GotGame2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need help determining macros and calories

Good morning. I need some help determining appropriate macros and calories for my diet.

My goal is to build muscle.

I am 6'4", 200 pounds, 49 years old.
    My revolving schedule is as follows:

Monday: Arms and legs
    Tuesday: Cardio and abs
    Wednesday: Chest and legs
    Thursday: Cardio and abs
    Friday: Arms and legs
    Saturday: Cardio and abs
    Sunday: Chest and legs

I lift 3-4 sets of the heaviest weight I can handle, 7-8 reps per set. I work out 90-120 minutes each day.

6 months ago, a nutritionist told me that my macros / calorie count should be as follows:

Fat: 17%
    Carbs: 33%
    Protein: 50%
    Calories:2118 + a "Clean Bulk Increase" of 500 for a total of 2618

Recently, I did some research and discovered the Mifflin St. Jeor Equation. It calculated that I should be consuming 1874 calories per day.
    Part of the equation stipulates that I should factor in the Total Energy Expenditure figure of 1.725 to account for heavy exercise (6-7 days a week).
    This brings my calorie total to 3232 calories per day.
    Adding 500 calories for a "Clean Bulk Increase" equates to a total of 3732 calories per day.

My diet is all good fats, complex carbs and lean meats. I take Creatine and pre-WOD daily, which include BCAAs and Beta Alanine.

I've been reading in some forums that people trying to gain muscle should follow a macro breakdown of 20F/40C/40P. Other forums say that carbs should be higher than protein.

As you can tell, I am thoroughly confused.

Questions:

1. Are my macro percentages correct?
    2. Is my calorie count accurate?

Thank you for your help.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Don't use percentages.

Use 1g of fat per kg of bodyweight
    And 1.6g of protein per kg of bodyweight

These are minimums and you can fill the remainder with carbs - or with more fats and proteins as you prefer.

calories = 4 x protein + 4 x carbs + 9 x fats.

Your calorie count looks way too high. This can happen when using calculators, they are not as accurate as they appear.

Better to set a sensible number and then adjust it once every couple of weeks based on bodyweight trend. Start with 2600 maybe.

Thank you very much!

So if I fill in the remainder with carbs, my minimum macros should look like:

91 Fat (17%)
    301 Carbs (56%)
    145 Protein (27%)
    2600 Calories

If I fill in the remainder with fats, carbs, and proteins, is there a recommended ratio to try to achieve?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No, ratios don't matter. It's about getting essential protein and fat - once you've achieved that, the combination of macros doesn't make any difference to results.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since you listed your workout (not really, just days and bodyparts)... why don't you work your back? Or shoulders?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GotGame2020 View Post
    Part of the equation stipulates that I should factor in the Total Energy Expenditure figure of 1.725 to account for heavy exercise (6-7 days a week).
    This brings my calorie total to 3232 calories per day.
    Adding 500 calories for a "Clean Bulk Increase" equates to a total of 3732 calories per day.
    Things will not end well.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Instead of relying on calculators, just pick a reasonable mid-point and track your weight change and adjust...

I've seen 5-2" women who need over 3000 calories to bulk, and I've heard 6-foot 170lb dudes say they can bulk on only 2500 calories... it all depends on the individual.
    The power of carbs compels me!

SuffolkPunch: Thank you very much. I'll try what you said and base my macros on the minimum calculations you provided. I'm thinking:

100 Fat
    275 Carbs
    200 Protein
    2800 Calories

Thanks again.

CommitmentRulz: I have been trying to focus on areas of work. I've worked in labor positions a lot of my life and feel that my arms and chest need to catch up with my back and shoulders.

TolerantLactose: Yeah, I made a mistake by following that calculation. Thanks for validating that it was in fact a mistake. I gained 5 pounds in a week. Ouch.

AdamWW: Thank you. I'll take the advice from the group and adjust over time.

SuffolkPunch: Thank you very much. I'll try what you said and base my macros on the minimum calculations you provided. I'm thinking:

100 Fat
    275 Carbs
    200 Protein
    2800 Calories

Thanks again.
    The advantage of not having to hit exact numbers (just minimums) means that it makes diet planning easier. If your chosen foods end up at (say) 10g less fat and 10g less protein, but 30g more carb, that would be fine. No need to be eating weird things at the end of the day just to hit specific numbers.

SuffolkPunch: Its so interesting to hear that only minimums of fats and proteins need to be met, and that the balance of my calories can be a makeup of any of the three macros. Definitely provides flexibility.

I meal plan, so I prepare 3 of my 6 daily meals at the beginning of the week. For this reason, it's easy for me to stick to calculations that I come up with in advance.

My macros turned out as follows:

Fat: 107
    Carbs: 285
    Protein: 243
    Calories: 2777

Huge diet change from last week. Looking forward to results. Thanks again.

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Basically what everyone else said, however; unfortunately as you get older your body needs me protein. Id shoot for a minimum of 2.3g per kg of lean body mass. Then I usually do a 60carb/40fat split for the remaining cals.

As some have said, percentages dont work because you may have to move your cals up or down and usually you only want to move carbs and fat, not protein.

A quick example for someone cutting is say your eating 2000 cals and 2.2g per kg lean body mass for a while then you cut to say 1800 cals. you would want to just lower your carbs or fats because (hopefully) you kept most of your lean body mass.
    www.miscers.com

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177185321 ~ WoW Classic <MISCERS> guild horde thread GTFIH

320 bench press
    1000lbs club at 190ish lbs

Chargers, Angels, Lakers, Canucks.

Originally Posted by kingofturtles View Post
    Basically what everyone else said, however; unfortunately as you get older your body needs me protein. Id shoot for a minimum of 2.3g per kg of lean body mass. Then I usually do a 60carb/40fat split for the remaining cals.

As some have said, percentages dont work because you may have to move your cals up or down and usually you only want to move carbs and fat, not protein.

A quick example for someone cutting is say your eating 2000 cals and 2.2g per kg lean body mass for a while then you cut to say 1800 cals. you would want to just lower your carbs or fats because (hopefully) you kept most of your lean body mass.
    Got it. I think I'm there with my revised numbers.

So stupid question: When you say, "2.3 grams of protein per kg Lean Body Mass", is Lean Body Mass different than body weight?

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Got it. I think I'm there with my revised numbers.

So stupid question: When you say, "2.3 grams of protein per kg Lean Body Mass", is Lean Body Mass different than body weight?
    Yes... your body isn't 100% lean tissue/material... it also contains fat.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Yes... your body isn't 100% lean tissue/material... it also contains fat.
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by kingofturtles View Post

Thank you.

So 2.3 X 79 kg lean body mass is 182
    182 from 2700 calories leaves 1971
    1971 split 60/40 between carbs and fats leaves me with:

Fat: 789
    Carbs: 1183
    Protein: 729
    Calories: 2700

Is there a benefit to consuming that many calories in fat?

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you.

So 2.3 X 79 kg lean body mass is 182
    182 from 2700 calories leaves 1971
    1971 split 60/40 between carbs and fats leaves me with:

Fat: 789
    Carbs: 1183
    Protein: 729
    Calories: 2700

Is there a benefit to consuming that many calories in fat?
    Fat helps regulate hormones. Its important to have enough. Also remeber that a fat cal is 9gms. So (assuming ur calculations are correct) you eating

Fat: 87g
    Carbs: 295g
    Protein 182g

seems reasonable for a maintenance/bulk.

So if you want to start at 2700 cals, try that at those breakdowns for maybe 2/3 weeks. Then adjust from there. If your gaining weight too much then lower ur carbs a bit. Still gaining weight too much, maybe lower fat a bit.

I wouldnt really touch protein unless you go into a cut, then (as a 50 year old) your going to need like 2.8 or 3g per kg lbm.

Also, as other people have mentioned I think, we arent pro body builders, we arent fitness influencers. The best way to stick to a "diet" is to find one that you enjoy. Because of this I typically make sure I hit my calories and my protein. After that I TRY to hit my carb and fat markers but if I dont, then I dont.
    Last edited by kingofturtles; 03-29-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    www.miscers.com

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177185321 ~ WoW Classic <MISCERS> guild horde thread GTFIH

320 bench press
    1000lbs club at 190ish lbs

Chargers, Angels, Lakers, Canucks.

Thanks all.