Thread: Dirty Bulking

olivuhh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Dirty Bulking

Is dirty bulking really a thing? My brother(18, ~180 lbs) will goto the gym and do strength training for about an hour and then come home and eat an entire hershey’s cookie pie from pizza hut in a few hours (1596 calories, 71g fat, 36g saturated fat, 207g carbs, 143g sugar, 80 mg cholesterol and 16g protein) and he says it’s healthy for him and helping him build muscle. is this true?

zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zRibs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I’m against the whole dirty bulking thing. I used to think I had to eat in a significant surplus to grow... I mean it did work... but I also became a fat ass. Here’s my .02 cents, if you don’t mind putting on that fat, go for it. Just know you only need a slight surplus to grow, and the more of the surplus = more fat gain. I made extremely good progress in the gym, and I’m not gonna lie it was fun eating like that. But will never do it again, since now you have to cut a significant amount of body fat. Anyways your brother may be also extremely active and have a fast metabolism. Some people need to eat like that to get all there calories in. Is it healthy, no. Does it work, yes. A calorie is a calorie, but the foods from what you get your calories from do matter. You lack a lot of vital nutrients/vitamins from not having a well-balanced diet. Anyways hoped this helped.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    'Dirty' bulking is in every way a ridiculous and pointless practice used by broscience gym rats who have zero knowledge of how the body or nutrition works. There are two different aspects here:

Dirty bulking as in a massive excess of calories to 'build more muscle': you do not need a massive excess of calories to build muscle. You need a small surplus (maybe 2-300 calories, gaining 0.5lb per week). Your body can only synthesize muscle at a certain rate (again around 0.5lb a week if you're lucky) and eating more will not change that (the only exception to this is if your brother is using anabolic steroids, in which case any advice he gives you is irrelevant to you anyhow providing you aren't using). Anything you eat over the top of this will be stored as fat, no questions, no exceptions. To add to this, nutrient timing around workouts has minimal to no effect on your muscle gain. Your nutrition and diet over the course of weeks and months determines muscle gain, eating directly after your workout or eating significantly more directly after a workout will have no impact on long term results (and with muscle gain, all results are long term, not day to day).

Dirty bulking as in eating a lot of junk food: Terrible for your health but makes no difference in terms of your composition. If you eat 3500 calories of mcdonalds or 3500 calories of fish, rice and chicken breast, providing your minimum protein requirements are met, you will gain exactly the same in terms of body composition (fat, muscle, weight in general). It is obviously recommended that you eat more healthily, but that is in the interest of your health, not because it will change your body composition results.

So in both senses dirty bulking is in essence a load of Sh*t and the bro-science is strong in your brother, I'd advise you read this forum and ignore (without exception) every other thing he tries to tell you about bodybuilding or nutrition.

Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eat for the physique you want. Dirty bulking most certainly isn’t going to get you there. If it is, re-examine your goals.
    Left handed manlet with a C&C permit from Georgia

Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It's stupid.
    Control group crew membership revoked 7/5/2022 1:50pm PST not proud.

Inb4 honorable FDA/CDC/NIH/WHO representatives

J.L.C,
    NextPound,
    mgftp,
    SillieBazzillie.

CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It may be cost effective, knowing how inexpensive junk food is.

But you'll likely gain significant health and skin problems along with the bulking, and do not even get me started on the bowel movements! If you're having trouble putting on mass or want to put on more mass I am sure there's a dietitian you can work with that'll make better recommendations...

At the end of the day even if you have significant mass, it will be all for nothing when people look at you from the neck up and run away from you because you're a walking pimple hoarder...

jhonnichole is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To be honest, Personally I’m against the whole dirty bulking thing just eat for you body

Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100) Cal0rieKing is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's definitely not optimal.

Any diet where you're eating more than your TDEE will be effective in gaining weight. However these dirty bulks however also result in eating high quantities of sugar and processed oils. Most importantly these dirty bulking foods don't provide adequate micronutrients, which is what makes it "unhealthy".