HopeGainz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Calistenichs VS weight lifting

Not sure if this is the right forum but what is the pros and cons for both of these? Can you build serious mass with Calistenichs?

Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HopeGainz View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum but what is the pros and cons for both of these? Can you build serious mass with Calistenichs?
    When you go weighted calisthenics, you can tap out all your gains. Muscle doesn't know whether you're lifting weights or doing calisthenics, it only knows tension.To me calisthenics is more impressive, cheap, and convenient. Do you know how much it is to buy a squat rack with a full set of plates? Metal ain't cheap. And if you got a gym membership don't forget the gas money and monthly payment. It all adds up in the long run. Ain't gonna catch me in a commercial gym ever again. Also what good is benching 405 if you can't muscle up yourself over a crowd of toilet paper hungry zombies in a life or death situation? But in all seriousness, you save money on gas to go to the gym as well as time because you won't need to drive. As you know, time is money. And money is more food and more food is more gains. Also you can train just about anywhere if you have some rings with you. The carryover to athleticism is greater in my opinion than lifting weights. Most calisthenics exercises are known as closed chain exercises where you move your body through space and moving your body through space has been proven to yield superior gains with movements that involve doing so. You can always be fat and lift weights but you can never be fat and do calisthenics-that means strict pull ups, planche push ups, muscle ups, etc. Just look at the physiques of olympic gymnasts on rings. As for legs, you've got pistol squats where you can always hold a kettlebell or wear a weight vest. Need to hit shoulders? No problem. Get a set of cheap parallettes and start doing handstand push ups. You can make things a lot harder by training unilaterally in calisthenics. That means one arm pull ups and pistol squats. Last but not least, the core development you get is amazing. I'd say the core is the most important muscle group in calisthenics. Now I know a lot of people may get their panties in a bunch reading this but hey, I'm here to keep it 100 instead of pleasing them.

Check this Slavic guy out, he's straight out of Belarus. Holds world record in most muscle ups

https://youtu.be/hhbXcWtL23Y

https://youtu.be/7zQMbLhmGVo
    Last edited by Animal2692; 03-26-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Weighted calisthenics>weights anyday. Relative strength>absolute strength

BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    When you go weighted calisthenics, you can tap out all your gains. To me calisthenics is more impressive, cheap, and convenient. Do you know how much itnis to buy a squat rack with a full set of plates? Metal ain't cheap. And if you got a gym membership don't forget the gas money and monthly payment. It all adds up in the long run. Ain't gonna catch me in a commercial gym ever again. Also what good is benching 405 if you can't muscle up yourself over hot lava in a life or death situation? But in all seriousness, you save money on gas to go to the gym as well as time because you won't need to drive. Also you can train just about anywhere if you have some rings with you. The carryover to athleticism is greater in my opinion than lifting weights. Most calisthenics exercises are known as open chain exercises where you move your body through space and moving your body through space has been proven to yield superior gains with movements that involve doing so. You can always be fat and lift weights but you can never be fat and do calisthenics-that means strict pull ups, planche push ups, muscle ups, etc. Just look at the physiques of olympic gymnasts on rings. A lot of people may get bent out of shape reading this anyways but hey, I'm here to keep it 100 instead of pleasing them.
    Calisthenics exercises are closed chain, not open. Closed chain are superior you are correct about that part. There is carryover from calisthenics to weightlifting, but not the other way around.

As far as OPs question, Hannibal Lanham says yes, you can build serious strength and mass with calisthenics. And they don’t need to be weighted either.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...al-lanham/amp/

Smile

Okey cool I hit the bars since the gym is closed and I have never felt so bulletproof in my life, the pump is insane, the day after my first day of calisthenics I was so sore, a different and deeper type of sore, I realized how weak I actually am when I hit the bars and I’m actually quite strong in the gym. I think calisthenics is very underrated.

BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by HopeGainz View Post
    Okey cool I hit the bars since the gym is closed and I have never felt so bulletproof in my life, the pump is insane, the day after my first day of calisthenics I was so sore, a different and deeper type of sore, I realized how weak I actually am when I hit the bars and I’m actually quite strong in the gym. I think calisthenics is very underrated.
    Same thing happened to me, could bench 275, squat 330, deadlift 455 and row sets of 275, still couldn’t do a pull up and push ups were a struggle. I was quite surprised to say the least.

Cool

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Same thing happened to me, could bench 275, squat 330, deadlift 455 and row sets of 275, still couldn’t do a pull up and push ups were a struggle. I was quite surprised to say the least.
    Exactly

Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Animal2692 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Calisthenics exercises are closed chain, not open. Closed chain are superior you are correct about that part. There is carryover from calisthenics to weightlifting, but not the other way around.

As far as OPs question, Hannibal Lanham says yes, you can build serious strength and mass with calisthenics. And they don’t need to be weighted either.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...al-lanham/amp/
    Yeah I meant closed chain that's what it was. Thx for the correction
    Weighted calisthenics>weights anyday. Relative strength>absolute strength

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://www.amazon.com/C-Mass-Calist.../dp/B00KHGMIYI

There's a book specifically about how to bodybuild with calisthenics. It's certainly possible, whether it's the easiest way is one question, but the other question is which method you enjoy the most. Personally I enjoy barbell training more than calisthenics (when gyms are open), but each to their own, do what you enjoy
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(