Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    No worries; don't feel bad about posting it. I'd rather everyone post everything they think is relevant so it can be discussed and various questionable points can be clarified.
    Well this is interesting. Newer article...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-then-positive
    The power of carbs compels me!

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Well this is interesting. Newer article...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-then-positive
    I had no idea China is not counting asymptomatic patients as being cases! That changes all of the numbers. I do not think people are getting reinfected; I think it's more likely the test sensitivity is just subpar and there are residual virus particles. Whether they are still infection after the last positive test after a negative I have no idea.

Article on how South Korea did such a good job: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...H3VYihImD__TBw

Another document with a treatment pathway: https://www.massgeneral.org/assets/M...cz1QZQEr8iZBls

Pretty graph showing 8 strains of COVID-19 circulating the globe. Keep in mind the overall mutation rate is LOW and there is no evidence to my knowledge that these are clinically or immunologically distinct. So while this is great to track the spread I would still think of COVID-19 clinically as one single strain (unless more evidence comes out showing these are indeed distinct in some way). https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mY_zQlbwNnfROI

There seems to be less air pollution with everything shut down; will be really interesting to see how the environment changes in the short term if any: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/how-...z_G1zAl6uQvgRE

Recently an emergency medicine doctor was fired for being outspoken about his hospital's unsafe working conditions. The American Academy of Emergency Medicine is supporting him fully. https://www.aaem.org/resources/state...eoS2F4XdsolJRo

A New York doctor's warning for the rest of the country: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...2tTbtWqQ9VD8sg

And to summarize where we are; we're at >2,200 deaths in the US. Hospitals are being overrun with COVID-19 patients in the hot spots. Most of us suspect there will be many more hotspots throughout the country in the coming weeks. This still likely will not peak in New York for another couple of weeks and in other places for 1-2 months. Many places still do not have enough tests for everyone and many work places are still lacking in personal protective equipment. I cannot overstate how angry healthcare personnel are across the country regarding these two issues. Many have completely lost faith in the CDC after their above noted guidance that people can use a bandana as a mask as a last resort (hint... this does not work). There are several hospitals where people are being told to NOT use PPE as much as typically would be used to help not incite panic and to help conserve resources... this has not gone over well with the people who are actually in the front lines and being exposed. In general people take advantage of healthcare workers all the time as most of us are altruistic and put our patients/families needs over our own but I really hope when this is all over something is done on a large scale to demand safe working conditions for us. The healthcare workers who are getting COVID-19 seem to be hit fairly hard (though this could just selection bias... too early to state with certainty) presumably due to higher viral load at exposure. I realize a lot of the content of this paragraph are not facts regarding COVID-19 but I feel it is relevant as these are some of the biggest topics of discussion in the healthcare field currently. Many doctors/nurses are renting apartments/RVs/living in garages/etc to avoid exposing their families. Just a bad situation all around.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wanted to include this link separately as the visualization is beautiful and I don't want people to miss it: https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...ZgA5_kmIFfkdjk

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Recently an emergency medicine doctor was fired for being outspoken about his hospital's unsafe working conditions. The American Academy of Emergency Medicine is supporting him fully.

And to summarize where we are; we're at >2,200 deaths in the US. Hospitals are being overrun with COVID-19 patients in the hot spots. Most of us suspect there will be many more hotspots throughout the country in the coming weeks. This still likely will not peak in New York for another couple of weeks and in other places for 1-2 months. Many places still do not have enough tests for everyone and many work places are still lacking in personal protective equipment. I cannot overstate how angry healthcare personnel are across the country regarding these two issues. Many have completely lost faith in the CDC after their above noted guidance that people can use a bandana as a mask as a last resort (hint... this does not work). There are several hospitals where people are being told to NOT use PPE as much as typically would be used to help not incite panic and to help conserve resources... this has not gone over well with the people who are actually in the front lines and being exposed. In general people take advantage of healthcare workers all the time as most of us are altruistic and put our patients/families needs over our own but I really hope when this is all over something is done on a large scale to demand safe working conditions for us. The healthcare workers who are getting COVID-19 seem to be hit fairly hard (though this could just selection bias... too early to state with certainty) presumably due to higher viral load at exposure. I realize a lot of the content of this paragraph are not facts regarding COVID-19 but I feel it is relevant as these are some of the biggest topics of discussion in the healthcare field currently. Many doctors/nurses are renting apartments/RVs/living in garages/etc to avoid exposing their families. Just a bad situation all around.
    Can confirm, my dad is an ER doc and his experience over the last 3+ weeks has been crazy (so he says)

I wanted to include this link separately as the visualization is beautiful and I don't want people to miss it: https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...ZgA5_kmIFfkdjk
    One thing I'm not understanding with these graphs and figures (I noticed this in the Johns Hopkins visuals as well), is how we can now be nearing 3/4 of a Million cases in the US, and it's been going on for over a month, with an active illness time of 2-4 weeks (usually), and yet there's almost no reporting of 'recovered' patients?

How can so few people be listed as 'recovered' given the time it's been here and the expected length of illness?
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Can confirm, my dad is an ER doc and his experience over the last 3+ weeks has been crazy (so he says)

One thing I'm not understanding with these graphs and figures (I noticed this in the Johns Hopkins visuals as well), is how we can now be nearing 3/4 of a Million cases in the US, and it's been going on for over a month, with an active illness time of 2-4 weeks (usually), and yet there's almost no reporting of 'recovered' patients?

How can so few people be listed as 'recovered' given the time it's been here and the expected length of illness?
    I think to be listed as recovered someone has to undergo two negative tests 24 hours apart; at least some places are using that as a metric. The vast majority of people are only going to test positive one time and not be tested again. That is my guess; I don't have a great answer. I agree many more will have already gotten out of the dangerous window and are on their way back to normal or fully recovered at this point.