Thread: New But Lurked

Bear317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New But Lurked

Hey guys! Bear here. 317 in my handle is my weight as of starting this account on here.

i am 5ft9in, started at 509 pounds 3 years ago. I have type2 diabetes, high bp, mobility problems with my left thigh/hip since I fell down last summer, dr said I was fine but need to work on mobility and losing weight.

All Id done was cut out soda, sugary processed drinks. only drink water with cucumber slices or blended into my water. At dinner gatherings I dont normally drink alcohol or soda, but I sometimes will have a diet coke. but thats once in a blue moon. I dont eat fast food except for Salad and Go a local place in AZ.

recently my hands have begun to hurt, not as dexterous as I used to be, now at 35. Ive spent my whole life working, when I was young always up to pick strawberries, grapes, etc. A few years ago a very good friend took his own life, followed by my brother in law, and then my grammy who raised a majority of us so our parents could work 2+ jobs, passed away.

Fast forward to now, a few family members in the Philippines, and here stateside have passed while working in Healthcare as Nurses, and Doctors. My last employer saw how standing all day took its toll on my back and legs/feet. he said with current events with diabetes, high bp, im very suscept to getting sick. so he said he was letting me go. my wife was actually happy about it, she said I can work out at home now. no more excuses. all Ive done is walking and mindful of my diet, portions, and quality of food. over the last 3 years of just diet change and walking for a few minutes between activities, or riding bicycle.

Now a few folks in our neighborhood got sick not adhering to SD. So now my wife is forcing me to stay inside. She is in LE and considered essential so she said I can return to seeking an education as Ive always wanted to go to college... I Know I know silly...

but after group phone sessions with family, weve lost so many family here in the states, up in canada, out on philippines, vietnam, soko, etc..

A few begged me to lose more weight. They said with the down time I can do it.

Going to the gym is out of question for me, and most of the places I was looking to buy equipment from are completely sold out.

Can anyone recommend a bench like rogue fitness that can withstand a heavy guy like me and weights?

Rogue Bicycle or something as tough?

I loved the ropes Id sometimes play with at the gym. I miss being able to just use elliptical and arc machines, hips didnt hurt, ankles. Anyone know where I may find them?

I cant do pushups yet, but got these great rubber bands I can attach to my trucks tube rails and do air punching which after 10-15 minutes gets me winded! My shins always hurt terribly after I do jumping jacks, leg lifts, try to jog or run.

Does anyone here grow their own food, or a good portion of it? What do you grow?

I have a fair bit of excess skin, doesnt look like it, but if I pull, you can tell I was much much more grande anyone else have excess skin how do you exercise with out it all flapping everywhere? any tips?

Lastly anyone suggest good walking shoes for an obese guy like me? it hurts right now, my shins, and I cant leave our house, but I can walk the exterior of the backyard!

I am in an arid env, AZ. So trying to figure stuff out carefully!

Anyways thanks for reading! I have looked around before, but now I think Ill push the envelope a little more now that I have free time. I dont have any equipment so id like to get some. my wife has rogue equipment at her Dpt. so she doesnt have to workout at home.

Any help in pointing me to good equipment that can last a heavy guy like me using em would be appreciated! We have an empty garage, so its a great time for me to start looking!

Thanks again guys, and Im happy to be here! any advice would be appreciated.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You've addressed too many things in a single post, which is why nobody has responded.

You need to start with the most important thing, which is just eating less. It takes A LOT of calories to maintain 300+ lbs, if you cut your daily intake down to a more respectable level of probably around 2500 then the weight will likely start coming off. You need a food scale and a calorie counting app to help you out.

Go back 1 page, read the Dont Look Past the Basics sticky at the top. Then read this one: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isatonmynuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Bear. I will put my responses to your questions in italics, as xquid99 mentioned, you raised a lot of points.

Originally Posted by Bear317 View Post
    Hey guys! Bear here. 317 in my handle is my weight as of starting this account on here.

i am 5ft9in, started at 509 pounds 3 years ago. I have type2 diabetes, high bp, mobility problems with my left thigh/hip since I fell down last summer, dr said I was fine but need to work on mobility and losing weight.

Good job on the weight loss so far. Has your doctor talked to you about doing any physical therapy for your injury?

All Id done was cut out soda, sugary processed drinks. only drink water with cucumber slices or blended into my water. At dinner gatherings I dont normally drink alcohol or soda, but I sometimes will have a diet coke. but thats once in a blue moon. I dont eat fast food except for Salad and Go a local place in AZ.

Cutting soda is HUGE. I was once up to 420lbs and I think the only reason I got below it was cutting out soda.

recently my hands have begun to hurt, not as dexterous as I used to be, now at 35. Ive spent my whole life working, when I was young always up to pick strawberries, grapes, etc. A few years ago a very good friend took his own life, followed by my brother in law, and then my grammy who raised a majority of us so our parents could work 2+ jobs, passed away.

Damn, that's a lot of trauma both physically and mentally. A lot of weight loss and fitness is your mental attitude. Do you think you might benefit from psychotherapy? I know there's a stigma attached to it, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have a mental illness, and it could really help you.

Fast forward to now, a few family members in the Philippines, and here stateside have passed while working in Healthcare as Nurses, and Doctors. My last employer saw how standing all day took its toll on my back and legs/feet. he said with current events with diabetes, high bp, im very suscept to getting sick. so he said he was letting me go. my wife was actually happy about it, she said I can work out at home now. no more excuses. all Ive done is walking and mindful of my diet, portions, and quality of food. over the last 3 years of just diet change and walking for a few minutes between activities, or riding bicycle.

It's great you have a supportive wife! That must have been tough to be let go, but like she is saying, look at the positive side of it and see that you have more time to focus on your health now.

Now a few folks in our neighborhood got sick not adhering to SD. So now my wife is forcing me to stay inside. She is in LE and considered essential so she said I can return to seeking an education as Ive always wanted to go to college... I Know I know silly...

That's not silly at all man. Bettering yourself is never silly. Whether it's your physical fitness, or your education. One thing about going back to college, is you could take a nutrition class to help you learn more about making healthy diet choices, and as most colleges have athletic teams, there's usually access to athletic facilities too. You might not feel you're at the level to be at a gym just yet, but I thought I'd mention this as a definite advantage of going back to school.

but after group phone sessions with family, weve lost so many family here in the states, up in canada, out on philippines, vietnam, soko, etc..

A few begged me to lose more weight. They said with the down time I can do it.

That's really hard to lose that many people, and I know how that feels. It sounds like you have supportive family that care about you. Don't be afraid to ask for help from them because it sounds like they want to help.

Going to the gym is out of question for me, and most of the places I was looking to buy equipment from are completely sold out.

Have you considered going to the YMCA and using the pool? It's very low impact and just doing simple water-walking will add resistance and be easy on your joints.

It is definitely hard to come by equipment right now. I know you mentioned you already had resistance bands, but if you feel like you can't do enough with those, my best advice is to watch the stock on Amazon and places like Dicks like a hawk. I had to keep a close tab on things for like an entire week before I could find a simple set of dumbbells. Worse case scenario, you can make your own weights pretty cheaply with concrete mix. They won't be pretty but they'll get you started.

Can anyone recommend a bench like rogue fitness that can withstand a heavy guy like me and weights?

I just bought a Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max. It's rated for about 700-800 lbs and I got it for about $120 on Amazon. It can fold up for storage, and has different levels of inclination/declination.

Rogue Bicycle or something as tough?

I don't know about Rogue, but believe it or not, even a bike from a big-box store like Walmart will support you. I ride a Pacific "Strike" and I'm 377 lbs. Of course, you're probably going to wear it out if you go on any 20 mile rides, but I'm guessing that's not really in your plans. Also, if you're like me and can't ride on those skinny seats, check out the Cloud 9 over-sized seats.

I loved the ropes Id sometimes play with at the gym. I miss being able to just use elliptical and arc machines, hips didnt hurt, ankles. Anyone know where I may find them?

Sorry, I don't really know what you're talking about, but it sounds like they're just weighted ropes? I've seen similar contraptions made from bicycle inter-tubes filled with sand.

I cant do pushups yet, but got these great rubber bands I can attach to my trucks tube rails and do air punching which after 10-15 minutes gets me winded! My shins always hurt terribly after I do jumping jacks, leg lifts, try to jog or run.

Sounds like shin splints. I get those too. It's usually due to poor circulation. Are there little bulges on your legs too afterwards? Try not to push yourself with high-impact activities like those for a while.

Does anyone here grow their own food, or a good portion of it? What do you grow?

Sorry I don't, but I know a few people who do. They usually grow cucumbers, squashes, tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries, etc. Nobody I know that grows their own food seems to have any regrets, so if you're interested in it, get started. Just spending time in the garden will add to our activity level all on its own.

I have a fair bit of excess skin, doesnt look like it, but if I pull, you can tell I was much much more grande anyone else have excess skin how do you exercise with out it all flapping everywhere? any tips?

I don't have that problem but I'm guessing something like a weight-belt or a weight-suit might help? Maybe some spanx or something like that. Or even just some ace bandages wrapped around to kind of 'contain' it. Don't be afraid to get creative.

Lastly anyone suggest good walking shoes for an obese guy like me? it hurts right now, my shins, and I cant leave our house, but I can walk the exterior of the backyard!

Best thing I can suggest is get a cheap pair of shoes and a good insole like Dr. Scholls. The reason I say this is that at our weight level, if you do a lot of walking, you will bust out even well-made shoes pretty quickly, and they don't come cheap. I've been recommended Redwings but never had the money to dole out for them.

I am in an arid env, AZ. So trying to figure stuff out carefully!

Start thinking about hydration! Drink as much water as you can. The heat effects us big guys a lot more. In really warm weather, put a wetted-towel around your neck, wrap it around like a scarf. This will help cool the blood flowing from your carotid arteries and your jugular veins. Wearing a wetted t-shirt wrapped around your scalp will help a lot too by the same principle.

Anyways thanks for reading! I have looked around before, but now I think Ill push the envelope a little more now that I have free time. I dont have any equipment so id like to get some. my wife has rogue equipment at her Dpt. so she doesnt have to workout at home.

Like I said, just keep watching. The stuff will come back into stock periodically, but you'll be paying a pretty premium right now. You can get by cheaper by being creative and making your own equipment for the time being. I've heard a lot of people say the market should stabilize sometime around June, but who knows what's going to happen. Just keep in mind that if you pay more than about $.50 to $1 per pound on weights, you're overpaying. I spent about $170 on a couple of 50 lb adjustable dummbells just because I wanted to get started so I understand not wanting to weight and being willing to pay more, and if that's the case I'd suggest looking at Dicks Sporting Goods because they will notify you when they have equipment back in stock, but you've got to be QUICK because people are out there with automated bots and stuff buying up all the equipment to resell at a higher price. You say you have family overseas and abroad, maybe ask if they can get the equipment you need and could ship it; even at those cost it might be cheaper.

Any help in pointing me to good equipment that can last a heavy guy like me using em would be appreciated! We have an empty garage, so its a great time for me to start looking!

Thanks again guys, and Im happy to be here! any advice would be appreciated.
    I hope some of that helps, if you have specific questions reply back. I'm by no means an expert on weight loss and so don't feel comfortable giving too much advice specific to that, but I know a lot about being a big guy, having a skeleto-muscular injury, and suffering a lot of loss, so I feel like I can relate to you. xsquid99 has pointed you to resources that pretty much spell out everything I know, so no use in repeating it all, but if you have any questions about that I can try to answer and, what if I get something wrong, someone else smarter than me can correct.