Lafleur182 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Working shoulders day after back day?

Hi,

I'm very new to weight lifting, so new in fact I have only just started properly last week. I've developed my full programme using all the advice I could find on different forums, articles, etc. However I've just come across an issue and wonder if a) it is an issue, and b) if it is, how do other gets around this

So basically my routine consists of push/pull split. On my pull day, I am doing exercises such as barbell bent over row and dumbell one arm row. Both of these exercises work my traps and I can feel the soreness the next day. However the next day is my push day, which consists of overhead presses and side lateral raises, both of which also use my traps.

Is this normal? I was under impression each muscle group needs 48 hours rest minimum but on a push/pull split the traps are being worked almost every day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Lafleur182 View Post
    Hi,

I'm very new to weight lifting, so new in fact I have only just started properly last week. I've developed my full programme using all the advice I could find on different forums, articles, etc. However I've just come across an issue and wonder if a) it is an issue, and b) if it is, how do other gets around this

So basically my routine consists of push/pull split. On my pull day, I am doing exercises such as barbell bent over row and dumbell one arm row. Both of these exercises work my traps and I can feel the soreness the next day. However the next day is my push day, which consists of overhead presses and side lateral raises, both of which also use my traps.

Is this normal? I was under impression each muscle group needs 48 hours rest minimum but on a push/pull split the traps are being worked almost every day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    As a novice, why did you develop your own program instead of selecting a tried and tested one from the stickies?

I wouldn't worry about it, if you're hitting the compounds there will be some carryover from secondary muscle groups being worked.

The best way to manage training volume as a novice I found was to hop on one of the 3x per week beginner programmes (F5 for example). However you gotta pick something you enjoy to ensure you maintain consistency.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agree with above that you shouldn't develop your own program with no lifting experience. A Push Pull isn't an ideal beginner setup and you may do doing too much work for less gains, but it depends on the details so post your routine if you'd like feedback. F5 as mentioned above or another novice routine likely would be more suitable.

Your traps aren't the primary movers on those exercises, so it should be fine from that standpoint. Keep in mind you just started lifting last week, so your muscles in general will be less sore as you get more accustomed to it.

Also, you may want to work on proper form and not lifting too heavy if you're engaging your traps too much.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the reason I developed my own rather than take a tried and tested is because I am working out from home so only have access to dumbells, barbell and a bench. I researched lots of different workouts and took bits from each and ensured every muscle was being worked (I think anyway)

My push/pull split is as follows (2 days a week for both);

Pull-
    Dumbell curls (3 sets)
    Hammer curls (3 sets)
    Barbell curls (2 sets)
    Barbell bent over row (3 sets)
    Dumbell one arm row (3 sets)
    Pull ups (2 sets)

Push-
    Bench press (4 sets)
    Dumbell bench press (3 sets)
    Overhead press (3 sets)
    Dumbell overheard press (3 sets)
    Side lateral raises (3 sets)
    Skullcrushers (3 sets)
    Bench dips (3 sets)

I am working out legs also but at the moment this just consists of squats which I do twice a week on the days I'm not doing a push or pull workout.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, I'd strongly recommend F5 over this for you. You can do that with your equipment and can work in portions from the db-only version if necessary. Like many self-made beginner routines yours is too much volume, push heavy, lacks legs and doesn't have a progression scheme.

I know some beginners refuse to budge from their own routines, so some comments:

- Pull: order of exercises is backwards, less volume, less curls, more pullup sets/less row sets, needs a DL variation and possibly a db hamstring curl.
    - Push: less volume, don't need two BP & OHP each, add SQ here and/or another squat/lunge variation. Or just do leg exercises on a separate day like a PPL.

But again, I think you're better of with a proper novice routine.

DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000) DerkBezerk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would really recommend you go for a well designed novice program such as F5 or Barebones.

Your pull/push ratio is out (should be 2:1 in favour of pull), you dont have any rear delt work in there and you arent training legs effectively (no hamstring)

With a barbell and dumbells you dont really have a reason not to get a good lower body day in - Deadlifts, squat, hack squat, lunges, loaded carries etc.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Yeah, I'd strongly recommend F5 over this for you. You can do that with your equipment and can work in portions from the db-only version if necessary. Like many self-made beginner routines yours is too much volume, push heavy, lacks legs and doesn't have a progression scheme.

I know some beginners refuse to budge from their own routines, so some comments:

- Pull: order of exercises is backwards, less volume, less curls, more pullup sets/less row sets, needs a DL variation and possibly a db hamstring curl.
    - Push: less volume, don't need two BP & OHP each, add SQ here and/or another squat/lunge variation. Or just do leg exercises on a separate day like a PPL.

But again, I think you're better of with a proper novice routine.
    I'll definitely take a look at the F5 programme then. Thanks for the tip and for the feedback on my own routine!

Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100) Advice1998 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Lafleur182 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the reason I developed my own rather than take a tried and tested is because I am working out from home so only have access to dumbells, barbell and a bench. I researched lots of different workouts and took bits from each and ensured every muscle was being worked (I think anyway)

My push/pull split is as follows (2 days a week for both);

Pull-
    Dumbell curls (3 sets)
    Hammer curls (3 sets)
    Barbell curls (2 sets)
    Barbell bent over row (3 sets)
    Dumbell one arm row (3 sets)
    Pull ups (2 sets)

Push-
    Bench press (4 sets)
    Dumbell bench press (3 sets)
    Overhead press (3 sets)
    Dumbell overheard press (3 sets)
    Side lateral raises (3 sets)
    Skullcrushers (3 sets)
    Bench dips (3 sets)

I am working out legs also but at the moment this just consists of squats which I do twice a week on the days I'm not doing a push or pull workout.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hey bro everybody starts from somewhere i am not judging you In Fact thats the best thing you did TO start weight lifting. But ur routine is ****ing trash my man. In pull day or Push day or knee day or whatever day always do the big lifts first... ROWS... Presses... Pullups.. All them first then after comes the small stuff like curls tricep pushdowns.. Also if ur a beginner most People recommend a 3 days week workout like fierce 5 or starting strength...but honestly do whatever u like but if ur a beginner just PICK a program that someone experienced made...