Gareth1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need a cheap(ish) home setup

Well the gym has shut and I’m already in a panic as to how I’m going to still relatively fit

Can someone give me some advice on dumbbells? Is there a reason the adjustable all in 1 types aren’t a good choice? And if they are can someone point me in the direction of a good (and cheap) set that go up to at least 40kg. That I can get in Britain

Only other option seems to be to rent them but that would be almost £100 a month just for a bench and dumbbells.

Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want an adjustable set, Powerblocks and Ironmasters are the standard recommendations. If you want some basic handles and plates though, those can be had for far less. Regardless of which route you go, the used market (e.g. Facebook Marketplace) is your best bet to find a deal.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cheapest option i'd say as far as dumbbells go, is to get some standard handles and some standard plates. Try and get the handles with solid/smooth ends, not threaded - because those can scratch up the hole and damage the plates over time. 14" is a good width if you're not using a lot of weight yet, but when you do - i'd invest in 20" handles(or better yet keep both width handles around for when you need shorter or longer for the exercise you're doing). Also, some of the black collars with the T-key for tightening are very effective and hold plates on well. Muscle clamps are faster, but won't be as commonly available on used markets. Much of what you can do with dumbbells don't require a bench, so i'd get one after getting your dumbbells first. Look around for a flat/incline/decline adjustable bench, for the most versatility. Check weight rating on the bench to find out what it can support in flat, incline, and decline before buying. You may want to get something you can use for dumbbell stands, to make benchpresses easier - but it's optional and you can get by without them. That about covers it for the less expensive side of dumbbell setups, good luck!
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261