ChillGonzales is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb How to get off the wild ride of "swing" dieting?

Hey all,

I'm a 27m casual lifter and am looking to get people's thoughts on what I've started calling 'swing dieting'. Basically, I feel like I alternate between losing focus on my diet and getting fat, and being laser focused on a very rigid diet to lose that fat.

The problem is this sort of constant swing just leads to me always being concerned about my diet, not to mention my weight. To me, this is wasted mental energy and just seems like the wrong way of going about it.

So are there any other casual lifters out there that have found a system for keeping up with their diet long term? I'm starting to wonder if the right answer is to focus less on counting calories and macros and focus more on the results of what I'm eating (energy, sleep quality, mood, gym performance, etc.).

I'm really curious if there are any tools (books, apps, websites, etc.) or approaches that people have found to help them keep up a solid lifestyle diet.

Thoughts?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Look up IIFYM. Eat a variety of foods that you LIKE and ENJOY. Then, when following a reasonable deficit, you should be able to stick with your 'diet' without feeling you are being too restrictive or in prison.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    To me, my diet starts at the grocery store. Buy healthy food and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes I buy 10 lbs of chicken leg quarters and cook them all in my pellet grill. That's enough food for 3-4 days. Sometimes I buy a 5 pound tri tip steak, then I cut off 6-8 oz portions right before I cook them. Sometimes I buy 3 lbs of hamburger and make the whole thing into 5 oz patties. Like the chicken, I cook them all on the pellet grill and have enough food for several days.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Look up IIFYM. Eat a variety of foods that you LIKE and ENJOY. Then, when following a reasonable deficit, you should be able to stick with your 'diet' without feeling you are being too restrictive or in prison.
    This ^^

You should not be following a 'laser focused diet'. You should be eating a variety of tasty filling foods in whatever form you want. Eat chocolate, have ice cream, have a beer. Just focus on your macro goals and generally favouring more nutritious foods to keep you full and healthy.

This should always be the norm, the only thing that changes is the calorie goal.

For instance I'm cutting and today I've had curry, bacon, ice cream and steak. So long as you can get a good dose of nutrition in and it fits within your calorie allowance and protein goals, there is no need to obsess. Obsession leads to restriction, boredom and stress. And ultimately to failure to sustain the lifestyle and stay within your goal physique