Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thinking About Alternate Day Fasting

- Not for health benefits, but my appetite is pretty big.

- I can cut on 2700, but it's not a lot.

How do you calculate calories going by the above number? I don't want to mindlessly eat on eating days as it would be hard to know how many cals to drop when I plateau.

Trust me, I've searched Google but can't find any solid answers.

Cheers!
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Are you sure you can't manage with 1 or 2 meals a day. Something more like IF. I would be leery of the potential muscle loss with ADF

I guess you could take the view that muscle loss can be recovered more easily than gaining it for the first time. But I personally would only go that route if was backed into a corner in terms of not being able to lose fat another way.

For calories, I guess you should stick to the mantra of not attempting to lose more than 1% per week. Say, that means 2lbs a week, adjust your non fasting days so that the average comes out at -1000 each day.

Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Are you sure you can't manage with 1 or 2 meals a day. Something more like IF. I would be leery of the potential muscle loss with ADF

I guess you could take the view that muscle loss can be recovered more easily than gaining it for the first time. But I personally would only go that route if was backed into a corner in terms of not being able to lose fat another way.

For calories, I guess you should stick to the mantra of not attempting to lose more than 1% per week. Say, that means 2lbs a week, adjust your non fasting days so that the average comes out at -1000 each day.
    I've tried a few meals a day, but it just sounds better to be less restrictive on eating days.

A little example: I could eat 3975 on eating days and 1000 on (not so) fasting days. It should restrict some muscle loss if still eating small amounts on the alternate days. And it adds up the same as 2700 over 7 days.

For me it's a mentality that I can look forward to the next day of feasting and then holding back on restrictive days.
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    That's not as bad as I expected. If you want to try that, I would make that 1000 calories mostly from protein

Registered User readreindeer666's Avatar
    readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If your baseline is 2700 calories try to eat 2200 for -1lb fat per week

serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a pretty big appetite too. I'll just keep eating and eating. I find the 20-4 fasting is best for me. I deal w hunger all day and have a big ass meal at end of night. High volume to stay full.

Idk how the 24 hour fasting works if you can split calories like that, I think you'd be able to, I've heard of people going low calorie all week because they have an event on the weekend.

In essence "saving" calories for the weekend so they can feast.

You should really try it. Experiment w yourself.

Track your calories, keep track of the scale and mirror progress.

I wouldn't do this every week personally, because it feels chaotic to ME. But I'd say experiment.

I'm at day 70 of my cut. At day 90 I'm planning on fasting for 24 hours cause I've heard of autophagy and I want to see what it's like.
    Please respond..

Originally Posted by serjioc View Post
    I've heard of autophagy and I want to see what it's like.
    This is mostly speculation - there no solid evidence.

However, there is solid evidence that protein timing is important so if you don't want to lose muscle, at least aim to get a shake in during long periods without food.

serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) serjioc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This is mostly speculation - there no solid evidence.

However, there is solid evidence that protein timing is important so if you don't want to lose muscle, at least aim to get a shake in during long periods without food.
    Autophagy is speculation? I'm not utilizing for fat loss. I'm more interested in this part:

"Autophagy is a normal physiological process in the body that deals with destruction of cells in the body. It maintains homeostasis or normal functioning by protein degradation and turnover of the destroyed cell organelles for new cell formation. During cellular stress the process of Autophagy is upscaled and increased."

Not super worried about a lot of muscle loss from one day of not eating my calories. I guess i should have specified, this is the fat loss area of the forum. Lol
    Please respond..

The notion that fasting improves health via autophagy is the speculative part. It's just another fitness bandwagon until we see some objective evidence.

You should be worried about muscle loss or at least muscle retention - protein synthesis still matters during a diet.

The notion that fasting improves health via autophagy is the speculative part. It's just another fitness bandwagon until we see some objective evidence.

You should be worried about muscle loss or at least muscle retention - protein synthesis still matters during a diet.
    Ah got you, I see your point. I'm not worried man I'm going to try it anyways.
    Please respond..

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ah got you, I see your point. I'm not worried man I'm going to try it anyways.
    Try it for what? You can't measure autophagy, so even if that concept were true, you'd never know...
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Try it for what? You can't measure autophagy, so even if that concept were true, you'd never know...
    Cause I feel like it lol listen i get your guys point. You both are huge and lots of muscle mass but I can do whatever I chose.
    Please respond..

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cause I feel like it lol listen i get your guys point. You both are huge and lots of muscle mass but I can do whatever I chose.
    I'm not huge... i'm quite slender...

obviously you can do whatever you want, we're providing information not commanding you.

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I'm not huge... i'm quite slender...

obviously you can do whatever you want, we're providing information not commanding you.
    You're quite fit man. I don't doubt any of your guys information.
    Please respond..

You're quite fit man. I don't doubt any of your guys information.
    Thanks... I still need to gain about 30lb of muscle, but I feel good and have good health markers which is better than many!

EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Paulie1986 View Post
    I've tried a few meals a day, but it just sounds better to be less restrictive on eating days.

A little example: I could eat 3975 on eating days and 1000 on (not so) fasting days. It should restrict some muscle loss if still eating small amounts on the alternate days. And it adds up the same as 2700 over 7 days.

For me it's a mentality that I can look forward to the next day of feasting and then holding back on restrictive days.
    I also struggle with a large appetite. Had a lot of success losing fat eating about 1800-1900 4 days a week and then higher on weekends for a long time. The weekly average calories will determine your weight loss. Eat only filling food on those "diet days" and try to get the minimum recommended protein and fat intake (see the stickies in this forum). This is a "light" version of your proposed fasting approach that will make it easier to guard against muscle loss.

At some point you should probably start working on fixing your relationship with food. The above approach may help "retraining" yourself as you will not be able to binge like you used to, but you will still have some days where you feel you can relax your diet more.

Over time on the above approach you will start to notice that there is a difference between "I am hungry" and "I could eat". When you notice that, you can start gradually reducing the variance in calories between days and thus gradually start practicing moderation.
    Last edited by EiFit91; 04-16-2021 at 12:30 PM.