pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz

Post 💻 Staying Safe from the Coronavirus Online 💻

No, you can't transmit coronavirus digitally, however, there has been an uptick in phishing emails, online scams, and fraudulent supplements being sold to try and con an unsuspecting and frightened public into falling for this. Here are a few helpful tips I got from my anti-virus company, along with the FTC.

Just got this email from my antivirus company.

To our Webroot community,

Hackers often use popular news topics and fear to increase the chances that victims will open phishing emails, hand over sensitive credentials, and download computer viruses or other malware.

COVID-19, also known as the novel coronavirus, is on everyone’s mind right now. As people try to learn more and protect themselves from this pandemic, cybercriminals are taking advantage.

How to stay cyber-safe:
    • Find information about COVID-19 at the official sites of the World Health Organization (WHO) or the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC).
    • To protect yourself against viruses, malware, and other threats that can come from a phishing attack, ensure your antivirus protection is up to date on all your devices.
    • Be very suspicious of requests for personal information that occur via email, phone, text message, or social media message.

What NOT to do:
    • Don’t open emails about COVID-19 from unknown senders, don’t click on links in emails regarding COVID-19, and be wary of email attachments, especially from unknown senders. These can all be used in phishing scams to steal your personal data or spread computer viruses and malware.
    • Do not click on ads or social media posts regarding COVID-19. They may be fake and contain malicious content.

To learn more about how to stay safe from phishing, read our blog post.

Stay safe, online and offline.

- The Webroot Team
    Link to blog post:
    https://www.webroot.com/blog/2020/03...ng-a-pandemic/

NOTE: It is very hard to tell a phishing scam on a smart phone, since you can't see the actual URL you are clicking on. I use McAfee Mobile Security (free version) for my Android. If anyone has any other recommendations for Mac or iOS, please PM/tweet/email them to me.

A couple of things you can do to avoid phishing scams are the following:
    • Install the Web of Trust browser extension. This extension keeps extensive lists of known/scam & phishing sites and will warn you if you try and visit one.
    • Install the Netcraft browser extension. Again, this is also highly effective against phishing attacks
    • OpenDNS OpenDNS maintains an extensive database of phishing sites and once you create an account you can customize it to filter out even more malicious web traffic.
    • Comodo DNS like OpenDNS, Comodo has filters to block out phishing and other content.
    • Keep your browser up to date! This is one of the most important things to do. Just go to help, about and your browser will check and make sure it's up to date and then prompt you to relaunch. Your browser will auto-update on it's own, but this makes sure you have the latest one installed.
    • Keep your operating system up to date! Again, this is done automatically, but you can always check and make sure. For Windows, click the start button, click the settings (gear icon) and navigate to Update & Security. For Mac Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then click Software Update to check for updates. If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them.

I also received this email from the FTC about coronavirus scams and scam treatments.

Coronavirus: Scammers follow the headlines

Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding the Coronavirus. They’re setting up websites to sell bogus products, and using fake emails, texts, and social media posts as a ruse to take your money and get your personal information.

The emails and posts may be promoting awareness and prevention tips, and fake information about cases in your neighborhood. They also may be asking you to donate to victims, offering advice on unproven treatments, or contain malicious email attachments.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...llow-headlines

There is also a part 2

FTC: Coronavirus scams, Part 2

Last month, we alerted you to Coronavirus scams we were seeing at the time. Earlier this month, we sent warning letters to seven sellers of scam Coronavirus treatments. So far, all of the companies have made big changes to their advertising to remove unsupported claims. But scammers don’t take a break. Here’s an update on more scams we’re seeing, and steps you can take to protect yourself, your personal information, and your wallet.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...s-scams-part-2

💲💲💲With so many people out of work, be on the lookout for job offer scams like becoming an inadvertent money mule as well as work at home scams and other bogus business opportunities.💲💲💲

UPDATE: 3/28 - More from the FTC

Lt's dizzying, the amount of information out there about the Coronavirus. You’re dealing with story after story online and through social media, television, radio, and in newspapers and magazines — each with its own take — at all hours of the day and night, from all around the world.

So how can we sort out what’s real and what’s not?

You already know to go to Coronavirus.gov for medical information and usa.gov/coronavirus to see what the federal government is doing. Your local government and health department have the best information about what people in your area can (and can't) do. And the Federal Trade Commission has great information on the wide variety of Coronavirus scams. Good. But it’s still a lot.

Thinking critically about Coronavirus news and information

Also! if you plan on donating to a charity for coronavirus, check the following websites for their validity:

Also, please make sure you're running a quality antivirus! There are plenty of free ones I've listed below

I personally use Webroot Secure Anywhere AntiVirus 2020 ($20), along with MalwareBytes Premium 2020 (which protects against web exploits, malware, ransomwear and other PUP exploits ($40) (or the free version available here), and CryptoPrevent (free & premium versions - $15/yr available. CryptoPrevent will block ransomwear and other software that attempts to encrypt your HDD to make you pay a ransom to get it back. I highly recommend the free download if nothing else.

Free AntiVirus (PC Only)
    • Avast AntiVirus Free - "The malware protection in Avast Free Antivirus is a peg down from the best free antivirus software, but it's got the best assortment of extra goodies for a free program, including a password manager, a hardened browser and a network scanner. The program is also very customizable and offers limited access to Avast's VPN service. However, it caused a pretty heavy system load in our testing." Full Review
    • Panda Free Anti-Virus - The new Panda Free Antivirus provides the easiest-to-use and most intuitive protection for your computer. Install it and forget about viruses, spyware, root-kits, hackers and online fraud. Panda Free Antivirus will make the best decisions for you to keep your PC protected. Panda Free Antivirus provides essential protection against spyware, phishing (online fraud), root-kits (stealth techniques) and banker Trojans. Real-time protection provides you with complete protection against known and unknown viruses. Chat, share photos and videos, shop online, read your favorite blogs or simply browse the Web with complete peace of mind and without interruption.
    • Sophos Home - Sophos IT security software is now available for private users. Sophos Home is a commercial antivirus that delivers real-time protection from the ransomware, malicious software and other forms of hacking. This user-friendly program will allow you to secure your own device or manage the security of multiple devices. These devices can belong to you or to those closest to you. So, it is not necessary that Sophos-installed devices are under one roof.
    • BitDefender Anti-Virus - Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has been designed from ground up towards enabling you to do whatever you enjoy doing most with your computer, while staying 100% safe from e-threats. Bitdefender uses its own proprietary technologies, while also improving on basic ones which it then integrates for maximum protection.
    • AVG Anti-Virus - Good ole AVG AV. Not the best, but better than nothing.
    • Kaspersky Free - Kaspersky is a good antivirus, but there are some unfortunate rumblinglings that it is operated by the Russian FSB (previously KGB). The State Dept. has banned any government run computers from using it. However, it works in a pinch and includes a password manager and VPN.
    • Avira Free Anti-Virus - Get award-winning antivirus protection that runs silently in the background to secure your data, protect your privacy, and keep your PC malware-free. It’s simple to use – just download and install, then sit back and relax… you’re protected for life! And it’s fast and light, so it doesn’t slow down your browsing experience.

I don't know much about Mac, and although there are very few viruses for Mac, you are still susceptible to spam, phishing and web based exploits, which MalwareBytes would help with. Other than that, it appears that most of the same anti-virus companies that make free versions for PC also make them for Mac.
    https://www.techradar.com/best/best-...virus-software

PLEASE NOTE! This is NOT the place to discussion the coronavirus. Please post either in the scientific thread or the conspiratorial thread for that information. This is SPECIFICALLY for technical discussions related to PCs/Macs/Smartphones.
    Last edited by pogue; 03-28-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Vexidi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    inb4 Nigerian toilet paper prince

pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Vexidi View Post
    inb4 Nigerian toilet paper prince
    I don't neg/infract/ban if you disagree with me in a civil discussion on any topic. ☮️
    Old blog, articles are still good even though many URLs are broken: http://pogue972.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter! I post lots of interesting stuff: https://twitter.com/pogue25 🐤
    I prefer email or Twitter for contact. However, you can PM me. My email is listed below.
    Email: http://scr.im/pogue 📧
    Required Reading: http://bit.ly/CandleinTheDark 🕯️

Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fang2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just don't open emails from kunts I don't know
    If your left leg is Thanksgiving and your right leg is Christmas, can I visit you between the holidays?

KC Chiefs crew

Originally Posted by Fang2 View Post
    I just don't open emails from kunts I don't know
    Well, hopefully you are at least using an anti-virus. There are plenty of free ones out there.
    I don't neg/infract/ban if you disagree with me in a civil discussion on any topic. ☮️
    Old blog, articles are still good even though many URLs are broken: http://pogue972.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter! I post lots of interesting stuff: https://twitter.com/pogue25 🐤
    I prefer email or Twitter for contact. However, you can PM me. My email is listed below.

I'm really 47(no default) RICHSTRONG's Avatar
    RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RICHSTRONG has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pogue View Post
    Well, hopefully you are at least using an anti-virus. There are plenty of free ones out there.
    I rub down my Commodore 64 with hand sanitizer bro...I'm good
    Founder of <HTC> [Hi Test Crew]
    HTC Legionem autem multi sumus (Latin)

We are HTC Legion For we are many

2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2RDEYE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RICHSTRONG View Post
    I rub down my Commodore 64 with hand sanitizer bro...I'm good
    i rub down my commodore with lotion and utilize that toilet paper i hoarded to clean up
    There is only one Hell: the one we live in now.

smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smashedurgfx10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In.

Also We really need a corona virus meme akin to poverty ghost.

Something like 'you have been visited by the covid-19. bat meat and respiratory ailments will befall you unless you post Stay quarantined poverty corona in this thread
    Motorcycle Crew
    Beard Crew
    Would rather kill myself instead of shaving beard off crew (srs)

propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) propreffered7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the other day i think i got an email from a pretty intensive scam. i got an alert at one of my emails that someone signed into my account on another email. it had the logo and everything.

at the time, i just didn't want to deal with it, so i was going to check. a link in the email sent me to a log in and i was like.. wait a second. a step seems off

that was when i was like.. shiattt.. i bet the scam is me inserting my account info and everything there

it went to the extent of showing the ip address and country of origin as well

Originally Posted by propreffered7 View Post
    the other day i think i got an email from a pretty intensive scam. i got an alert at one of my emails that someone signed into my account on another email. it had the logo and everything.

at the time, i just didn't want to deal with it, so i was going to check. a link in the email sent me to a log in and i was like.. wait a second. a step seems off

that was when i was like.. shiattt.. i bet the scam is me inserting my account info and everything there

it went to the extent of showing the ip address and country of origin as well
    Those are the kids of emails that would be helpful if you can report them (with full headers) to your bank (normally it's spoof @ nameoffinancialinstitution.com - here's an older list of spam reporting email addresses) as well as to the Dept of Homeland Security, the Phish Bowl, and PhishTank, SpamCop as well as these other resources listed on phishing.org

If you don't know how to get the full text (including headers) of the email, let me know what email client you use and I'll find you a guide.

UPDATE: And oh, don't forget to freeze your credit report which can help these people get access to your accounts.
    Last edited by pogue; 03-20-2020 at 05:22 PM.

ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    All of these are always good tips but especially good to keep an eye on older people in your family who might be on-edge and more likely to get sucked in. Good thing to remind people about, pogue.

Also, I do keep getting ads promising me $50 sales on Bowflex SelectTech adjustable DBs from weird shopify stores now. Seems like there's some keyword tracking ads out there for cheap deals on products that in severe shortages, which you're obviously never going to receive.
    "I will respond by saying that it is you who is the dumbass." - Wincel, 6/20/19

Added some more info from the FTC. Never heard back from any Mac/iOS users about security tools for those systems.