bhduck is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bar and plates Vs Bodweight / TRX

Maybe this is a dumb place to ask - but it’s a genuine question.

- For obvious reasons I’m about to convert my shed to a home gym.
    - I’m buying a full rack, bar, plates, bench... the fairly normal kit that I use in the gym.

But I’ve got to ask before I take the plunge... what if I save my money and just use equipment like a TRX, pull up bar and a decent floor mat. There are so many routines which focus on body weight exercises... what do the main compound lifts deliver that these wouldn’t?

- I’m just intermediate experience. My main gym exercises are deadlift (160kg), squat (140kg), bench press (80kg), military press (55kg).
    - my goals are primarily fat loss with muscle retention.

Cheers

George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You’ll retain and gain more muscle with weights.

Originally Posted by George2100 View Post
    You’ll retain and gain more muscle with weights.
    Thanks. It’s a simple as that? The free weights are just more effective? I’ve never used a TRX are extensive callisthenics routine so don’t have a comparison...

George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bhduck View Post
    Thanks. It’s a simple as that? The free weights are just more effective? I’ve never used a TRX are extensive callisthenics routine so don’t have a comparison...
    You can build a great physique with calisthenics alone. I did that for years, but if you want more mass, you’re eventually going to need weights.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm essentially doing your 'plan b' right now. I went from working out at a commercial gym to mostly bodyweight training at home. I did buy a power tower (pull up/dip station) and I have 1 dumbbell that goes from 10-50lb so not 100% equipment free.

The main thing you're missing with this type of workout is lack of intensity that you would get with full plates/bar/bench etc. Apart from adding weight to a belt for dips/pull ups, you're basically limited to increasing reps, which is only useful to an extent and won't match the intensity of the weight room. Probably ok short term for retaining mass (I hope), but not ideal for long-term use or hypertrophy. The more advanced you are, the harder this will be to make viable.

My plan is to ride it out this way through April and if it looks like the quarantine is going to last much longer, I will probably bite the bullet and invest in a proper home gym.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    I'm essentially doing your 'plan b' right now. I went from working out at a commercial gym to mostly bodyweight training at home. I did buy a power tower (pull up/dip station) and I have 1 dumbbell that goes from 10-50lb so not 100% equipment free.

The main thing you're missing with this type of workout is lack of intensity that you would get with full plates/bar/bench etc. Apart from adding weight to a belt for dips/pull ups, you're basically limited to increasing reps, which is only useful to an extent and won't match the intensity of the weight room. Probably ok short term for retaining mass (I hope), but not ideal for long-term use or hypertrophy. The more advanced you are, the harder this will be to make viable.

My plan is to ride it out this way through April and if it looks like the quarantine is going to last much longer, I will probably bite the bullet and invest in a proper home gym.
    Thanks. Seems like a good plan. I figure buying a home gym is painful now but worth it in the long run so I may as well just get on with doing it