Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why work abs 3 times a week?

Why do people (most) work abs three times a week, yet all other muscles once a week?

Is it so they don't get too big?

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Its becuase they fell for the common myth that abs are some kidn of different muscle that you can train differently.

Every day, super high amount of reps...
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    Its becuase they fell for the common myth that abs are some kidn of different muscle that you can train differently.

Every day, super high amount of reps...

uh its because it isnt a myth. And so you do know, there are different TYPES of muscles in our bodies. You can train one type a different way. Ever heard of slow twitch, fast twitch or even smooth muscle? anyways... 3 times a week still gives the muscles a chance to recover.
    I find myself always adding to the list of people who constantly piss me off.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by GIjoe
    uh its because it isnt a myth. And so you do know, there are different TYPES of muscles in our bodies. You can train one type a different way. Ever heard of slow twitch, fast twitch or even smooth muscle? anyways... 3 times a week still gives the muscles a chance to recover.
    i wpuld not do abs more than once or twice a week...

GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GIjoe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by scott_donald
    i wpuld not do abs more than once or twice a week...
    Why not? And are you doing any weighted abs? negatives? just various crunches?

the ab routine I do goes a lil something like this:

3sets crunch 30-35-40
    3sets crossover crunches 25-30-35
    3sets Knee ins 25-30-35
    3sets hanging leg raises 15-20-25
    and 2 sets negatives on a decline bench with a 10lb med ball

I have never had a 6pack until I started doing this routine 3 days a week.. You cant tell me I am doing anything wrong.. just different. but i dont buy into the fact that the abs shouldnt be trained as much as you need to, even if its every day.. do what needs to be done to get results.
    I find myself always adding to the list of people who constantly piss me off.

cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Technically speaking;
    If you were to "exercise" your abs more then once a week, for example, non weighted crunches, would your muscles react to it as more of a cardio or fitness/strength movement rather then a mass building workout?

Therefore meaning that it isn't a bad thing, but wouldn't move you forward in your purcuit of gaining size. But would have an effect on getting rid of fat.
    Women are mysteries that are better left to lesbians- Chris Barr, 2004

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated- Anonymous

Muscle is a High Water Tissue composed of 70% water, 7% lipids (fat) ,and 22% protein. Fat is made up of 22% water, 72% lipids (fat), and 6% protein.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dont; only train them once a week.
    Booo

EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by GIjoe
    All the muscles we train, biceps, chest, quads, abs, are skeletal muscles, and are therefore the SAME KIND OF MUSCLE. There's no such thing as a fast twitch muscle, or a slow twitch muscle, those are the different types of fibers within the skeletal muscle. All muscles have some fast twitch and some slow twitch fibers. I assume you already know that smooth muscle isn't a skeletal muscle, but instead the muscle type responsible for the contractility of hollow organs, such as blood vessels, the gastrointestinal tract, the bladder, or the uterus.

Anyways, we're only aiming for the hypertrophy of fast twitch fibers, since training specifically for slow twitch fibers would be both impractical and quite pointless (since slow twitch fibers are only able to hypertrophy so much).

I agree that you can train abs 3 times per ewek and still recover, but that's true of any muscle. And if you truely believe that 3x per week training is better and gives better gains, then you'd be both a hypocrite and an idiot not to train every other muscle just as frequently.

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by EAE
    All the muscles we train, biceps, chest, quads, abs, are skeletal muscles, and are therefore the SAME KIND OF MUSCLE. There's no such thing as a fast twitch muscle, or a slow twitch muscle, those are the different types of fibers within the skeletal muscle. All muscles have some fast twitch and some slow twitch fibers. I assume you already know that smooth muscle isn't a skeletal muscle, but instead the muscle type responsible for the contractility of hollow organs, such as blood vessels, the gastrointestinal tract, the bladder, or the uterus.

Anyways, we're only aiming for the hypertrophy of fast twitch fibers, since training specifically for slow twitch fibers would be both impractical and quite pointless (since slow twitch fibers are only able to hypertrophy so much).

I agree that you can train abs 3 times per ewek and still recover, but that's true of any muscle. And if you truely believe that 3x per week training is better and gives better gains, then you'd be both a hypocrite and an idiot not to train every other muscle just as frequently.
    bump, ab fibers are like any other they need to recover and won't recover faster beceaus you use them more often

abs already get trained when doing heavy compounds like squat and deadlift, if you would ad 3x a week ab training you would be overtraining fast

Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    dont; only train them once a week.
    I think that's probably best.

Also abs get used when you have to stabalise your back in squats deadlifts stiff arm pulldowns etc.