Registered User powermindset333's Avatar
    powermindset333 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Iodine supplementation hugely improved my testosterone

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in any of the following, nor is any of this intended as medical advice. This is just me sharing an exciting discovery.

Recently at age 50 my sleep quality and testosterone levels were good, but hugely improved when I started iodine supplementation. I was truly amazed, it felt like returning to my peak teenage years! Apparently this made a big impact on my hormonal health.

Before starting, I read a lot of published information and studies about potential health benefits and safety of dosage. I highly recommend the book "Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It" by Dr. David Brownstein, available on his website. He has 20+ years of clinical practice in Michigan with a focus on a holistic medicine. Many of his related talks and interviews over the years are available on youtube by searching: brownstein iodine.

For an inexpensive source of iodine, I purchased pharmaceutical grade potassium iodide crystals from CarolinaChemical. Their 100 gram size bag is enough to last me 17 years at 12 mg iodine per day. The product was manufactured by SQM, an established chemical company in Chile which is the largest global producer of iodine.

To make an iodine solution, add 1/8th US teaspoon of potassium iodide crystals (just scooped and leveled off, not packed down, 940-1030 mg on my Weighmax CT20 milligram scale) into 16 US fluid ounces purified water at room temperature in a labeled jar with lid. Stir until the crystals are dissolved. Store the solution in a dark location at room temperature.

1000 mg potassium iodide crystals * 0.7645 (76.45% iodine by weight) = 764.5 mg iodine, divided by 64 (16 US fluid ounces water contains 64 doses, each 1/2 US tablespoon) = 12 mg iodine dose

A 1/2 US tablespoon of the solution contains 12 mg iodine. In their research Dr. Guy. E. Abraham and associates found that daily dose is enough for most healthy adults to achieve optimal iodine levels throughout the body, with many observed health benefits in patients. Also many traditional Japanese were estimated to consume a similar high amount of iodine at 13.8 mg/day (mostly from seaweed), and known for unusually high life expectancy with low rates of cancer.

I gradually worked up to a daily dosage of 12 mg iodine. I read that if suddenly taking high amounts of iodine, some people experience temporary side effects as iodine helps the body excrete toxic bromide, fluoride, perchlorate, etc.

Included in my daily supplementation are the following which Dr. Brownstein recommends to help the body more efficiently utilize higher amounts of iodine: vitamin B complex, magnesium citrate 600 mg, zinc 30 mg, selenium 200 mcg. Selenium is especially important for thyroid health. I had already been using the Vitacost brand of those supplements for many years, so they were not responsible for the recent increase in testosterone.
    Last edited by powermindset333; 05-28-2020 at 02:36 PM.

eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you sure it wasn't your thyroid?
    My secret? Texting between sets.

Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    you sure it wasn't your thyroid?
    That's an excellent question. I've always had good health with thyroid within range in annual blood tests. I've been lifting weights regularly for the past 15 years and never used any drugs.

My guess is that the iodine flushed out toxic halogens.

An excerpt from "Iodine Increases Testosterone and Leydig Cell Functionality" By Robert Clark:

"One of the receptors that stores halogens in your body is the “leydig cells” in your testicles.

Leydig cells are responsible for producing testosterone and because iodine and toxic halogens fight for these same receptors and our bodies are under constant attack from toxic halogens, your leydig cells may be compromised and corrupted.

Because iodine can bind to and force excretion of these toxic halogens and in some cases, is the only way to flush them out, iodine may directly improve your leydig cell functionality, therefore increasing your testosterone production."

ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000) ChaliHo is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are playing a dangerous game. Iodine supplementation can be seriously overdone. Why not just add a bit of iodized salt to the food you cook? or eat seaweed.
    Always try to be positive and help others

Originally Posted by ChaliHo View Post
    You are playing a dangerous game. Iodine supplementation can be seriously overdone. Why not just add a bit of iodized salt to the food you cook? or eat seaweed.
    I genuinely appreciate the concern and always used to believe the same thing, that anything above the RDA for iodine was dangerous.

Then I came across the publications and modern research by Dr. David Brownstein, Dr. Guy Abraham, and other physicians involved in iodine research and clinical studies. They have consistently found higher amounts of iodine supplementation to be very safe in 10,000+ people that they and other physicians have tested.

For anyone who is interested, check out Dr. Brownstein's youtube talks or his iodine book (a brief internet search will turn up a PDF copy if you want to preview it). Optimox has published 22 free PDFs of Dr. Abraham's iodine research, including studies #1 and #2 loaded with helpful general information.

None of this is intended as medical advice, just sharing my personal experience and mentioning some online resources.

adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adeptive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by powermindset333 View Post
    Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in any of the following, nor is any of this intended as medical advice. This is just me sharing an exciting discovery.

Recently at age 50 my sleep quality and testosterone levels were good, but hugely improved when I started iodine supplementation. I was truly amazed, it felt like returning to my peak teenage years! Apparently this made a big impact on my hormonal health.

Before starting, I read a lot of published information and studies about potential health benefits and safety of dosage. I highly recommend the book "Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It" by Dr. David Brownstein, available on his website. He has 20+ years of clinical practice in Michigan with a focus on a holistic medicine. Many of his related talks and interviews over the years are available on youtube by searching: brownstein iodine.

For an inexpensive source of iodine, I purchased pharmaceutical grade potassium iodide crystals from CarolinaChemical. Their 100 gram size bag is enough to last me 17 years at 12 mg iodine per day. The product was manufactured by SQM, an established chemical company in Chile which is the largest global producer of iodine.

To make an iodine solution, add 1/8th US teaspoon of potassium iodide crystals (just scooped and leveled off, not packed down, 940-1030 mg on my Weighmax CT20 milligram scale) into 16 US fluid ounces purified water at room temperature in a labeled jar with lid. Stir until the crystals are dissolved. Store the solution in a dark location at room temperature.

1000 mg potassium iodide crystals * 0.7645 (76.45% iodine by weight) = 764.5 mg iodine, divided by 64 (16 US fluid ounces water contains 64 doses, each 1/2 US tablespoon) = 12 mg iodine dose

A 1/2 US tablespoon of the solution contains 12 mg iodine. In their research Dr. Guy. E. Abraham and associates found that daily dose is enough for most healthy adults to achieve optimal iodine levels throughout the body, with many observed health benefits in patients. Also many traditional Japanese were estimated to consume a similar high amount of iodine at 13.8 mg/day (mostly from seaweed), and known for unusually high life expectancy with low rates of cancer.

I gradually worked up to a daily dosage of 12 mg iodine. I read that if suddenly taking high amounts of iodine, some people experience temporary side effects as iodine helps the body excrete toxic bromide, fluoride, perchlorate, etc.

Included in my daily supplementation are the following which Dr. Brownstein recommends to help the body more efficiently utilize higher amounts of iodine: vitamin B complex, magnesium citrate 600 mg, zinc 30 mg, selenium 200 mcg. Selenium is especially important for thyroid health. I had already been using the Vitacost brand of those supplements for many years, so they were not responsible for the recent increase in testosterone.
    What was testosterone before and after? What about total vs. free? SHBG? Estradiol? Cortisol? Etc.