GeminiAlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does weights lifting help burn fat?

I was wondering for an obese person does lifting weights help burn fat or will it just make them look bulky?

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GeminiAlex View Post
    I was wondering for an obese person does lifting weights help burn fat or will it just make them look bulky?
    I think the last thing an obese person needs to worry about is muscle making him or her look too bulky.

bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bsrkoacar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yes lifting weights will burn fat and also raise your metabolism. however diet and cardio have a bigger impact on short term fat loss.
    225 bodyweight @ 6'3"

290 bench
    479.5 squat (usapl)
    570 deadlift
    200 OHP

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does it matter? You've asked this question multiple times and have done nothing with the information you've been given.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Does it matter? You've asked this question multiple times and have done nothing with the information you've been given.
    BB.com forums in a nutshell, keep asking until you get the answer you wanted to hear.
    OP my dude at 380lbs the last thing you need to worry about is muscle making you bulkier. Go revisit one of your several other threads and actually follow the advice you were given. Repeatedly posting the same or similar posts will just end up getting you banned or frustrating the people who actually took time to respond to you.
    To summarize: Lift weights and eat in a caloric deficit
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lifting weights does burn calories but that's not why you should do it. When losing weight lifting weights helps retain lean body mass so that you're losing fat instead of muscle. Take it from a guy that lost 60lbs, you definitely want to do it.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    After looking back into my Px I've seen nothing where I asked this before.

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    BB.com forums in a nutshell, keep asking until you get the answer you wanted to hear.
    OP my dude at 380lbs the last thing you need to worry about is muscle making you bulkier. Go revisit one of your several other threads and actually follow the advice you were given. Repeatedly posting the same or similar posts will just end up getting you banned or frustrating the people who actually took time to respond to you.
    To summarize: Lift weights and eat in a caloric deficit
    Once again bulking up is not my concern. I just simply wanted to know can I burn fat by lifting weights.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Once again bulking up is not my concern. I just simply wanted to know can I burn fat by lifting weights.
    Well the answer to that is no.

You only burn fat by consuming less calories than you burn. You can burn those calories just by being alive and going about daily activities. Formal exercise might only add (on average) 5-10% extra calorie burn per day - so I doesn't have a major impact. The thing that has the MOST impact is restricting what you eat - because it's much easier to not eat 300 calories that burn it off afterwards by jogging or lifting weights.

Weight training burns less calories than cardio for similar effort levels put in.

HOWEVER, that isn't the reason we do it - we do it to prevent muscle loss and maybe even grow new muscle while losing fat. Otherwise, a good proportion of what we lose is muscle. This is bad because we shrink without our shape improving, our metabolisms get lower and we stand a greater chance of rebound fat gain.

Having said all that, if you are 380lbs, you don't need weight training yes - you probably won't lose much if any muscle until you get much leaner.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After looking back into my Px I've seen nothing where I asked this before.
    You didn't ask this EXACT question, but what about this post of yours in March 2019 didn't answer your question?

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=176908281

Either you 'get' calorie deficit or not...

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP, the fat loss comes from the calorie deficit.

Physical activity like weight lifting will increase your TDEE, raising your maintenance calories, but does not directly cause fat loss.

And as to the "bulky" part of your question, again - I wouldn't worry about that at all. You won't notice any muscle until the fat comes off anyway, but lifting weights will help you maintain whatever muscle you do have.