BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Getting strength back after months away...how do I do it?

Hello everyone,

Im 37 years old and I have been lifting since I was 20. At my peak I was deadlifting around 500 and benching around 300. Im 5'10" and 195lbs. For the past 6 months Ive been unable to lift for a variety of reasons. When I stopped I was deadlifting around 400 and benching 260. Now I can barely deadlift 330 and bench 220. How can I get my strength back? What kind of a workout plan should I he following? If my current one rep deadlift max is around 330, what would a good workout set look like? Bench? Is it possible for someone my age to reach new personal records (>500lbs) starting from this weak point? Thanks in advance!
    Squat- 350 lbs

Bench- 280 lbs

Deadlift- 435 lbs

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BSideleau View Post
    Hello everyone,

Im 37 years old and I have been lifting since I was 20. At my peak I was deadlifting around 500 and benching around 300. Im 5'10" and 195lbs. For the past 6 months Ive been unable to lift for a variety of reasons. When I stopped I was deadlifting around 400 and benching 260. Now I can barely deadlift 330 and bench 220. How can I get my strength back? What kind of a workout plan should I he following? If my current one rep deadlift max is around 330, what would a good workout set look like? Bench? Is it possible for someone my age to reach new personal records (>500lbs) starting from this weak point? Thanks in advance!
    Start from scratch. Many of us have had to do that. I've had to do it twice.

Don't worry, it will come back. If you're an experienced lifter, you have several options open to you. You can go back to a strength-building novice program for a while, which should work pretty rapidly. You can start a hypertrophy program with lighter weights, that will give the muscles a growth foundation and get the joints strengthed up so they'll be prepared for when you go heavier.

Don't worry. It will come back faster than you fear. 37 is not old. You can definitely have new PR's ahead of you. Just buckle down and do what you used to do, but with better consistency, diet, and attitude.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thank you! That is very helpful and inspiring. I think I need to let go of the "ego" aspect of lifting and just concentrating on doing things correctly from the ground up.
    Squat- 350 lbs

Bench- 280 lbs

Deadlift- 435 lbs

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program" is simple and effective.
    You start this program at 80% of your one rep max.
    It's a patient man's program for a longer period of time than other programs.
    It works up to a point but eventually you'll have to change up but for your particular case i think it would work well.
    Do a search.

Rebelling in my psychosis thegymbum's Avatar
    thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000)
    I’d say that since you’ve built up to amazing strength levels in the past, you do have to know how to do this! I think the most important thing to add onto you existing training knowledge is that patience is key. You can’t focus on “but I could lift __ last year, I need to push harder/faster and get back there...”, but take it slow, one day at a time. I’ve definitely been in your shoes, and I’ve learned the hard way that if you don’t take it slow and be patient with your progress, you’re highly likely to end up injured and getting set back even further. Good luck!