WSSH is on a distinguished road. (+10)

34yo male, persistent injuries

Hello all

This is my first post although I've been background lurking over the years. I've been weightlifting for the past 6-8 years fairly regularly, and on and off for the last 20. I'm 6'0", 200 lb. I'm having a lot of problems with persistent injuries lately and I just don't know what to do. I have soreness in both hips, AC pain in both shoulders, bunch of painful spots along the spine, some of which are herniated discs I'm sure. I'm in health care and a Biology/Medical Lab Science major so I would say fairly well-informed. I don't eat meat though (for almost 5 years now) for ethical reasons although I do eat fish occasionally.

After having tried reduced weights/reps, increased warm up and stretching times, chiropractor/massage, recommended exercises for people with shoulder pain, cutting out sugar, trying fish oil (gives me insomnia), Animal Flex, Orange Triad, adding magnesium powder to my water, going to the sauna after workouts, taking powdered collagen, I see no improvement in pain. In fact, since the COVID lockdown, I haven't even been to the gym for 3 weeks now and the pain has either been steady or getting worse some days. I drink 2-3 beers a week max. My latest trial is cutting out milk and dairy products. Due to the seemingly systemic nature of my joint pains - for example, I'm confused as to why my right shoulder and hip are hurting considering it was the contralateral side that I injured - I'm starting to think the problem is with my diet. Could it really be the fact that I don't eat meat catching up with me? I'm just at my wit's end and don't know what else to do. I have to shift around at night to avoid a sore hip or hurting shoulders. I sleep well though at least. Healthy otherwise. Anyone else at all with similar experience?
    Last edited by WSSH; 03-26-2020 at 01:34 PM.

SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000) SteadyFlexOnU is just really nice. (+1000)

Lightbulb

Protein is the basis of everything in your body how do you not know that? Then u wonder why its breaking down. Lol. U wanna look jacked like me and be healthy injury free then eat meat eat protein. Go kill an animal and harvest it yourself if you dont want to support the agriculture industrial complex and slaughterhouses

Originally Posted by SteadyFlexOnU View Post
    Protein is the basis of everything in your body how do you not know that? Then u wonder why its breaking down. Lol. U wanna look jacked like me and be healthy injury free then eat meat eat protein. Go kill an animal and harvest it yourself if you dont want to support the agriculture industrial complex and slaughterhouses
    I consume more than enough protein daily. Judging from your photo, I'm significantly more jacked than you. ONE of my questions is if there is something in meat specifically that I'm lacking that is not available in any of the other protein sources I consume. I am not vegan.

colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) colontos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    could be intern's disease

Originally Posted by colontos View Post
    could be intern's disease
    Could be. All I know is my injuries aren’t healing

nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WSSH View Post
    I consume more than enough protein daily. Judging from your photo, I'm significantly more jacked than you. ONE of my questions is if there is something in meat specifically that I'm lacking that is not available in any of the other protein sources I consume. I am not vegan.
    Of course there is a difference between meat and plant based proteins. If you are worried you're missing something (and you likely are if you aren't eating meat. It is hard to balance your diet as vegetarian/vegan) then you should be getting a doctor to do bloodwork and see what's missing. ALso talk to a nutritionist or dietician.
    "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally Posted by nitefeatherz View Post
    Of course there is a difference between meat and plant based proteins. If you are worried you're missing something (and you likely are if you aren't eating meat. It is hard to balance your diet as vegetarian/vegan) then you should be getting a doctor to do bloodwork and see what's missing. ALso talk to a nutritionist or dietician.
    My bloodwork is always perfect. But using bloodwork to evaluate one’s nutritional status is not the best idea. My diet is pretty varied. I eat a lot of stuff. Energy levels are great, no signs of anything missing.

Apart from the lingering joint pains that is. Then again, me and my friend mulled over this idea that what might be causing my shoulder issues is a likely herniated disc in my upper back. I say that because the day I injured it, both of my shoulders were aching and burning as if I did 2 hours of nonstop shoulder exercises (which I obviously hadn’t). And the pain would subside almost immediately if I changed my position in a way as to relieve the pressure off the disc. So what could be happening is the disc is causing tightness in the upper back muscles, which is tugging on the whole shoulder girdle and causing an imbalance, and aggravating the AC injury. Who really knows