TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Feedback on my routine?

So I've recently been trying to develop a home training routine for myself. What with the current situation and all the gyms being closed I've had to improvise a little, since I haven't got access to a power rack or huge quantities of weight plates.

Background info: Young male, relatively new to the gym, trying to gain muscle mass. (Also trying to burn some time since there isn't much to do these days bc of the coronavirus quarantine lol). Equipment available: olympic barbell, bench, plates, light dumbbells.

My idea for a routine:

Push/Pull/Legs 6 days a week, rest day on day 7

Day 1 – Push

Incline bench press: 5x8
    Landmine crossovers: 3x12 each side (i.e sort of shrugging and adducting the weight across the chest - elicits a very strong contraction)
    Overhead press: 5x5
    Lateral raise: 3x12
    Lying tricep extension: 3x8
    Weighted situps: 3x12

Day 2 – Pull

Bent-over barbell row: 5x5
    Door pull-ups (no pull-up bar): 3 sets (can only do 1-2, so do AMRAP unassisted, then do about 10 eccentrics, with the aim of eventually doing all unassisted reps)
    Dumbbell pullovers: 5x8
    Barbell curl: 3x8

Day 3 – Legs

Front squat: 3x5
    Romanian deadlift: 3x8
    Barbell lunge: 3x12 each side
    Standing barbell calf raise: 5x12

The reason I'm doing incline presses and no flat bench presses is that (as I mentioned) I haven't got a rack, so I have to clean the weight, sit down, do the set, and then stand up with it and put it down, which I can't really do on a flat bench. Also no back squats, for a similar reason - cleaning it up and then pressing into position is too awkward.

What do you guys think? Any feedback or suggestions? I'm hoping it's not complete rubbish but I don't have much confidence lol.
    Last edited by TnkCmndrToo; 03-27-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention have 2 light DBs.

paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd add some hammer curls, standing tricep extension (two hands holding a dumb bell, lower it behind your head and raise it), pendlay rows and shrugs.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not bad. Id advise against 6 days though. Push, pull, rest, Legs, rest, repeat or a 5 day Lower Upper rest LPP split would work better imo for advanced lifters. If you're new you are just wasting time doing PPL though..

TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TnkCmndrToo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I'd add some hammer curls, standing tricep extension (two hands holding a dumb bell, lower it behind your head and raise it), pendlay rows and shrugs.
    Thanks, good points. I'll add those.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    Not bad. Id advise against 6 days though. Push, pull, rest, Legs, rest, repeat or a 5 day Lower Upper rest LPP split would work better imo for advanced lifters. If you're new you are just wasting time doing PPL though..
    Yeah I think I know what you're saying. I have been running a 3 day per week full-body routine (based off Arnold's Golden Six) for a month or so, but with the current situation I thought I would change up my training a little - partly to fill up the time, but also to try and make progress at a slightly accelerated rate, just for the next 4-5 weeks. It's a short-term thing - I'm planning to return to 3x per week full-body training after this is all over and I have full equipment access again (probably going to do Starting Strength). Will it be detrimental for me to run PPL as a beginner?