different to dieting in the sense that
    - you should be doing weight training in both cases and aiming to progressively overload
    - you should be getting enough protein intake in both cases (1.6g per kg of lean body mass is recommended - but this is a broad recommendation and doesn't have to be precise)

    The main difference is calories ... you will have an idea of your maintenance calorie intake based on weight changes vs. what you have been consuming during your diet phase. So you can just adjust up to maintenance (some weight gain will occur from water and glycogen - give it time for that to settle) and take it from there.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Well I’m still here guys and still going.

    Down to 173 now as of this morning.

    Still feel like I’ve got a load of fat to shift, especially around the mid section. Not sure wether to go for 160 ?

    Started to struggle a little over the last few weeks, cravings getting quite bad, and energy seems quite low especially when at the gym, but still going.

    I’ve uploaded another pic to body space

    Hope all is well with you guys
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User AlexSays's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 27
    Posts: 760
    Rep Power: 7373
    AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    AlexSays is offline
    Looking good, can see progress, looks like you're maybe 18% bodyfat in that one at a VERY rough estimate. I feel this post has become something of a fat loss log, maybe it's worth starting one if you're planning on cutting further?

    If it were me I would say maybe lose 5-6 more lb before you start a careful muscle gain phase. Going beyond that at your level of development becomes a little like flogging a dead horse hoping it will become more defined. If you are as disciplined with your surplus (keeping it to within 200-300 calories) as you are with your deficit you should see good results without much gain in fat.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User matt1386's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt1386 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt1386 is offline
    Hi Alex, thanks for your reply and input mate, it’s much appreciated.

    Yes could the mods move this to the fat loss log section if possible please ?

    I understand what you are saying, I’ve got very little muscle so the lower I keep going there’s going to be a point where I look pretty crap lol !

    I suppose the good thing is from where I started to where I am now, is the more lbs I lose, the more noticeable it now becomes.

    I’m sure it’s the same for everyone who started at my weight, the mid section is a nightmare to get rid of ! That’s my main concern really.

    But maybe I’m always going to feel fat in that area due to lack of muscle.

    Maybe by the end of July I’ll be ready to start a bulk :-)

    Thanks again

    Matt

    Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    Looking good, can see progress, looks like you're maybe 18% bodyfat in that one at a VERY rough estimate. I feel this post has become something of a fat loss log, maybe it's worth starting one if you're planning on cutting further?

    If it were me I would say maybe lose 5-6 more lb before you start a careful muscle gain phase. Going beyond that at your level of development becomes a little like flogging a dead horse hoping it will become more defined. If you are as disciplined with your surplus (keeping it to within 200-300 calories) as you are with your deficit you should see good results without much gain in fat.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User AlexSays's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 27
    Posts: 760
    Rep Power: 7373
    AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    AlexSays is offline
    Originally Posted by matt1386 View Post
    Hi Alex, thanks for your reply and input mate, it’s much appreciated.

    Yes could the mods move this to the fat loss log section if possible please ?

    I understand what you are saying, I’ve got very little muscle so the lower I keep going there’s going to be a point where I look pretty crap lol !

    I suppose the good thing is from where I started to where I am now, is the more lbs I lose, the more noticeable it now becomes.

    I’m sure it’s the same for everyone who started at my weight, the mid section is a nightmare to get rid of ! That’s my main concern really.

    But maybe I’m always going to feel fat in that area due to lack of muscle.

    Maybe by the end of July I’ll be ready to start a bulk :-)

    Thanks again

    Matt
    True that, my first serious cut I was flabergasted that underneath the fat was basically f*ck all. I was just becoming skinny rather than staying the same size but with better definition. It takes a few real mass gain phases to start to love yourself lean so I'd jump on that as soon as you're down to a bodyfat you don't hate yourself at!

    EDIT: also don't hate yourself
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts