Registered User 1horsmanatatime's Avatar
    1horsmanatatime is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Herniated disc at (L5-S1) with sciatica. Considering surgery

Just wanted to share my current situation. If you ever been in a similar position and got cured, please, do share.

25 years old male otherwise healthy without overweight.

I got my MRI done. 7mm L5-S1 disc herniation pushing on the sciatic nerve.

The symptoms:
    1. Feet feel cold and hot at the same time, numb and hypersensitive.
    2 Calves are very tense
    3 Left buttock is tense too but mildly
    4. Very mild occasional back pain at the very bottom near the sacrum.

The neurologist advised physiotherapy.

A month-long PT suite while off work(PT in the water and not, massage, hot towel therapy, ultrasound)
    Continued doing Mcgills Big 3 and walking at least an hour daily afterward. McKenzie's back extensions were included as well.
    Trying to put no stress on the back. Ergonomic chair and desk, no lifting, no gym, no running.

Been in this situation for nearly 4 months now and I feel like I have exhausted my options.
    I am starting to feel like someone skinned the skin of my feet and they are on fire.
    The symptoms are getting worse and I feel my legs are getting weaker even tho I am following the PT procedures.

Did anyone continue doing the PT and exercises in this condition?
    I am starting to worry that I will damage my sciatic nerve for good if I stay in this state.
    I have read a lot about microdiscectomy and it sounds like salvation on paper and lots of success stories on this forum as well.
    People even get back to the gym.

I have scheduled an appointment with the neurosurgeon.

jabalv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi,

I think I'm in really similar position. I do have bulging disc, not yet herniated. I have similar sensation as you wrote in legs and buttock.
    What I recommend is to try other physiotherapists too. I tried few and they all told different stories to me. Some saying - surgery, some denies surgery as it even worsen things and your agility in future!
    So try few to come to right conclusion.

I think surgery is last step and it could not solve your problem as well.
    My problem I have for years, so I can't solve it in one day. I need at least 6 months.
    So ask yourself, did you really did all your exercises with 100% in those 4 months?

I can say honestly I didn't. So that's why problem is still there.

I'm trying to find good routine and work really hard now on my exercises, posture, lifestyle. Cause that's the only reason why I am and you are in your situation. Rare cases are when people getting into car crash or so where surgery is of course immediately needed!

jabalv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What about your vitamins? Food? Try to think about those aspects too. They could really improve your lifestyle, you will have more energy to do exercises and your procedures with 100%

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Which country do you live in? The medical focus of the world is somewhat occupied on other things at the moment. Depending on how it is dealing with the pandemic things like elective surgeries may not even be possible in the near term (and by near term I mean this year).