UkrainianLift is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question about training through soreness

I started my program about 8 weeks ago and I do legs either 1 or 2 times a week. Consisting of squats, lunges, calf raises, stairmaster.

Quick question, 2 days ago I went on a walk and I havent ran in a while so i decided to run the 2 miles. I ran the the 2 miles and My muscles are still extremely sore its been about 36 hours or so. Quads, hamdstrings are most sore. Can barely walk , especially up or down stairs.

Today is leg day should i do my usual leg workout even though sore, or should I do chest/tris/shoulders today and save leg day for tomm or monday. I do not want to get injured if its more risky for injury. Thanks

scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50) scottcool will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by UkrainianLift View Post
    I started my program about 8 weeks ago and I do legs either 1 or 2 times a week. Consisting of squats, lunges, calf raises, stairmaster.

Quick question, 2 days ago I went on a walk and I havent ran in a while so i decided to run the 2 miles. I ran the the 2 miles and My muscles are still extremely sore its been about 36 hours or so. Quads, hamdstrings are most sore. Can barely walk , especially up or down stairs.

Today is leg day should i do my usual leg workout even though sore, or should I do chest/tris/shoulders today and save leg day for tomm or monday. I do not want to get injured if its more risky for injury. Thanks
    Legs usually remain sore for me up to the next leg day. That being said if it's too much or you are too sore you need to listen to your body and rest or have a lighter day. it hurts for a reason.
    Click my name and visit my homepage, The Barebell.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're so sore you can barely walk then definitely do NOT try to train through it. Training through a bit of soreness is fine but trying to train through significant soreness is bad for several reasons:

1. Strength decreases with significant soreness and thus trying to program with this in mind is going to be hard.
    2. Soreness is likely going to lead to altered movement patterns which will increase the risk of soreness.
    3. If you're so sore that you can barely walk you need to be somewhat mindful of potential rhabdomyolysis. If you're urine is a normal color this is likely not happening but doing another hard workout may put you at greater risk of going into it.
    4. Soreness typically peaks at 24-48 hours normally. However, if you really push it too hard (and it sounds like you did) it can peak at 48-72 hours, so you may get even worse prior to getting better. Training through this will just further impede recovery.

UkrainianLift is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    If you're so sore you can barely walk then definitely do NOT try to train through it. Training through a bit of soreness is fine but trying to train through significant soreness is bad for several reasons:

1. Strength decreases with significant soreness and thus trying to program with this in mind is going to be hard.
    2. Soreness is likely going to lead to altered movement patterns which will increase the risk of soreness.
    3. If you're so sore that you can barely walk you need to be somewhat mindful of potential rhabdomyolysis. If you're urine is a normal color this is likely not happening but doing another hard workout may put you at greater risk of going into it.
    4. Soreness typically peaks at 24-48 hours normally. However, if you really push it too hard (and it sounds like you did) it can peak at 48-72 hours, so you may get even worse prior to getting better. Training through this will just further impede recovery.
    Sorry I can walk with mild soreness, but up and down stairs is extreme soreness. I never got this sore doing leg day. Is it because I havent ran in a while? Running gave me way more soreness than my usual leg day. I think i will do chest today, and do leg day tomm or monday.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is almost certainly because you haven't run in awhile and then ran 2 full miles. Any new stress on the body can induce a lot of soreness potentially.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No take leg day off.
    Foam roll,massage,stretch.
    Get the lactic acid moving out of your muscles.
    Maybe some easy walking and or biking in the meantime.