SteelIris is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Training strategy? Should I worry about stomach fat/physique or go strength/funct

Should I worry about stomach fat/physique or go strength/function?

Long time lurker first time poster.

My stats
    Height: 5'7''
    Weight (lbs): 152.5
    Deadlift: 385
    Squat: 280
    Bench: shoulder issues so I use dumbbells: 90 per arm
    Pullups: 17 be, 5 with a plate and good form

History: overweight in highschool. Got it together at 20 by running and dieting. Found strong lifts at 22. Did stronglifts off and on from 22 to 27 (like 6 month stints). At 27 did a lot of isometric training. Now at 29 (before lockdown) I base my workouts around a major lift.
    Monday is deadlift to singles or triples, plus accessory leg work .
    Tuesday is morning 5k and evening dumbbell bench, incline bench, cables, pullups, and triceps.
    Wednesday is squat, box jumps, lunges, OHP and weighed stair climb.
    Thursday is morning 5k evening barbell rows, many pull ups, dumbbell rows, and bench, and arms.
    Friday off.
    Saturday. CrossFit style workout in the morning and form check at night or front squats (new for me), OHP, and deadlifts.
    Sunday: whatever. Usually arms, a bike ride, hike or make up.

My diet. Mostly chicken, rice, dates + almond butter, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, tons of eggs and lean ground beef and kale or spinach, sushi, bananas, lots of protein shakes, oatmeal, protein pancakes, some cheat meals but I rarely eat processed food.

My issue: I have always had belly fat. I have cut super hard and I just looked skinny fat and I was weak. I have bulked and got my squat up to 315 but i looked fat but was strong for my weight. Blah blah blah.
    I would like to join the FD. I can pass the physical tests but I struggle. I want to be stronger and increase my conditioning significantly. To this end I have replaced my runs (Tuesday/Thursdays) with HiiT.

Should I just say F it and not worry about my belly fat and focus on strength? Should I be doing more core work? Would you cut super low then bulk? Would you bulk then cut? Is body recomposition real?

Pics in bio

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SteelIris View Post
    Should I worry about stomach fat/physique or go strength/function?

Long time lurker first time poster.

My stats
    Height: 5'7''
    Weight (lbs): 152.5
    Deadlift: 385
    Squat: 280
    Bench: shoulder issues so I use dumbbells: 90 per arm
    Pullups: 17 be, 5 with a plate and good form

History: overweight in highschool. Got it together at 20 by running and dieting. Found strong lifts at 22. Did stronglifts off and on from 22 to 27 (like 6 month stints). At 27 did a lot of isometric training. Now at 29 (before lockdown) I base my workouts around a major lift.
    Monday is deadlift to singles or triples, plus accessory leg work .
    Tuesday is morning 5k and evening dumbbell bench, incline bench, cables, pullups, and triceps.
    Wednesday is squat, box jumps, lunges, OHP and weighed stair climb.
    Thursday is morning 5k evening barbell rows, many pull ups, dumbbell rows, and bench, and arms.
    Friday off.
    Saturday. CrossFit style workout in the morning and form check at night or front squats (new for me), OHP, and deadlifts.
    Sunday: whatever. Usually arms, a bike ride, hike or make up.

My diet. Mostly chicken, rice, dates + almond butter, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, tons of eggs and lean ground beef and kale or spinach, sushi, bananas, lots of protein shakes, oatmeal, protein pancakes, some cheat meals but I rarely eat processed food.

My issue: I have always had belly fat. I have cut super hard and I just looked skinny fat and I was weak. I have bulked and got my squat up to 315 but i looked fat but was strong for my weight. Blah blah blah.
    I would like to join the FD. I can pass the physical tests but I struggle. I want to be stronger and increase my conditioning significantly. To this end I have replaced my runs (Tuesday/Thursdays) with HiiT.

Should I just say F it and not worry about my belly fat and focus on strength? Should I be doing more core work? Would you cut super low then bulk? Would you bulk then cut? Is body recomposition real?

Pics in bio
    Having trouble loading your body space for some reason so haven't seen your pics...but based off your stats and your anecdotal info you sound around 'skinny fat' area - your lifts are quite good for your size, but at your height/weight if you are still carrying a good bit of fat then you can probably stand to gain some more muscle mass. Sounds like your training has made you strong more likely due to CNS adaptation than muscle growth.

You say you've cut hard before and looked skinny fat...how lean did you get? Could you see your abs at all?

For body composition goals, I'd say cut and then reassess once you get down to 12ish%. But for FD and overall goals, it's really up to you - what's more important, being stronger or being leaner and more athletic? Losing fat will make you better at endurance and cardio activities, but may cost some strength...and vice versa.