AllanK88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Full Body Workout & Protein Intake

Hi guys,

Hope some of you can help me answer a few questions regarding my current workout program and my diet.

Here’s more info about me (I live in the EU so I’m using metrics):
    Sex: Male
    Height: 171 cm
    Weight: 66 kg
    Muscle mass: 32.5 kg
    Body fat: 13 %

I used to work out 5 times a week before lockdown of gyms due to our current global situation. I did this for around 1 1/2 years. I started with a body fat or 30 %.

My goal is to reach reach a body fat of around 8 % and gain muscle at the same time.

WORKOUT PROGRAM
    Despite our current global situation, I go to work every second day (most of the time I’m alone and sometimes there’s another person) where we have our own small fitness gym that I only use.
    This allows me to continue my workout but with limited weights.

But since I only go to work every other day, I’m currently using a 3 day full body workout that I’ve put together myself based on what I’ve found online. But I’m uncertain if it’s optimal. Each workout has a HIT warmup that takes around 20-30min to complete. Here is my program…

Day 1:
    Squat - 5 x 10
    Military press - 5 x 10
    Bulgarian split squats - 4 x 8
    Flat dumbbell bench press - 5 x 10
    Dumbbell rows - 5 x 6
    Standing barbell curls - 5 x 7
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 5 x 10

Day 2:
    Squat - 5 x 10
    Deadlift - 5 x 10
    Lunges - 4 x 8
    Inverted rows - 5 x 8
    Standing dumbbell curls - 5 x 10
    Over the head tricep extension - 5 x 7
    Tricep push-up - 5 x 10

Day 3:
    Squat - 5 x 10
    Military press - 5 x 10
    Standing barbell curls - 4 x 7
    Tricep push-up - 5 x 10
    Bent over rows - 5 x 5
    Pull overs - 5 x 8
    Tricep push-up - 5 x 10
    Flat dumbbell bench press - 5 x 10

DIET
    I’m a little unsure of how much protein I should take to build muscle AND loose fat. I feel like there are millions of article and it’s difficult to pick the right one.

I primarily focus on my protein intake and don't eat bad carbs (white bread, pasta, junk food, sugar etc).

I currently eat around 130 g of protein a day. Which is essentially 2 times my body weight. But is this correct? Should I be eating more protein?

faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    okay so a couple of things i noticed right away:

- don't make your own program
    - 5 sets of each exercise seems a bit too much, maybe that's just me though
    - 20-30 minutes of HIIT is not a "warmup"
    - you cant't build muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you're a beginner - pick a goal and go with it
    - the carbs you mentioned aren't necessarily bad, but not beneficial either if you're cutting
    - 130g of protein is fine for you
    positive crew

Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pretty light and low ~BF%. You're going to have trouble with the whole "recomp" thing as I'm assuming you have a decent lifting history considering you own a small fitness center. However, some of your questions indicate otherwise (not meant to be negative, being relatively new to training is fine).

Agreed with Faith, even if you're not a beginner, and even if your overall sets per week isn't insanely high, I think your single session sets are overkill and you may find you won't be progressing as much as a routine that has you doing less in one session, especially with 30mins of high intensity intervals before. But if you're progressing and not experiencing issues, then I may be wrong.

Do you struggle getting through each session from fatigue and sustained intensity standpoint? One thing you need to ask yourself is, can I commit to this program for life? It's better to start at the lowest amount of work possible to elicit the most change and overload from there due to adaptations that take place from the beginning of your program. If you throw everything and the kitchen sink at your body in the beginning AND able to sustain it, sure you're going to see some amazing progress, but you're essentially digging yourself a hole in respect to progressive overload. You WILL reach a point where you won't be able to get through the workout if you're continuing to increase load or volume week-to-week AND/OR you're going to reach a point in your sessions where you're going to run into diminishing returns with such high volume because of a number of factors.

I would suggest cutting down the volume per session in the beginning and overloading from there.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

Thanks for your response

- you're right. I will try to find a full body workout plan online that other people can attest to
    - the amount of sets are dure to the limited weights we have at work. I usually do fewer sets but with bigger weights
    - I will only focus on losing fat for now

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    okay so a couple of things i noticed right away:

- don't make your own program
    - 5 sets of each exercise seems a bit too much, maybe that's just me though
    - 20-30 minutes of HIIT is not a "warmup"
    - you cant't build muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you're a beginner - pick a goal and go with it
    - the carbs you mentioned aren't necessarily bad, but not beneficial either if you're cutting
    - 130g of protein is fine for you

Hi thanks for you response

You make a bunch of valid points here. I will be adjusting my program based on both of your advices

Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Pretty light and low ~BF%. You're going to have trouble with the whole "recomp" thing as I'm assuming you have a decent lifting history considering you own a small fitness center. However, some of your questions indicate otherwise (not meant to be negative, being relatively new to training is fine).

Agreed with Faith, even if you're not a beginner, and even if your overall sets per week isn't insanely high, I think your single session sets are overkill and you may find you won't be progressing as much as a routine that has you doing less in one session, especially with 30mins of high intensity intervals before. But if you're progressing and not experiencing issues, then I may be wrong.

Do you struggle getting through each session from fatigue and sustained intensity standpoint? One thing you need to ask yourself is, can I commit to this program for life? It's better to start at the lowest amount of work possible to elicit the most change and overload from there due to adaptations that take place from the beginning of your program. If you throw everything and the kitchen sink at your body in the beginning AND able to sustain it, sure you're going to see some amazing progress, but you're essentially digging yourself a hole in respect to progressive overload. You WILL reach a point where you won't be able to get through the workout if you're continuing to increase load or volume week-to-week AND/OR you're going to reach a point in your sessions where you're going to run into diminishing returns with such high volume because of a number of factors.

I would suggest cutting down the volume per session in the beginning and overloading from there.