View Poll Results: Chest day - Barbell or Dumbbell

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barbell

1 14.29%
  • Dumbbell

6 85.71%
    Registered User FitBodyRyanLong's Avatar
    FitBodyRyanLong is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Barbell or Dumbbell Better for the chest muscle group ????

+ If talking about Chest muscle training, barbell always helps you to get heavier, I often choose barbell bench press to be the first lesson of the chest training. And can practice 4 sets from 100lb to 220lb. Exercises with barbell help increase overall strength, balance, the combination of shoulder and back muscles. Obviously, when exercising with barbell, you can easily exercise heavier weight.
    + In contrast to dumbbell certainly the weight you exercise is only about 80% compared to barbell but if so, the chest muscles will be less developed. I see that each problem will develop in a different way. When practicing dumbbell will shake more, losing power up and down from the ground more, pushing up and down will shake more. But the overall you get will be diverse development of muscles.
    So what are your options ???

Runie Fitness

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Both

Any exercise is a tool. The trick is picking the right tool for the job, not throwing out as many tools as possible.

Barbell presses involve more triceps and are more forgiving of slips in form. They can also be microloaded more easily. Barbell bench can be dangerous if you train on your own however.

Dumbbells do not fix your arm width which means you can follow a path that involves keeping forearms vertical - which is more ideal for focusing on the pecs (I believe EMG tests confirm this for whatever that is worth). They can also be used without a rack.

kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000) kenjoshx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by FitBodyRyanLong View Post
    In contrast to dumbbell certainly the weight you exercise is only about 80% compared to barbell
    Interesting. I'll test that out once they decontaminate all the coronas from the gym.

Keep in mind that for any two-handed exercises holding the same object (bars vs dumbbells/cables), you're liable to have one arm do the work for the other one if you're not paying attention, potentially creating imbalances. Having said that; for the flat bench press I recommend the barbell over anything else, every time. Based purely on results.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to prefer dumbbells for chest, but then I started expending too much energy getting the dumbbells into position.

When using dumbbells, even with a spotter, I also used to worry about my elbow caving in and the dumbbell landing on my face.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The only chest exercise I like to do with dumbbells are pullovers, other than that I have never found any chest pressing movement with dumbbells effective, but that's just me.

A barbell and dips for me.

George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Both are equal honestly. For some people, there isn’t much of a difference in weight moved either. Last week I incline barbell pressed 205x8 for a few sets. Yesterday I got 8 reps on incline dumbbell with the 100s without an issue. I think it’s best to use both equally and build your strength with barbells and dumbbells