carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Building up Cardio Endurance

Can you build up your cardio by doing anaerobic exercise like tennis, short sprints or dodgeball ect or do you have to do 30 minutes at your target heart rate every day?

Thanks,
    CK
    Language and writing were also made available, the poetry of Khitai, the philosophy of Sung; and he also came to know the pleasures of women, when he was bred to the finest stock.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you do 1000 reps with a light dumbbell that is one type of stress that will encourage one set of adaptions

If you do some heavy singles, that's a different type of stress that can encourage a different set of adaptions

It's sort of a bit similar with cardio. The type of stress (and adaptions) from low intensity steady state (LISS) for long periods are not the same type of stress (and adaptions) as short super intense HIIT/ tabata.

Mostly everyone needs a bit of both LISS and intervals in their training, what proportion of each depends on the person's goals.

As an inexact rule of thumb, try to make your LISS sessions 45 minutes or longer to get the LISS type of stimulation and so hopefully the adaptions. If 45 minutes is a long time then keep the intensity low enough you can complete the time. Also occasionally doing some tabata type training and some in the middle type 30 minutes sessions are also good.

Do you have a specific goal?
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 03-15-2020 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Spellings
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(

carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbkilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My goal is good cardio health, just don't know if I'm getting it playing pickleball.

CK
    Language and writing were also made available, the poetry of Khitai, the philosophy of Sung; and he also came to know the pleasures of women, when he was bred to the finest stock.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you've no specific goal, why not just increase any/all cardio for the things you enjoy doing
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(

Registered User Eternalstuden79's Avatar
    Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want to be good at Low Intensity exersise then build that up.

A lot of low intensity work is done to increase CV system.

I do 3 x per week.
    1 - interval set (6 sets of 5 each set is 30 sec on 30 sec off) with a 5 min recuperation inbetweeen. I do this on a watt bike (or running) wattbike means I can easily monitor, so my sprint sets are done at 115rpm rest is rest, 5 min interval is 80rpm.
    2 - Fast 30 min. This is done in zone 4 HR
    3 - Long and slow 2 hr run or bike, or Ruck / Tab (depending on contry your from :-) )

This builds up my CV in a non- sport spercific manner which allows me to continue my chosen sport.

Originally Posted by Eternalstuden79 View Post
    ...I do 3 x per week.
    1 - interval.. ...
    2 - Fast 30 min... ...
    3 - Long and slow ... ...or Ruck / Tab....
    I actually I'm trying to do pretty much the same
    Tue: Intervals, Thurs: ~30 min general work, Sat: LISS (sadly don't have much spare time, so no 2 hour Tab for me)

dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've been doing crossfit for the last 8 months or so, because of that I'm obscenely fit in short sharp intervals. I can go balls to the wall for anything between 4-20 minutes, but send me out on a 10K+ run and its a different matter.

For me to achieve all round fitness I need to focus more on the LISS stuff.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I play hockey 2 times per week in the winter, and it does not do much for Cardio because there are too many stoppages and substitutions from the bench. I need something else.

For me the most effective;

Walking, preferably carrying some weight in a backpack...start light, at least 30 minutes 4 or 5 times per week. There is a whole other fitness genre called "rucking"...look it up.

Skipping rope, do it in intervals of a few minutes at a time with only small rests..just barely enough to catch your breath....a session for like 20-30 minutes.

Cycling of any type. I like road-cycling because you can cover a lot of ground but no so fast that you miss stuff , this is fun especially if enjoy exploring the area you live in.

I would guess that Soccer would be a good one, as they are always moving up and down the field, but no personal experience with this.
    Strength + Cardio + Proprioception = dominance

x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) x-trainer ben has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by carbkilla View Post
    Can you build up your cardio by doing anaerobic exercise like tennis, short sprints or dodgeball ect or do you have to do 30 minutes at your target heart rate every day?

Thanks,
    CK
    I have found that intervals makes you good at intervals and long slow jogging makes you good at jogging without stopping.
    I bought into the hype but it did not transfer to long slow runs.
    Your experience may vary of course.
    sums it up a thread will start off promising and then turn into name calling..
    The easiest way to tell when an argument has no merit is when the protagonist mixes in some personal insults.

Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dazlittle View Post
    . . . but send me out on a 10K+ run and its a different matter.
    My goto mode of cardio is riding my bike. I'll usually take ~three 11 mile rides per week as long as it's above freezing, and this keeps me in good shape from a cardio standpoint (e.g., able to run up a couple flights of stairs and not be winded). With that said, on a whim last year I wanted to see if my biking cardio transferred over to running cardio. It did (sort of), as I was able to run a 5K with sub-9 minute miles (which is fairly fast for someone who is naturally slow), BUT here's what I wasn't expecting: my legs were extremely sore for about a week!!! Someone posted a similar experience on Lyle McDonald's Facebook page and he said that it was because biking has no eccentric portion and running does (makes perfect sense in HIND SIGHT!).

Another observation of mine is that my cardio fitness can improve or diminish in as little as three weeks. Meaning that I can go from de-trained to biking my normal 11 mile "loop" in near record times within three weeks OR can revert back to not being able to run up a couple flights of stairs without feeling winded within three weeks of not being able to ride my bike.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

I've been doing crossfit ...
    Negged!

Just kidding

dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Negged!

Just kidding
    Lol I can take take a neg or two!!! on the upside I'm still a member of two "normal" gyms so I still pick things up and put them down again on the regular.

Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eternalstuden79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I actually I'm trying to do pretty much the same
    Tue: Intervals, Thurs: ~30 min general work, Sat: LISS (sadly don't have much spare time, so no 2 hour Tab for me)
    Time is the demon of so much. I have to force myself to do it.

So I did my Tab today, 3 hrs on the Fan Dance with my pup. It does his and my cardio for the week :-)

(It was a lot easier when pup competed, as we had to do the work!! now we do it so he stays happy picture hopefully attached of Tab'ing with my wee monster just because ! )
    Attached Images

Wow that looks a heavy dog, you must have to feed him! A lovely part of the world

Originally Posted by Eternalstuden79 View Post
    Time is the demon of so much. I have to force myself to do it.

So I did my Tab today, 3 hrs on the Fan Dance with my pup. It does his and my cardio for the week :-)

(It was a lot easier when pup competed, as we had to do the work!! now we do it so he stays happy picture hopefully attached of Tab'ing with my wee monster just because ! )
    Is that Pen y Fan?
    Beauty of a dog, I've had 3 rotties.

Is that Pen y Fan?
    Beauty of a dog, I've had 3 rotties.
    Thanks, Rotties are out and out the best pups ever. Big bouncy and fit as hell.

No that is Ben Eigh in Torridon West Coast of Scotland. It's part of the run route for the Celtman Tri.

The Fan was miserable whether so no phot's

Wow that looks a heavy dog, you must have to feed him! A lovely part of the world
    At his peak he was 120lbs of muscle and bone :-)
    Since we stopped competing we have slimmed him down to about 100lbs which is still a fairly hefty lump.

This is him after a swim (we would do about 1km each session during the summer months when it was to hot run)
    And
    In his chosen prefered natural habitat for racing
    Attached Images

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some type of interval training will help.
    Doing something hard,active rest,then repeat for 15-20 minutes.
    HIIT at it's best.