Thread: Doms

ollieb3112 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Doms

Doms
    This question is going to sound stupid but here me out:
    So I do 3 ab excersises every Tuesday and Thursday they are as follows:

Tuesday
    Plank - 2m~1.5m~1m~1m~X
    Reverse crunches - 18r3s
    Leg raises -15r3s
    (X=However long I can hold it , 30 sec rest between sets and each excersise)

Thursday
    Russian twists-15r8s
    V sits- 12r3s
    Crossover crunch-12r3s
    (30 sec rest between sets and each excersise)

So most of the time I do these and I really feel the burn and for hours after I feel the muscle fatigue so I assume that I’ve done a pretty solid workout however I wake up the next day and there are no signs of DOMS or any kind of soreness or sometimes very minor almost unnoticeable aches.
    Unsurprisingly this makes me feel like the work I’ve done isn’t enough or isn’t effective so I increase reps shorten breaks and still nothing. So then one day I decided to try research it and I found a comment on a thread saying that doms can rarely be felt when the workout is contraction based , so therefore most ab excersises, then I applied it to other parts of my workout and realised that there are a lot of times where my biceps don’t ache the day after, after doing curls and various other excersises that are contraction based.
    So my question is , is this far fetched and I’m just grasping straws or is this a scientifically proven thing?
    Thank you for reading

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What muscle building exercises do you do that don't involve contracting certain muscles?

And why do you feel you need to have DOMS the next day for your workout to be effective?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    What muscle building exercises do you do that don't involve contracting certain muscles?

And why do you feel you need to have DOMS the next day for your workout to be effective?
    That’s a fair point but but when I’m working my triceps it’s mostly extension based excersises or my legs for example tricep extensions push ups and dips , then for legs , squats lunges and Bulgarian deadlift , and when doing these excersises there are always Doms the following day.

I guess I’ve always been taught that it is an indicator of progress and if you don’t have it then you haven’t worked hard enough. I have heard that you shouldn’t really use it as an indicator but because results come fairly slowly it’s nice to have an indicator sooner than later. Hope that makes sense

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think all of those exercises involve contracting your muscles, but that's semantics.

Muscle growth and increase in weights being lifted is a better indicator of progress. Constant soreness the day after your workouts, not so much IMO.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I think all of those exercises involve contracting your muscles, but that's semantics.

Muscle growth and increase in weights being lifted is a better indicator of progress. Constant soreness the day after your workouts, not so much IMO.
    Yes I suppose you’re right but due to this corona virus situation it’s going to be a lot harder to tell