Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)

Calisthenics home workout for anyone wanting to try it

Been seeing a lot of people making threads due to the coronavirus asking for a home workout routine. I decided I'm going to help and share my personal routine for anyone willing to give it a shot.

There are some things you'll need first.
    1. Weight vest
    2. Gymnastic rings
    3. Parallettes
    4. Dip belt
    5. Any plates/dumbbells for the dip belt/pistol squats
    6. Bench or something like a bench

The routine is an upper/lower split with 6 workout days.

Monday: Upper A
    Tuesday: Lower
    Wednesday: Core A
    Thursday: Upper B
    Friday: Lower
    Saturday: Core B
    Sunday: off

Upper A:
    Superset
    Ring dips 6x5-15
    Ring pull ups 6x5-15

Upper B:
    Superset
    Handstand/pike push-ups 6x5-15
    Inverted ring rows 6x5-15

Lower:
    Superset
    Pistol squats 6x5-15
    One legged standing calf raises 6x5-15
    Handstand wall holds 6×30-60 sec

Core A:
    Superset
    Dragon flags 6x5-15
    Extended elbow superman plank holds 6x30-60 sec

Core B:
    Superset
    Dragon flags 6x5-15
    L sit holds 6x15-30 sec

All sets must be close to failure with 2 reps in reserve at the most. Use vest/dip belt if needed to keep reps to 15 and below. Use parallettes for handstand push-ups/pike push-ups as well as L sit holds. And lastly use the bench for calf raises against a wall and for dragonflags.

Progression is built in by going close to failure on every set. Assuming you're eating enough calories and protein to recover, you're body will automatically require a harder work load to get close to failure.

Don't get too caught up in the reps as long as it's at least 5 and no more than 15. The rest between sets is whenever you feel like as long as you're not taking forever between sets.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-27-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for posting, great quarantine workout since most ppl without home gyms at the very least have rings hanging from their ceiling and parallettes under the bed.

Quick Q: So the reps don't matter much right as long as it's at least 5? Like if I never increase the reps or add weight to the vest for months but just keep getting fatter, that counts as progressive overload right?

Thanks again buddy, can't wait to try this out tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    So last night while working out, I was feeling kind of down about my progress. The amount of reps I do for pull ups, dips, pistol squats, etc. have stayed relatively the same over the past 3 months without adding any weight to my exercises either. I kept thinking man this just isn't working. Then I realized, I gained 20lbs in 3 months when I started bulking up right after cutting.

Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Thanks for posting, great quarantine workout since most ppl without home gyms at the very least have rings hanging from their ceiling and parallettes under the bed.

Quick Q: So the reps don't matter much right as long as it's at least 5? Like if I never increase the reps or add weight to the vest for months but just keep getting fatter, that counts as progressive overload right?

Thanks again buddy, can't wait to try this out tomorrow!

Progression is built in already. As long as you're recovering, the muscles will instinctively require more workload to be near failure within the same rep range. Weight is adjusted only as necessary based on that principle. You wouldn't even have to think about adding weight when you'll automatically have to do it to limit you from going beyond 15 reps. In most cases, people add weight to get stronger. In this case, you add weight to limit your reps as you get stronger. Same difference, just different approach.

Got my rings and parallettes off Amazon for 30 bucks. If most of those people were paying 30 a month for gym membership, they can easily buy rings and parallettes.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-26-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for posting, great quarantine workout since most ppl without home gyms at the very least have rings hanging from their ceiling and parallettes under the bed...
    Quite a few people would be able to make some makeshift wooden parallettes, not everyone, but some people have access to wood and tools.

https://www.instructables.com/howto/Parallettes/

It's a much bigger task to make rings though, you'd need a lot of spare time!

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY...rossfit-rings/

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Quite a few people would be able to make some makeshift wooden parallettes, not everyone, but some people have access to wood and tools.

https://www.instructables.com/howto/Parallettes/

It's a much bigger task to make rings though, you'd need a lot of spare time!

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY...rossfit-rings/
    Time is one thing we have right now, something to attach them to - not so much. I bet ERHubbard could make them pretty easily.

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Legs are skimped on a bit.

For hamstrings I've been doing high rep SLRDL (hold the heaviest thing you have access to) and assisted Nordic curls.

Split squats and sissy squats also good options for leg day.

I've been doing 220 lb squats by loading up with backpacks and my wife.

As for not having rings, you can always do dips and pull ups on a bar if you have a playground or tree branch nearby.

Also L sits and HS pushups don't require parallettes. They do make L sit a bit easier, and HS push ups a tad harder though.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post

For hamstrings I've been doing high rep SLRDL (hold the heaviest thing you have access to) and assisted Nordic curls.

As for not having rings, you can always do dips and pull ups on a bar if you have a playground or tree branch nearby.

Also L sits and HS pushups don't require parallettes. They do make L sit a bit easier, and HS push ups a tad harder though.
    Agree OP's routine is light on legs, and good job making the most out of your leg workouts with makeshift equipment.

But there are many ways to build muscle, and OP's routine can do that even if there are deficiencies. As long as it fits with his goals and he's happy with it, seems good enough.

I can see how OP's been stuck at the same reps/resistance on all exercises for 3 months, but I'll refrain from making actual suggestions so I don't get the "snowflake, ignorant, there's only one right way to do things - my way" tirade again. Gaining weight fast does make bodyweight exercises more difficult, so it is a form of progression even if not optimal.

Agree OP's routine is light on legs, and good job making the most out of your leg workouts with makeshift equipment.

But there are many ways to build muscle, and OP's routine can do that even if there are deficiencies. As long as it fits with his goals and he's happy with it, seems good enough.

I can see how OP's been stuck at the same reps/resistance on all exercises for 3 months, but I'll refrain from making actual suggestions so I don't get the "snowflake, ignorant, there's only one right way to do things - my way" tirade again. Gaining weight fast does make bodyweight exercises more difficult, so it is a form of progression even if not optimal.
    I've had trouble progressing in the past for two main reasons. I wasn't eating in a surplus nor tracking protein for a a while long ago, and I've also had unrealistic expectations. I used to think 5lbs more on lift in a month was crap progress but then I've seen people mention 5lbs a month is 60lbs a year dude that's damn good progress. So back then I'd come on here and be like what the hell is going on, I'm not making progress. I've always been the highly impatient type with unrealistic expectations and that's been my biggest weakness causing me to give up too easily at times. Always been that guy wanting to add 5 more lbs every single workout and when I wouldn't be able to do it I'd start to holler that my progress sucks. That has hindered me quite a bit before from constant overreaching until I said you know what screw it. If my body isn't letting me go above and beyond today so be it and if it is, that's good too. Helped getting out of the numbers trap.

Been watching this YouTube channel called massive iron and I like how he stresses consistency on all levels-diet, routine, etc.

And I think the biggest problem most people have here is consistency and unrealistic expectations. You can still make gains with a crap routine and more often than not, the routine isn't the issue here for most people.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-27-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post

They are skimped out on a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell to work hamstrings. I'm trying to do those bodyweight hamstring curls where you jam your ankles under something but I'm having trouble finding that. Don't get me wrong, pistol squats ain't no joke. You can always wear a weight vest doing them or hold a kettle bell or plate or hell you can do both at the same time. It's not that you can't go heavy with legs doing calisthenics, it's more that there's not enough exercise variety for them. Deadlifts are way out of the question. Only things remaining are those hamstring curls I mentioned about and weighted high knee sprints or something like that. And you don't need parallettes for l sits or handstand push ups, I just like the extra range of motion they offer.

About pistol squats though to help put them into perspective here for anyone doubting them. You need to pistol squat 50% of your body weight on top of your bodyweight to equal out to a 2x bodyweight standard barbell squat. Total leg mass is 16-18% of a person's bodyweight. That's about 25lbs for a 150lb person.

If you’re doing a 175 lbs squat at 150 lbs bodyweight then you’re pushing approximately 175+100=275 lbs through both of your legs. If you’re doing a 30 lbs pistol at 150 lbs then you’re pushing 125+30=155 lbs through one leg. 155/275 = .56 ratio

How much do you have to pistol to approximately equal a 2x bodyweight standard barbell squat?

We approximate with backward induction:

150lbs male with 2x bodyweight squat is 300 lbs.
    150 lbs (bodyweight) – 25 (one leg) – 25 (other leg) + 300 lbs (barbell) = 400 lbs by both legs.
    400 * .55 ratio = 220 total lbs
    220 lbs – (150 lbs (bodyweight) – 25 lbs (pushing leg)) = 95 lbs added to the pistol
    (95 lbs/150 lbs bodyweight)*100% = 63% of bodyweight.

To get a 2x bodyweight barbell squat you need to pistol approximately 63% of your bodyweight. In reality, since the pistol achieves more depth than a barbell squat, I’d imagine the number is closer to 50-55% of your bodyweight in practice. Thus, approximately 50% bodyweight pistol = 2x bodyweight squat. Let's use a more simple example to think in terms of a 135lb barbell squat. If you weigh 175lbs and do a pistol squat, that's 145lbs going through one leg where one leg is about 30lbs. Now if you squat with a 135lbs barbell, that's 130lbs going through each leg. Thus pistol squatting at 175lbs bodyweight, is harder than squatting a 135lbs barbell.

Now, pistol squatting while holding 95lbs is not very practical to do because where are you going to find 95lbs really? You can always get stronger through reps. At high levels of strength, an extra reps is a vast improvement in one's max. Benching 315 for 5 reps for example yields a max of 354. But benching 315 for 7 reps yields a max of 378. 2 more reps is an improvement of 24lbs!
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-27-2020 at 10:53 PM.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They are skimped out on a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell to work hamstrings. I'm trying to do those bodyweight hamstring curls where you jam your ankles under something but I'm having trouble finding that. Don't get me wrong, pistol squats ain't no joke. You can always wear a weight vest doing them or hold a kettle bell or plate or hell you can do both at the same time. It's not that you can't go heavy with legs doing calisthenics, it's more that there's not enough exercise variety for them. Deadlifts are way out of the question. Only things remaining are those hamstring curls I mentioned about and weighted high knee sprints or something like that. And you don't need parallettes for l sits or handstand push ups, I just like the extra range of motion they offer.

About pistol squats though to help put them into perspective here for anyone doubting them. You need to pistol squat 50% of your body weight on top of your bodyweight to equal out to a 2x bodyweight standard barbell squat. Total leg mass is 16-18% of a person's bodyweight. That's about 25lbs for a 150lb person.

If you’re doing a 175 lbs squat at 150 lbs bodyweight then you’re pushing approximately 175+100=275 lbs through both of your legs. If you’re doing a 30 lbs pistol at 150 lbs then you’re pushing 125+30=155 lbs through one leg. 155/275 = .56 ratio

How much do you have to pistol to approximately equal a 2x bodyweight standard barbell squat?

We approximate with backward induction:

150lbs male with 2x bodyweight squat is 300 lbs.
    150 lbs (bodyweight) – 25 (one leg) – 25 (other leg) + 300 lbs (barbell) = 400 lbs by both legs.
    400 * .55 ratio = 220 total lbs
    220 lbs – (150 lbs (bodyweight) – 25 lbs (pushing leg)) = 95 lbs added to the pistol
    (95 lbs/150 lbs bodyweight)*100% = 63% of bodyweight.

To get a 2x bodyweight barbell squat you need to pistol approximately 63% of your bodyweight. In reality, since the pistol achieves more depth than a barbell squat, I’d imagine the number is closer to 50-55% of your bodyweight in practice. Thus, approximately 50% bodyweight pistol = 2x bodyweight squat. Let's use a more simple example to think in terms of a 135lb barbell squat. If you weigh 175lbs and do a pistol squat, that's 145lbs going through one leg where one leg is about 30lbs. Now if you squat with a 135lbs barbell, that's 130lbs going through each leg. Thus pistol squatting at 175lbs bodyweight, is harder than squatting a 135lbs barbell.

Now, pistol squatting while holding 95lbs is not very practical to do because where are you going to find 95lbs really? You can always get stronger through reps. At high levels of strength, an extra reps is a vast improvement in one's max. Benching 315 for 5 reps for example yields a max of 354. But benching 315 for 7 reps yields a max of 378. 2 more reps is an improvement of 24lbs!

I don't know how you do your pistol squats, but have you tried throwing some heavy books into a large tote bag and holding it to your chest? I'm assuming you don't have a 45 lb. barbel where you can add plates and collars (holding it at hip level, becoming a front delt raise at ATG). Let me know how this works for you!
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm not convinced that pistol and barbell squats can be compared with simple math. I mean common sense would say that pistol squat is roughly 1 leg working against all bodyweight (ignoring all weight of 1 lower leg and 1/2 weight of 1 upper leg, for simplicity). On that basis using 2 legs and adding a barbell weighing 1*bodyweight would be pretty similar load (roughly/simplified, 1*bodyweight for each leg) and pretty similar difficulty. That's a nice sounding Theory anyway.

Maybe this is just me but a squat to parallel with barbell weighing 1*bodyweight is not exactly what I'd describe as a challenge, but *****! a pistol to parallel is WAY harder, different league. (Both to parallel to aid comparison)

As tempting as it is to throw numbers at this and compare with barbell squats, IMHO we should respect the pistol as a different exercise.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I'm not convinced that pistol and barbell squats can be compared with simple math. ... As tempting as it is to throw numbers at this and compare with barbell squats, IMHO we should respect the pistol as a different exercise.
    ^This. You're limited in strength and muscle you can build with pistol squats because of the specific unilateral movement and balance/coordination required. Being more difficult doesn't necessarily mean it builds muscle better, but pistol squats are still a great exercise with its own benefits. Just is helpful to have more standard weighted squat in the routine as well.

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recommend pistols to parallel, too, holding enough resistance at chest...and holding that pause for a few seconds, just slightly below parallel. It's tough!!! You guys might be right; just going to slightly below parallel with moderate resistance offers a different kind of stimulus- both, in terms of strength, full-body muscular control (functional balance) and muscular development. Pistols are just another variant of squats- unilateral work!
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Yeah I think if most people tried to pistol squat the "mathematical" equivalent of their back squat, even if they were able to magically keep their balance, their knees/ligaments/tendons would rip apart.

Yeah I think if most people tried to pistol squat the "mathematical" equivalent of their back squat, even if they were able to magically keep their balance, their knees/ligaments/tendons would rip apart.
    They wouldn't necessarily rip apart if you were healthy. You just have to have strong connective tissue and strong quads. And maintain good form. If you have good form, you won't have an issue with your knees and surrounding connective tissue. I think a lot of it comes from practice in maintaining core strength (balance).

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks good but only one problem....

Most people can’t do pike pushups, pistol squats, handstands (let alone handstand push ups) see my point?

A lot of brahs out there who have such chitty flexibility, lack of core strength, no type of balance think because they can squat more than they weigh that “I’ll just do pistol squats herp deep” and they can’t even balance on one leg let alone squat with one.

And ring work? Forget about it. Same goes with dragon flags and L-sits because they have been lead to believe that “the compounds” are all the core work you need.

All those same brahs benching thinking push ups or pokes will be easy and nope, there scapula/traps are weak as hell and can’t stabilize there own fukking arms pushing away from the ground.

The upper/lower plan does work quite well for calisthenics so keep that.

But it would be best to keep it simple and have an upper day with a push and pull with Ab work and a lower day with a squat and hinge and more Ab work. 5 sets to failure.

BUT, if you have access to the bars and rings and have the ability to do all those exercises, then this program looks pretty GOAT. Well done, OP.

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    They wouldn't necessarily rip apart if you were healthy. You just have to have strong connective tissue and strong quads. And maintain good form. If you have good form, you won't have an issue with your knees and surrounding connective tissue. I think a lot of it comes from practice in maintaining core strength (balance).
    I just think you're limited in how much you can load up a pistol squat because once you get past a certain level of weight, it's just not gonna happen whether because of balance or you just crumble into a heap onto the floor - it's a lot of stabilization. I view them as diff skill sets than back squats even though they work the same muscles. And with anything, the key is to progressively overload gradually.

But I'm a non-gymnast with healthy but well-worn knees. We likely don't have the same balancing ability.

I just think you're limited in how much you can load up a pistol squat because once you get past a certain level of weight, it's just not gonna happen whether because of balance or you just crumble into a heap onto the floor - it's a lot of stabilization. I view them as diff skill sets than back squats even though they work the same muscles. And with anything, the key is to progressively overload gradually.

But I'm a non-gymnast with healthy but well-worn knees. We likely don't have the same balancing ability.
    I have "crumbled" into a heap onto the gym floor before doing these...and then got back up again, many many times, and continued on- no injuries! But yes, anyone would need good stabilizing muscles for this exercise. That's why I recommended the tote with exercise physiology university textbooks (heavy weight!) for another former gymnast- username "animal." I would also recommend he play the song,"Droppin' Plates" by Disturbed, while doing sets of these I'm just trying to be creative!

I have "crumbled" into a heap onto the gym floor before doing these...and then got back up again, many many times, and continued on- no injuries!
    For better or worse, I've managed to get all my serious injuries (other than normal wear & tear) outside the gym - although I've had to work around them in the gym as necessary.

As BGz said above, certain movements would be difficult for many beginners and experienced lifters alike (and could even cause injuries if jumping into these movements for the first time since you can't just start out with an empty bar or light weights like you can for regular exercises that don't involve bodyweight).

Not saying OP needs to change his routine at all for himself, but if the intention is to give a calisthenics alternative for those who may be interested in trying it, it prob would help to suggest some structured progression, like...

- How to build up to certain exercises if unable to do them (e.g., assisted pistol squats).
    - Some form of rep/resistance progression for the exercises themselves (beyond sub-conscious auto-regulation). Structured progression isn't a "numbers trap", it assists in ensuring progress over time esp when there are prescribed methods to push through any stalls. Some progression structure usually helps beginners to avoid spinning their wheels.
    - Also, for ppl who want a more balanced routine, some more (optional) Leg exercises might be good to list.

@ Animal2629: I don't recommend you try to learn pistol squats in order to achieve a 2x body weight squat! The 2x (or approximately 2x) body weight squat, IMHO, should come first! You should also be strong at deadlifts and the sled leg press (well-rounded good lower body strength, for instance) before attempting pistols. If you feel you need assistance, you can post a video (optional!) to get feedback on your form with back barbel squats.

@ air2fakie: I've never seen anyone progress from TRX hanging straps "assisted pistols" to traditional body weight pistols. I never practiced "assisted" pistols! The problem with using straps is people are essentially using their upper bodies to pull their weight- not helpful in developing the lower body strength and balance needed to perform these! The first modification may be to use moderate-large plyo boxes, and begin in a seated position. When sets of these become easy, try progressing to a lower plyo box. The last progression might be a hard foam roller, beginning in a centered seated position. I don't advise using any small apparatus if one is not flexible enough, has joint issues or experiences pain.

As far as more optional leg exercises...we all do the same ones, myself included. We have all contributed to many leg exercise threads by now If I think of something else, I'll come back.

And by the way, I'm sorry about any injuries you have accrued!! It is very hard to work around! Stay healthy and safe through all this too!
    Last edited by etet1919; 03-28-2020 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I used to be a good speller

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post

Most people can’t do pike pushups, pistol squats, handstands (let alone handstand push ups) see my point?....
    A barbell novice wouldn't be expected to squat a heavy weight, they'd progress to it over time. A pistol novice wouldn't be expected to pistol squat, they'd progress to it over time.

I can't pistol currently, but I'm following a 10 step progression towards it.

If a program says pistol and you can't, then do the hardest variation you can for the given rep range - and progressively improve over time. Same with handstand push-ups and all the rest, follow the progressions! (it's like progressively adding plates)

And if you don't know the progressions, Google them, or read "Convict Conditioning" (or similar)

As far as more optional leg exercises...we all do the same ones, myself included. We have all contributed to many leg exercise threads by now If I think of something else, I'll come back. ... And by the way, I'm sorry about any injuries you have occurred!! It is very hard to work around! Stay healthy and safe through all this too!
    OP can be a little particular on what's acceptable, so figured he'd want to add his own flair to some lower body calisthenics.

And thanks, I've accepted that injuries can happen when you stay similarly active outside of the gym as the years go by.

I don't know how you do your pistol squats, but have you tried throwing some heavy books into a large tote bag and holding it to your chest? I'm assuming you don't have a 45 lb. barbel where you can add plates and collars (holding it at hip level, becoming a front delt raise at ATG). Let me know how this works for you!
    I have a 40lb asjustable weight vest which was pretty pricey but well worth the investment. You don't want to go really cheap on a weight vest. Other than that, plates work fine. Kettle bells would be ideal

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post

Most people can’t do pike pushups, pistol squats, handstands (let alone handstand push ups) see my point?

A lot of brahs out there who have such chitty flexibility, lack of core strength, no type of balance think because they can squat more than they weigh that “I’ll just do pistol squats herp deep” and they can’t even balance on one leg let alone squat with one.

And ring work? Forget about it. Same goes with dragon flags and L-sits because they have been lead to believe that “the compounds” are all the core work you need.

All those same brahs benching thinking push ups or pokes will be easy and nope, there scapula/traps are weak as hell and can’t stabilize there own fukking arms pushing away from the ground.

The upper/lower plan does work quite well for calisthenics so keep that.

But it would be best to keep it simple and have an upper day with a push and pull with Ab work and a lower day with a squat and hinge and more Ab work. 5 sets to failure.

BUT, if you have access to the bars and rings and have the ability to do all those exercises, then this program looks pretty GOAT. Well done, OP.
    For pistol squats and pike push-ups, there are progressions. Same for dragonflags. I didn't mention that but the neat thing with calisthenics is that you can adjust leverages. For example, beginners can try doing one legged steps up on bench then progress to assisted pistols while holding onto a bar or something to help with balance especially. Hell, I started doing pistols holding onto my door frame. For dragonflags, people can start with knee tucks, then progress to full leg swings before they can start getting their lower backs up off the bench.

On rings they can start with doing ring push ups low to the ground going really deep. And for ring pull ups they can just do only inverted rows on both upper body days. The exercises in this routine aren't necessarily cemented per se. Any variations can be done with manageable leverages to fit one's strength level as long as the template remains the same such as super setting a push with a pull on upper day for 6 hard sets each.

I go through different variations myself as I build up fatigue from set to set. For example I'll start with ring muscle ups on the first set getting 5 reps in. After that it's weighted ring dips and pull ups and then I end up taking the weight vest off as I get to the 5th and 6th sets to not let reps fall below 5.

Can't do an L-sit? Start with knee tuck holds. There are so many progressions on different leverages on youtube. All people would need to do is find the one they can manage and build from there. You gotta crawl before you can walk. Just like lifting weights you gotta leave ego at the door and lift what you can with proper form. You can't do ring dips? Start with ring push ups it is what it is. The good news is there's a lot of room for improvement. People hear rings and they instantly think forget about it when rings enable so many easier variations if needed. I'm glad you brought up what you did because this post is meant to take away all the excuses. Where there's a will, there's a way. No matter how preachy it may sound, that is what separates those who succeed and those who don't.

Last and final measure is something most people don't want to hear and that is going on a cut. If anyone is going into calisthenics carrying quite a bit of fat in particular (which is nothing but dead weight anyways), it may be time to start cutting even if they have decent weight lifting numbers. You might of gotten away benching in the 300s at 20%+ bodyfat, but calisthenics gonna humble you real fast because you're in calisthenics land this time. Where there's a will there's a way.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-28-2020 at 10:42 PM.

I have a 40lb asjustable weight vest which was pretty pricey but well worth the investment. You don't want to go really cheap on a weight vest. Other than that, plates work fine. Kettle bells would be ideal
    Is it true you're a former gymnast? Did you compete? I could have sworn it was you who posted a video of advanced training on a "high bar" a few months back. Is my memory correct?

Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevolifts89 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Been seeing a lot of people making threads due to the coronavirus asking for a home workout routine. I decided I'm going to help and share my personal routine for anyone willing to give it a shot.

There are some things you'll need first.
    1. Weight vest
    2. Gymnastic rings
    3. Parallettes
    4. Dip belt
    5. Any plates/dumbbells for the dip belt/pistol squats
    6. Bench or something like a bench

The routine is an upper/lower split with 6 workout days.

Monday: Upper A
    Tuesday: Lower
    Wednesday: Core A
    Thursday: Upper B
    Friday: Lower
    Saturday: Core B
    Sunday: off

Upper A:
    Superset
    Ring dips 6x5-15
    Ring pull ups 6x5-15

Upper B:
    Superset
    Handstand/pike push-ups 6x5-15
    Inverted ring rows 6x5-15

Lower:
    Superset
    Pistol squats 6x5-15
    One legged standing calf raises 6x5-15
    Handstand wall holds 6×30-60 sec

Core A:
    Superset
    Dragon flags 6x5-15
    Extended elbow superman plank holds 6x30-60 sec

Core B:
    Superset
    Dragon flags 6x5-15
    L sit holds 6x15-30 sec

All sets must be close to failure with 2 reps in reserve at the most. Use vest/dip belt if needed to keep reps to 15 and below. Use parallettes for handstand push-ups/pike push-ups as well as L sit holds. And lastly use the bench for calf raises against a wall and for dragonflags.

Progression is built in by going close to failure on every set. Assuming you're eating enough calories and protein to recover, you're body will automatically require a harder work load to get close to failure.

Don't get too caught up in the reps as long as it's at least 5 and no more than 15. The rest between sets is whenever you feel like as long as you're not taking forever between sets.
    Sounds great!

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like a TKO weight vest. As for kettlebells, any kind of loadable handle will do as long as you have weight plates. There are a multitude of DIY articles and videos on it.

I have two of these and all my workouts begin with hard style swings:

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Sounds like a TKO weight vest. As for kettlebells, any kind of loadable handle will do as long as you have weight plates. There are a multitude of DIY articles and videos on it.

I have two of these and all my workouts begin with hard style swings:

I got my weight vest from weight vest dot com. Made in USA.

https://ibb.co/zPvrH77

I got my weight vest from weight vest dot com. Made in USA.

https://ibb.co/zPvrH77
    Animal, I was wondering if you had gymnastics training? IME, if you were a formally trained gymnast, you wouldn't need progressions to perform pistols.

Unmoggable Ass Pirate Slayermanlet's Avatar
    Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good thread op repped

For anyone with zero equipment due to full lockdown you can check out my current workout too

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1600902191
    Gymnastics / Oly Lifting / BJJ / Kickboxing /

*~UK Brah~*

If there's a light at the end of the tunnel, it's a train coming in the other direction