UlrikN123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice for PURE strength

Hello powerlifters,

I'm looking for the (assumingly) most fitting and optimal powerlifting program for me, to hit a set of goals for the big 3 lifts.

Here's some info about me:I'm 20 years old, height at 6"5, weight at 247 lbs and I would guess my bodyfat to be around 20%I have these current max lifts ->Bench = 292 lbs, Squat = 402 lbs and Deadlift = 419 lbs

My goal is to Bench = 353 lbs, Squat = 462 lbs and Deadlift = 562 lbs and my goal is to do this in about 1 year and 3-4 months of time. Yes, it's gonna be difficult, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to reach that goal!

I have been training on and off since I was probably 14 years old, but have only trained "serious" without total break longer than 1-2 weeks in about 3 years which doesn't include deloads in of course.

I have trained mostly for hypertrophy the whole time, though with fewer reps in the big lifts, most of the time in 3-5 sets with 3-6 reps, and then a ****ton of other exercises for hypertrophy since I both want to get big and at the same time strong. So I have never really gone all-in on the powerlifting side of things. But now my goals have changed and I simply want to get a strong mother****er.

I'm a bit unsure of whether I need to go with an intermediate powerlifting program or a novice one, since I'm unsure of whether I can progress with linear progression at this time.

Therefore I would like to hear you guys' opinion on this matter.

Thank you if you are reading and I hope you'll take the time to write an answer

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I really think in terms of base building, 7 sets of 3 with a weight about 80-85 percent of 1RM is a real good program to run for 12 weeks. Keep your rest to about 90-120 seconds between sets. If sets 6 and 7 are easy its time to raise the weight. I would do a lot of arm accessary work and hamstring work as well.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anything RTS based.

the current kings and queens of powerlifting are all either RTS disciples, or Joey Flexx trainees.
    RTS is more accessible and cheaper than Flexx templates, and more customisable

don't worry about novice vs intermediate.

check
    reactive training systems website
    barbell medicines youtube and website
    calgary barbell youtube and free 16 week program

Greg Nuckols also recently dropped average to savage 2 which is a repeatable 21 program that's only a 5 dollar minimum donation

Do nots for powerlifting:

most 531 templates, particularly older ones
    random splits that are just exercise lists and not full programming
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

UlrikN123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for the suggestions, I'm currently thinking about RTS Intermediate, Calgary 8 / 16 Weeks or Canditos 6 Weeks program, what would you have done if you were me?

I have also been wondering, whether it would be a smart idea to run a different progression scheme for the deadlift, when I have to increase my 1RM by 143lbs. That could be something like Ed Coan's 10 Week Deadlift, og Mag / Ort deadlift?
    Last edited by UlrikN123; 03-19-2020 at 02:43 AM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by UlrikN123 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions, I'm currently thinking about RTS Intermediate, Calgary 8 / 16 Weeks or Canditos 6 Weeks program, what would you have done if you were me?

I have also been wondering, whether it would be a smart idea to run a different progression scheme for the deadlift, when I have to increase my 1RM by 143lbs. That could be something like Ed Coan's 10 Week Deadlift, og Mag / Ort deadlift?
    I wouldn't run anything separate for deadlift as long as you main program has adequate dead lift volume, which most of those, but particularly TGIP and Calgary have a fair bit of
    Try Calgary 8 week, will give you a decent taste for modern RTS training, the generalised intermediate program is very outdated, and you'll need to do a bit of research to grasp current methodology.

This is a great place to start, run Calgary while learning a bit more RTS then you can decide whether to start implementing emerging strategies
    2018 Log

randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I wouldn't run anything separate for deadlift as long as you main program has adequate dead lift volume, which most of those, but particularly TGIP and Calgary have a fair bit of
    Try Calgary 8 week, will give you a decent taste for modern RTS training, the generalised intermediate program is very outdated, and you'll need to do a bit of research to grasp current methodology.

This is a great place to start, run Calgary while learning a bit more RTS then you can decide whether to start implementing emerging strategies
    Thanks for posting this, it is interesting.

Originally Posted by randomcrash View Post
    Thanks for posting this, it is interesting.
    No problem
    2018 Log

randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000) randomcrash is just really nice. (+1000)
    @WolfRose7
    They skipped over something in the beginning of the video, and I am not really sure I understand how to implement the emerging strategy approach. Say I am recording my weight on squat doing triples at RPE 8. I assume I have to work up to a max, so I keep adding weight and doing sets until I hit an RPE 8 and then stop and write down the number. I have an issue with this.

You have to pretty much know what your RPE 8 lift is on your final set so you know what weight to use on the previous sets, but then you are kind of fitting yourself into a box and aren't really performing your true RPE 8 lift at the end. Unless you let the number of sets be variable, but then you vary the training significantly day-to-day if your number of sets varies and that adds noise that can obscure the signal.

Originally Posted by randomcrash View Post
    @WolfRose7
    They skipped over something in the beginning of the video, and I am not really sure I understand how to implement the emerging strategy approach. Say I am recording my weight on squat doing triples at RPE 8. I assume I have to work up to a max, so I keep adding weight and doing sets until I hit an RPE 8 and then stop and write down the number. I have an issue with this.

You have to pretty much know what your RPE 8 lift is on your final set so you know what weight to use on the previous sets, but then you are kind of fitting yourself into a box and aren't really performing your true RPE 8 lift at the end. Unless you let the number of sets be variable, but then you vary the training significantly day-to-day if your number of sets varies and that adds noise that can obscure the signal.
    You have a target weight. But you work up, and adjust based on the work ups.

Say you are going for 1 @8. You think that's 150kg

Uou warm up normally up to about 130 @6, you take 140 expecting @7. It was @7.5 so you take a smaller jump and hit 145 @8.
    Or it was @8 you stop at 140.
    Or.. It was still @6, you hit 150@7 and then jump again for your true @8.

The same holds true for any target. 5@8 you work up 5@6, 5@7, 5@8.

And then you do your back offs based off the actual weight hit.

Another method Greg Nuckols uses in average to savage 2 is to have a rep and rpe target and let the sets autoregulate. And progression or degress is based off number of sets hit.
    2018 Log

I get it now, thanks.