baiselmareo6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Recommendations for fitness and exercise equipment?

If you had $6000-$7000 to purchase fitness and exercise equipment for your station, what would you get? Our small volunteer dept is looking at outfitting a fitness room and could use some guidance from other departments. Right now, we're definitely leaning towards a:
    - treadmill
    - recumbent bicycle (sit-down, not an upright bike)

Not sure if we should invest in an elliptical machine since we're most likely getting a treadmill and bike. Also not sure if we should purchase a home gym system (perhaps a Bowflex or another system that uses plates like the Body Solid EXM1500S, just as one example); OR should we instead look into a set of barbells and adjustable benches. A friend of mine is a barbell fanatic and insists that most exercises can be done with barbells.

Advice is always appreciated!

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Not a firefighter but

Seems like a stair climber might be a good machine to include, since that will have real-world application. In general, I'm also a big fan of rowers for total body conditioning. Concept2 is the best choice.

Outside of machines, your friend is right and free weights are a must for strength training. I'd get a power rack, FID adjustable bench, bar, plates, and set of dumbbells. Probably multiple bars and benches, since more than one person may be training at once.

Bowflex is generally junk.

Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000)
    With that budget I'd add in a functional trainer to the basic radrd mentioned. If buying new, the Inspire FT1 is my usual recommendation.